Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
EOC Rank: Seagull
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day! Well, Rainy day here in Las Vegas, but Anyhow...

Check engine light came on in my 03 Element, took it to Autozone to find out why.
Code came back as:
Cylinder number 1 misfire with possible causes: 1. Vaccum leak affecting one cylinder 2. Ignition System Concern 3. Blocked/Faulty injector 4. Engine mechanical Condition

So, I changed my plugs, assuming this might be the issue as I have had it since April 09' and never changed them. No luck. Decided to move the injector coil from #1 to #4, thinking this would tell me if the injector coil was the issue. Light came back on. Took Ele to Autozone once again to have the light checked. Now im getting a misfire in #1 and #2 with nothing about #4.

Got back home and indivually unplugged each chip from the injectors, same sputter with each injector.

Looked at all lines to/from the intake maifold with no visible leaks.

HELP... once again:twisted::twisted::twisted:

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I ease off the brakes just a bit, the car shakes slightly with the RPM's raising a very small amount.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I'm confused. Did you unplug the coil or the Injector?

The coil is the thing that connects to the spark plug. The Injector's are located on the front of the engine and are connected with tubing.

If you have a defective coil it may not brake down at idle. It may only lose it's capability at a certan rpm, and up. Although they can fail completely, and stop working at any RPM, it's more common to have them fail at 1500 to 2500 RPMs first.

Injectors are slightly more tricky to diagnose. They may be only partially blocked.

Other things can also cause the misfire code.

Without being able to look at it, and test the injectors, it's not easy to say.

However, It sounds like you did something wrong to cause the second code to display. You should start with all the connections to the coils and plugs.

Dom

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I unplugged the injectors.

What do you mean by "tubing"? Fuel rail? Fuel lines?

Car runs great at low/high RPMs, just a litttttle off when braking, only sometimes.

How would you reccomend testing the injectors?

THANK you for your suggestions ;-)

·
12,179 Posts
I unplugged the injectors.

What do you mean by "tubing"? Fuel rail? Fuel lines?

Car runs great at low/high RPMs, just a litttttle off when braking, only sometimes.

How would you reccomend testing the injectors?

THANK you for your suggestions ;-)

At this point i have to ask.....Do you have a service manual?

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAHAHA!! I have it on order, it has taken autozone 3 weeks to get the manual... reseaching online now for online version

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I find it amazing, that the engine runs at all.

Dom

·
Registered
176 Posts
Good Day! Well, Rainy day here in Las Vegas, but Anyhow...

Check engine light came on in my 03 Element, took it to Autozone to find out why.
Code came back as:
Cylinder number 1 misfire with possible causes: 1. Vaccum leak affecting one cylinder 2. Ignition System Concern 3. Blocked/Faulty injector 4. Engine mechanical Condition

So, I changed my plugs, assuming this might be the issue as I have had it since April 09' and never changed them. No luck. Decided to move the injector coil from #1 to #4, thinking this would tell me if the injector coil was the issue. Light came back on. Took Ele to Autozone once again to have the light checked. Now im getting a misfire in #1 and #2 with nothing about #4.

Got back home and indivually unplugged each chip from the injectors, same sputter with each injector.

Looked at all lines to/from the intake maifold with no visible leaks.

HELP... once again:twisted::twisted::twisted:
Hey Moesele,
What happened afterwards?
I'm getting the same misfire with my Element on the 1st cylinder.

I just had the same problem with my 2003 element:
Check engine light was flashing, rough idle, loss of power.
I searched online to do my research.

Unplugged each coil and put them back in, noticed that the 1st coil was at fault because when I unplugged it the engine didn't bogg down.
Luckily, I had an extra coil lying around, changed it and voila! the ride is smooth again. Now I just have to take it to Autozone or Pepboys to do a diagnostic check.

Thanks ya'll!

·
2 Posts
element miss fire

I have a 03 element I'm getting same systems. Put new plugs in it and it still is miss firing. Seems to be only doing it at low rpms. Had it hooked to computer and it said cylinders 1,3,4 are all miss fire. Was thinking coil packs but I've never heard of 3 going out at same time. Any advice would be helpful. Love my element and want it back to normal lol.

·
2 Posts
It's silver lol. It's an 03 so whatever color for that year. It has 145,000 on it. Just got it about 3months ago. Has an Rtitle just had minor front end damage was easy fix. Ran some fuel cleaner threw it didn't seem to do anything. Feels like bad plugs or wires but since it has the packs wasn't sure if it was them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is several months old, but I wanted to see if you had solved your problem because I think I have the same one.

My check engine light came on a while ago. The first time I had the code checked, it said it was the spark plugs. So we checked on them and they all looked the same and alright but changed one out anyway.

It came on again and said spark plugs again, so I ignored it. It went off on its own.

It come on a third time and I asked the O'Reilly Auto guy to check the code, apparently it said "ignition coil or timing chain."

We checked the ignition coils and one caused the engine to die down less, but not by much. We also used the multimeter to check the ignition coils and two were slightly less than the other two but not by much.

I needed to get my alignment done so when I did I asked them to run the code reader. It said: O2 Sensor, Exhaused Valve Adjustment and that all cylinders were misfiring.

My educated guess was that it was still the Ignition Coils but after reading this thread it sounds like that may not be the problem.

My 03 Element has ~140k on it.

When it's cold and I try to start it, it won't always start and when it does, it starts pretty rough. It used to sometimes die when I started by backing up a hill, not it dies when it's cold and when I pull out my parking spot slowly.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Botanygal. Thank you for including your location in your profile.

Actually the thread is more than seven years old, but you were right not to start a new thread on the same topic. Unfortunately neither Moesele03 (last login: 12-18-2013) nor Nestor32 (01-30-2017) came back to report on their findings.

It might help for us to know the code(s).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts