Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your advice guys! I think I've read every single thread on coilovers on the forum. But still, after all this, I'm not sure which one to go with between D2 and Tein. I'm aware that Tein released a newer model which is now named the Tein Street basis for the Honda Element instead of the Tein Basic. They might have fixed something or not nobody knows.

Here is the link on the Tein blog:

http://teinusa-blog.com/street-basis-for-the-honda-element/

The D2 seem to have more adjustability. I live up in Canada where winters are pretty rough and I would need to raise the coilovers all the way up for winter. I could put the stock suspension back but I don't want to waste my time doing stuff like that.. My biggest concern is having problems with them such as something breaking or if I hit a pothole or a bump, which coilover would best take the hit..

A lot of you have experience with Tein, not as much with D2 but I still want your opinions. I need to have a ride that goes as close as possible to stock height. I know it won't go all the way up but maybe 1-1.5" closer to stock height.
I'm really mixed up with all the comments, there are good ones and bad ones all over the place for both products. Tell me what you guys are rolling on and if you think I should go with the new Tein or the D2s.

Thanks in advance.

Fred

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Im rolling on ksport but honestly dont think you can wrong with either one. Everybody has their quirks, I personally love my sports. I did a bunch reading and reviews then pulled the trigger for ksport the front had camber plates. If you dont like the set up I know theyd go fast if you sold em

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im rolling on ksport but honestly dont think you can wrong with either one. Everybody has their quirks, I personally love my sports. I did a bunch reading and reviews then pulled the trigger for ksport the front had camber plates. If you dont like the set up I know theyd go fast if you sold em
Yeah, but ksports is pretty much like D2 right? That's what I've heard

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
i had the basics on my 05 and will have them on my 09 and never had any issues. only thing about them is the rears are very soft and need to be revalved for slamming it with higher spring rates. also if im not mistaken the d2 and ksports come complete and the teins require OEM parts to be ordered or taken off the factory rears.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I have no idea if D2 & Ksport are alike. They look the same and seem to have same spring rate and adjustability but I'm not sure. I also liked the fact that there is a factory for Ksport in Arizona that will work on them if need be, sit know If D2 has that option. I kkow the guys that do have D2s like them as well as the Tein. My only beef is that mine rear is a tad bouncy. Not losing shock travel and ability to make it stiff or soft was I why I went the way I did. If I had the money to buy the Tein plus send them back to Japan To get revalved I would but my budget didn't allow that

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had the basics on my 05 and will have them on my 09 and never had any issues. only thing about them is the rears are very soft and need to be revalved for slamming it with higher spring rates. also if im not mistaken the d2 and ksports come complete and the teins require OEM parts to be ordered or taken off the factory rears.
But new ones are coming out right now, not sure about what they changed on them and if they are better.
But is it a definite "need" to get the Teins revalved and get stiffer springs? Because I seem to be leaning for Tein and right now I wouldn't have the budget to get some work done on them..
How long will they last if I don't send them to Tein for stiffer springs and revalving?
I'm looking to go as low as I can without any rubbing, and lift them back up for winter.
Are there any chances that the top mounts for the OEM strut assemblies are rusted or anything like that and that I might have trouble reusing those for the Teins?

I know I have a lot of questions.. sorry :-o

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
you should be fine to reuse them. its just more of a pain then needed. that was my thought. i can tell you that you will rub if you go super low without revalving them i did all the time. i was like 8 threads fromt the bottom in the rear when i stopped rubbing all the time. they last for a while the revalving is just so you can go low.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So how do u keep them from being "bouncy" in the back?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
springs that can hold more weight?? the ksport out of the box are rated at 9.8K & 15K. When i have my suspension on the softer side i noticed it was way more bouncy however when its on the stiff side it isnt but it is a little roughr of a ride. So i put it in the middle where it's not to bouncy and not to stiff.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well i hear of people getting them revalved so i wasnt sure which was the case to control the bouncy bounce

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lowered Es are the best! Which is why i can't wait to lower mine! ? can i order some heavier duty springs and change them out myself or i would really have to send them to tein?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not so much that. It's the combination of the stiffer springs and the vale change of the damping force
ahhhh alright, so I'm guessing there's no way of doing it yourself right? What does it really change when you upgrade the springs and revalve the coilovers?

Upgraded springs, from what I understand, are a way of making the rear of the E stronger, stiffer and would help with rubbing when you hit big bumps right?

BTW, I will most probably be rolling my fenders myself as well. Seems like a pretty easy job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I trimmed mine myself. But yes it makes the rears stiffer and stronger. Right you can not revalve them yourself
I now had some good tips from another Element owner in Canada. She suggested the Ksports because of the adjustability. Even though she had tweaked BC Racing coilovers for the RSX on hers. I asked her about this modification of these coilovers and waiting on a response. So right now, I'm leaning for ksport since I can adjust the dampening and the fronts have a top pillow ball mount.

About the installation, coilovers seem pretty straight forward to install since the Ksports comme as one whole thing and you don't need to reuse anything from the stock suspension. Are there any issues you ran into during the install or some advice you might have for me?

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I went with Island Motorsports in Orange county to put mine in. I think im mechanically inclined enough to do myself but the warrsnty is voided if you dont have them instslled by a professional and didnt want to chance it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went with Island Motorsports in Orange county to put mine in. I think im mechanically inclined enough to do myself but the warrsnty is voided if you dont have them instslled by a professional and didnt want to chance it.
Yes that's true, it's something I should look into. When I install them, what height should I put since I'm AWD and how do I know if it will be the same on every corner? Should I measure the space of the threaded sleeves and make it the same for the rears and the same for the fronts?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
If your awd I wouldn't go lower than 1 and 3/4 inch from stock height. Lower than that and you'll be swapping rear axles because they'll be popping out. Get an ingalls rear camber kit for the install

1 - 20 of 22 Posts