Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope someone within the E community can give me some advice on how to solve an issue I have with my 07 SC. The dash lights (HVAC controls, radio, and shifter) will not dim by using the dimmer knob like they used to; the instrument cluster lights work fine except that do not light up without the key in the ignition. I think all started after a short that occurred while testing the terminals of the shifter light bulb, a fuse went out; I replaced the fuse and the taillight relay which controls the dash lights thinking that could be damaged, but no luck. Any help will be appreciated!!
An Update: 4/12/13 As of now the lights went out completely. After reading some posts in the EOC and some research I think the dimmer circuit board burnt out, therefore the solution would be replace the cluster. I found a refurbished one for a good price, now I have a new issue - how to reset the mileage

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dimming lights issue

Have a 2006 element and have an issue with the dash lights and the headlights at the same time dimming down low and then coming right back up to full brightness. It does this while idling or while driving it doesn't make a difference which. It doesn't effect the rpms of the engine at all. Its just the lights. Does anyone know why???? Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Check the battery terminals, make sure they're nice and tight, and not corroded. Make a run to the auto parts store and have the battery and alternator tested. If all that checks out, make sure the lead from the alternator to the battery is up to snuff as well.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Fez12133.

+1 on cleaning and resecuring cables—especially grounds—on both ends. In addition to the battery negative cable, check and service the chassis-to-transmission strap and this cable over on the passenger's side of the engine bay.

If you establish the soundness of connections and the problem persists, you might have a bad electronic load detector (aka voltage regulator) or, less likely, alternator. A thread-title search for keyword "ELD" will return relevant threads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts