Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: My 2005 has just 3,300 miles on it and the dashboard lights went out today. I checked some of the fuses but they seem to be okay. I don't have the patience to check them all and the mosquitos are swarming outside.

Does anybody know exactly which fuse (#, engne compartment fuse box or interior) controls the dashboard lights? It is not clear in the fuse guide in the owners manual. I hate to bring the E in and be without a car for an entire day becasue of a simple blown fuse.

Of course it might be more than just the fuse. Anyone else had this problem or knwo which fuse to check?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed!

Problem fixed! It ended up being a bad relay in the wires. Took about three hours for them to figure it out and fix. The dealer told me this is the third 2005 they have had with similar problems on the relays.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dash Lights not Coming On

2005 2WD EX 4 Speed Automatic, 7,000 miles- I'm on the road before sunrise, and about every 3rd day, when I turn the switch on the turn indicator, my dash lights don't activate, although the needle on the speedmeter and tachometer do light up. Swithching the lights back off and then on again do not trigger the dash lights. The radio panel LCD is also blacked out..
Has anybody else had this problemo?
:confused:

·
Registered
541 Posts
some folks have had a problem with the 12v plug causing issues with the radio as well. There is a thread on it around here somewhere....:|

·
Registered
8 Posts
12v

Exactly, I did a search on (12 Volt problems w/ power outlet) and found similar experiences on the Yahoo Group of Honda Element Owners bulletin board and on this site as well. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same issue only intermittantly. I'll be driving to work and halfway there, the dash lights go out, leaving the haedlights on. Then the next time I use the car they're OK. Then a few days, a week or a month later it will happen again. The dealer says they can't fix it if it ain't broke. I'll be out of warranty shortly and I'm not looking forward to a big bill to fix it when it finally dies completely. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same issue only intermittantly. I'll be driving to work and halfway there, the dash lights go out, leaving the haedlights on. Then the next time I use the car they're OK. Then a few days, a week or a month later it will happen again. The dealer says they can't fix it if it ain't broke. I'll be out of warranty shortly and I'm not looking forward to a big bill to fix it when it finally dies completely. Any suggestions?
The dash lights went out and stayed out for a day - long enough to get it to the dealer for diagnosis. The fix, applied a couple days later, was to replace the entire instrument cluster, thereby giving me an odometer that read 000000.0 and dropped the resale value of the Element by 1/3 (not verifiable mileage)
Luckily, I'd had the car appraised by the same dealer a couple days before the repair and traded it for a left over 07 CRV. I figure I lost about 1,500 on the trade, but it's their problem now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
dash lights out

Mine, a 2005 EX is having it's dash replaced next week. The dealer is going to remove the old dash, send it in to a regional repair place, have the data moved to the new dash, get the new dash (with old data) back and then re-install.
So the miles will be actual.
They already have taken it apart, put it back together while looking for a loose connection.
The dealer is giving me a loaner for the week that this is supposed to take.
Glad it is still covered under warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
New Instrument Panel

When I went in for my 20,000 mile scheduled maintenance, the instrument panel lights were not working, and I ask the dealership to check it out. They couldn't find any problems with the electrical to explain the problem. I got the car back that day and figured I would have to live with the problem. The following day, I get a phone call from the parts department, telling me that my new instrument panel was in and that I needed to schedule an appointment with the service advisor. There must be some T.S.B. out there only for the technicians that says this is the way to fix the problem (and at their expense). My Odometer was back at zero, but they slap a Federally Mandated sticker on the inside driver door chasis stating what the real mileage was at the time of the new odometer swap. My dash lights now come on without problems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't nuke your home to solve your termite problem

Ditto on the dashlights here as well guys. My problem was slightly different in that only the center cluster/climate control wheels/fanspeed/vent control lights at first did not always light up. Initially, with a slight "Fonzie" style tap, they would relight. The tap trick didn't last unfortunately, and soon I was in permanent climate control darkness. I finally got sick of it after 2years of "temperature blindness," and elected to PAY to get it fixed. The first visit wasn't so bad. I had the brake fluid changed out at the sametime, so it was a dual-purpose service visit. After they had ordered the bulbs for the panel, I had scheduled my 2nd visit for the following week.
The 2nd visit was the killer. Not only was I nailed for a total $240 in the course of 2 visits for changing 3 lightbulbs, but I was given the bonus of having a lost plastic screw protector hub that covered the bottom of the sub-woofer console that was in perfect place BEFORE my 2nd visit. Add to that 2 very nice straighthead screwdriver gouges that some numbnut mechanic decided was a proper tool to pop my dashboard out with.
I don't have the time or the intestinal fortitude to reclaim the plastic hub or the 2 screwdriver gouges but rest assured, I wont be heading back to the local Honda dealership to have them assail my -E- ever again.

And yes, the lights do come on now. But compare it to dropping a thermonuclear device on your home to solve a termite problem.

I suggest a braille dial for fellow -E- owners with similar difficulty.

-Shmee

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dashboard Lights Partially Out

I noticed while driving the other night that from 0-40 MPH, the light has faded, while the 45-120 MPH part is full on. The tachometer from 5-8 is also dimmer.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so, is it easy to replace/fix...and NOT EXPENSIVE? I'm hoping it's a fuse they can replace. And before anyone asks, yes, my dashboard illumination knob is turned at full-tilt boogie.

Thanks.

·
12,177 Posts
I noticed while driving the other night that from 0-40 MPH, the light has faded, while the 45-120 MPH part is full on. The tachometer from 5-8 is also dimmer.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so, is it easy to replace/fix...and NOT EXPENSIVE? I'm hoping it's a fuse they can replace. And before anyone asks, yes, my dashboard illumination knob is turned at full-tilt boogie.

Thanks.

Sounds to me like you have a bulb or two burnt out. There is a chance that you have a bad circuit board but i would try replacing the bulbs first. It is a lot cheaper and you can do it yourself.

Here is a page from Ramblerdans site with the how-to info.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/instrument_bulbs.htm

And you can order the bulbs from your dealer or online.

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda_parts_list.php?hp_queried_components=0&hp_series_id=2421&hp_series_model=ELEMENT&hp_series_year=2004&hp_series_door_ext_grade=5DR+EX+4WD;ABS&hp_series_transmission=4AT&hp_series_slsareacd=KA&hp_system=E&hp_component=B++1210

For the cost of the bulbs it may be worth your while to just replace them all at once.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm always up for a do-it-yourself challenge. I called my local Honda dealer, and it's a $91 per-hour charge just for them to look at it. No thanks.

Problem is...once I get the dash part off, is it possible to tell if I've got burned-out bulbs or a short?

How sexist of me, but this is the time I really need a man :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solutions without replacement?

Has anybody fixed the above problems without having a instrument cluster replaced? I'm having similar intermittant issues where the backlights on the instrument cluster and the central cluster/HVAC knobs don't light up. Lately, the lights regularly don't come on, but at first it was just periodically they wouldn't be on. I've checked both fuse boxes, but all the fuses appear fine.

The needles on the speedometer, tachometer, etc all work, but the backlights simply don't come on. Also, the radio works when the headlights are switched off, but upon switching the headlights on the light for that also fails to work.

My vehicle was purchased used and is out of warrenty, so I would love to have a solution that doesn't require replacing the instrument cluster at a service shop. Thanks

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
No Dashboard Lights....help!

Problem with dash lights.

I can tell you what it is not, but perhaps someone has a clue to what the problem is.

It is not a fuse:
a. The dash illuminates intermittently
b. Fuse(s) has been checked and change, problem still exists

What triggers the dash lights to illuminate is not tied to:
a. Hitting a bump
b. The car being warmed up after running for a while
c. Hot or cold weather (problem first started in Florida and continues in the colder mid-Atlantic climes)

What will illuminate (light up)
Note that the entire dash is dark (see photo) except the orange needles of the tachometer, speedometer and fuel gauge. Also, the green light circle shift indicator does illuminate for all positions (i.e., drive, park, etc.), and the air recirculation and air conditioning lights will illuminate if the button is engaged. Turn signal indicator lights do illuminate and blink when used. Cruise control indicator illuminates as well.

What is totally dark, will not illuminate:
1. The radio display (I have the original EX xmradio)
2. The face of the meters (tachometer, speedometer, fuel gauge)—that’s right at night I cannot visibly tell what speed I am traveling or if I am out of gas, etc.

FYI…I had a 60,000 mile check up just before Thanksgiving. The problem started on Dec. 5, 2008. Sorry for the crappy photo. It was taken with my cell phone (no flash), at night, while driving.

dash.jpg

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Bad connection, either in a connector or ground. Reseat connectors, check/clean/tighten ground cluster. Service and/or electrical manual will point you to the appropriate connectors and the ground (I think it's on the left footwell, behind the garnish, but don't hold me to it). Unfortunately these electrical gremlins can be hard to trace.

I take it that the front side lights, front parking lights, license plate light, and taillights are all OK. Are the gauges themselves working?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
^ +1

I know you, so I know you can't wait for a meet, when we can rip your E apart. ( I would Enjoy that :D ) There are enough of us to figure it out. The trouble is that electrical items take some testing. That will help rule out the things that don't need to be looked at.

For example: A quick jumper from the Ckt board to ground will tell you if the ground is bad. So you will not have to take apart an unnecessary portion of the car. A quick removal of the plug and then snap it back in once or twice may be all it needs to clean a contact in the plug.

Then it maybe that a Florida rat ate your wires. ( They like Imported foods )

Dom

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Bad connection, either in a connector or ground. Reseat connectors, check/clean/tighten ground cluster. Service and/or electrical manual will point you to the appropriate connectors and the ground (I think it's on the left footwell, behind the garnish, but don't hold me to it). Unfortunately these electrical gremlins can be hard to trace.

I take it that the front side lights, front parking lights, license plate light, and taillights are all OK. Are the gauges themselves working?
Thanks.

Yes the front side lights, front parking lights, license plate light, and taillights are all working fine as are all the gauges.

I figured it's some sort of loose connection but I didn't know where to begin to look. I know I'll have to take the E into a dealer but at least I am more informed and can try to stave off the dealer telling me ridiculous information AND ripping me off. I wish I could talk directly to the guy actually working on my car and not the smiling idiots jotting down notes to pass off to someone else. UGH!

-g

1 - 20 of 137 Posts