Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
West Texas has only two REAL seasons:

• Fall - lasts about 3 months beginning in January and rarely dips below daytime average of 45 degrees, and...

Summer - sometimes reaches triple digits by June and we're usually still wearing short sleeves at Christmastime.
(Sometimes the seasonal change can occur within a week's time - we were wearing shorts & sandals last weekend and had snow flurries by the following Wednesday morning!)

My wife's family has always been sticklers for using dash mats in their cars to protect the front dash from the harsh West Texas summer sun. So, what are your thoughts on protective dash mats and when they may become available for the Element?

Rob O.
Life's a beach!
www.2dolphins.com

·
Registered
335 Posts
I like the carpeted ones, but not the velour. I used to put Armour-All type protectant on my dash, but if you don't keep it up regularly, it ends up drying out your vinyl faster than if you had done nothing to it. But it is important that the dash mat matches the interior well, otherwise it just looks tacky. I actually use one of those annoying sun shields that reflects the sun so it never hits my dash while parked.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dash mats that I've seen that are custom-tailored for the specific vehicle model look pretty nice and fit all of the nooks and crannies well. My mom-in-law has a mat for her RAV4 that has a number of intricate zigs and zags and fits - and stays put - perfectly even without velcro.

Anyone else have any thoughts on protective dash mats?

·
Registered
90 Posts
dash mats - wow. My parents do that to every car they get. I hate them. They actually end up scratching the dash with the velcro or the tags - and of course if you attach the velcro, you will have sticky spots and discoloration - I vote no, but its not my E.
I had a new beetle for years - similar dash - really deep, I was in FL for a month and I didn't have any problems. I suggest not using armorall or that will crack it over time. Some company sells a low glare product that works great, but the name escapes me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't really like the look of them, but if I keep the dash exposed and something happens to it (ie. it cracks) you always have the option to put one on after it get's messed up. I know for some it defeats the purpose because your original intent was to protect it, but at least this gives you the option if you don't like the look and it gets messed up.. do I make sense???

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
<looks around>

Did I just walk into the twilight zone? Am I in a parallel universe?

What the heck is a dash mat??? (rehetorical question as I have read the posts)

Okay I have been on this planet for 27, almost 28 years and how is it that I have never heard of a dash mat?

Are they popular in warm weather states and not others?

Well I guess what they say is true.....You learn something new everyday!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Whoa... yeah, I've never seen anything like that up here on the Northcoast! Crazy...

Drew

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
WOAH!!!! Never seen anything like this before! I like the hawaiian ones as well.....in fact hubby wanted to get a hawaiian steering wheel cover last night at Target!

Hey Hellcat......check out the animal print dash mat.....thought it might be right up your alley! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts