Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Three weeks ago I purchased a 2009 LX with 11k & change on the odo from a local dealer. It was in mint condition & Honda Certified. It came with both the Honda & dealer warranties.

The day after I took possession I detected a rattle in what seemed to be the passenger dash area in the vicinity of the A-pillar. It almost sounded as if it was coming from near the upper dash vent. And, it only occurred above 50 mph.

After reading a few posts I suspected the A-pillar windshield trim so I examined it and it was indeed loose on the right side. So, I removed the trim & lo & behold one of the white nylon clips was broken. I replaced the clip, reattached the trim & figured I was good to go.

Nope. Too easy.

Since then it has gotten progressively worse. Above 50 mph now I get a sound like a vent window is open across the entire front of the dash, but more pronounced on the passenger side. It sounds like rushing air is vibrating something underneath.

I brought it back to the dealer. He kept it for 2 days & said he got it to go away if he taped the lower windshield, but he has no idea why. He told me to pick up the car over the weekend & he would have me bring it back. But, he also said he wanted to drive another '09 to compare. Huh? But, he is keeping the ticket open.

I have the Honda shop manual, but I don't want to mess with this as long as it's under warranty. But, the dealer is an hour away & I don't want to keep running back there either. Not forever.

Any suggestions are more than welcome. I'd love to be able to help the service department cure this problem; ASAP.

:?

·
Registered
339 Posts
This may be too late, but here goes..... I pulled the entire finishing piece including the vent off, got some craft felt with sticky back, and put it around every connection. Everywhere the plastic touches itself.. There's several screws inside that hold a support, pull them off and put felt behind it in between the connections. Make sure you don't have any metal clips that come off, they rattle too.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This may be too late, but here goes..... I pulled the entire finishing piece including the vent off, got some craft felt with sticky back, and put it around every connection. Everywhere the plastic touches itself.. There's several screws inside that hold a support, pull them off and put felt behind it in between the connections. Make sure you don't have any metal clips that come off, they rattle too.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Never too late!
I love the car, but it seems like every change in the ambient air temperature brings a new and different plastic squeak or rattle.
I just tune it out now, but your suggestion seems promising. I'll let you know! Thanks!!

:grin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts