Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a rattling noise from the middle of of dash, seems to be coming from either the area of the stereo or the AC ducts above it. Happens only when I hit a dump, sounds like something loose.

Anyone come across this? Want to fix myself if I can, don't want dealer doing more damage.

Mike

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep, I have the same thing. I'm going to try stuffing something in the seams, I'm not sure what, though. Let me know of any ideas. :idea:

·
Registered
461 Posts
My dash rattle is all the way to the left, and generally only happens on rough road....and I live on a dirt road. When I press down just behind the left dash vent, the noise stops.

Service department says "bring it back when the rattle is happening." I said, "I did." But they didn't hear it. Maybe they need to install a dirt road behind the dealer's.

I'm thinking that maybe I'll just stick a toothpick down beside the dash on the left side, and see if that takes care of it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i had the same dash rattle coming from near the joint by the a pillar. i decided however that if i took it to the dealer they would probably just make it worse by ripping out the dash to find what was going on. i also noticed that when i placed my hand over the joint and applied some pressure that the rattle stopped. this led me to think that it was just the (flimsy) dash panel vibrating as i went over rough road. to fix it i took a small circular plastic washer like thing about 2mm thick (which i had used to even out a table leg on a slightly uneven floor) and placed that in the space where the dash and the a-pillar come together. my rattle seems to have gone away entirely at this time. i would recommend putting some type of handle on whatever you decide to jam in there to make it easier to extract (i put a paper clip around one section so that i could move it or remove it easily and i am glad i did because i almost lost it in there!). hope this trick works for others. i am a little annoyed that it rattled in the first place, but if this does solve the problem then i think that i will shoot some foam in there or something as a more permanent solution.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got the driver-side dash rattle too. It's worst when on a rough road, but I guess that makes sense. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to have it and the wobbly driver seat checked out and (hopefully) fixed.

I was wondering if the rattle could be coming from the windshield problem. I haven't had the stress fractures show up yet, but my E's VIN# falls right in the middle of the series listed in the service bulletin about having the window problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
1st: I too have a dash rattle. It is coming from the front on the driver's side. I took it to the dealer when it started, they drove it, it did not rattle. I am making note of the roads that I can have them drive on that I know the rattle will come back. I also wondered if it had something to do w/ the windshield bulletin which I will give them a copy of when I bring it in so they know to check this out. If I push down on the dash, it will stop. Not sure it I want to shove something someplace to make it stop, it should not rattle. I only have 2500 miles on my baby.

2nd: I also noticed that when roll down the window a bit, something is loose in the door that causes the window to rattle inside the dooe. I will have them check and tighten up what ever is loose.

3rd: I also have the plastic insert piece behind the rear-view mirror keep popping out on occassion and I have read the thread that I may have to get something to hold it into place as others have this occurance as well. When it first fell down, I was scared that something fell apart. I was glad to see it was just a plastic cover...

4th: I have also posted in a section that my front seats are spotted from rain coming into the window (yes, just rain!) and leaving unsightly spots on the seat and the passenger seat has a few spots on it as well from some something. With seats that are meant to take such "abuse" they should have dried w/ no spots. Makes the seats look like they are old and have been through rough times. Hubby said I should tell them I want new seats. I have yet to get to the store to try the shout or oxy wipes that some others have suggested, but I will. Should be an easy explanation, right??

I only hope these are the only woes of Ellie Mae . I will take her in in about a week after my vacation. Have to wait until then as we are taking her to the airport. This my first new vehicle and have grown quite attached to her. I would hate to think she is defective :cry:

·
Registered
359 Posts
[quote:28821a1072="cjans7784"]
2nd: I also noticed that when roll down the window a bit, something is loose in the door that causes the window to rattle inside the dooe. I will have them check and tighten up what ever is loose.
:cry:[/quote:28821a1072]

I have a very similar small rattle in the window sometimes. My rattle is not worth fixing. All I have to do is roll it up and back down again and it is tight. I would rather leave things alone than have a dealer tear into a component to fix something because it is not absolutely perfect. I consider my E, as picked up from the dealer, the most trouble free car I have ever owned. No complaints of any value, yet. On the other hand, I do not expect absolute perfection in a low priced vehicle (which the E is).

·
Registered
253 Posts
cjans, I have all the same problems, with the exception of the plastic of the mirror. I'm going to try to fix the dash rattle myself, and I just noticed the windsheild rattle, so I'm keeping an eye on it. I still love my E, though. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had my windshield replaced about 2 weeks ago and the new windshield rattles. I think i'm going to stuff some little rubber pieces in the seams to see if this reduces the noise. I was smacked really hard by a big rock the other day and the new windshield took the abuse without even a nick, so as long as the windshield doesn't crack, I am cool with the rattle.

I am also pretty cool with the creaking sounds coming from the rear hatch. It use to bug me but now I'm use to it. I really love my E, flaws and all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funny thing -- just took mine in this morning, and the dealership says that the rattle SOUNDS like it's the windshield, but that it's coming from the dash. (Noise is reverberating up to the windshield.)

So now comes the dilemma: Should I let them crack into the dash to fix the rattle, or do I just turn up the radio?

If you have had your E dash fixed, please respond with your comments. Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
have you tried wedging something in that seam between the a pillar and the dash? i did and the rattle went away without anyone having to take anything apart

·
Registered
3 Posts
had the same problem first week I got it...unfortunately, it took four techs and 75 miles of driving with the passenger side dash totally pulled out...it was two factory installed pieces rubbing together, so they put insulation in between and the noise has not come back since...no other rattles have come from taking the dashboard apart....unfortunately I hear a clicking metallic ticking noise coming from directly over the driver's head area and am wondering if anyone else has encountered this or has any information before I take it to the dealer -thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sorry, haven't had that. I tried to fit a washer between the A pillar and the dash, but I couldn't find one thin enough. Maybe a folded piece of paper will do until I find something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts