Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Canadian model comes with daytime running lights. Anyone know if this is a module you can add to a US model or it is a more extensive modification? Minor deduction on insurance for it, but more of a safety piece of mind.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have the factory repair manual and the differences between the American and Canadian lighting circuits is huge. The American diagram is on one page of the repair manual, while the Canadian one takes two complete pages.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My understanding is that a daytime running light is a "step-down" circuit from a vehicle's normal high-beams, so it might be a bit complicated. What about just turning on your headlights whenever you travel. I note some states require headlights on whenever using windshield wipers - that is, when it is raining which seems like a very good idea to me. :D

FWIW, my old 1990 Mazda 626 has never needed a headlight replacement, although it has daytime running lights. I find it much easier to see cars with such lights than without given that there is no requirement (that I know of) for older Canadian vehicles to be retrofitted.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
lon777 is right - I'm pretty sure Honda has not yet adopted the US manufacturers' philosophy of one wiring harness for all North American models. Since the primary electrical difference between US and Canadian models is the DRLs, "just adding the module" probably isn't going to work.

My suggestion? Buy the factory foglights and wire them into the "on" power.

That all said, I am very much not a fan of DRLs. The main reason that "brights" are bright is that they are aimed straight out and not angled downwards like the low beams. All the add-on DRLs do is run the brights at a "lower wattage" - they are still aimed into oncoming drivers' eyes.

Try this - get a penlight, and a big flashlight or hand lantern. Have someone stand about 10 feet away and aim the big flashlight into your chest. No big deal, right? Now have them aim the penlight into your eyes. The penlight is DRLs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
While the foglight suggestion is a good one, I'd disagree with the idea that DRLs are too bright with the exception that some expensive vehicles such as Mercedes and BMW use an ultra-bright light which can be annoying. We have to remember that DRLs are on during the daytime when there is lots of other natural light which diffuses the impact of car lights. I've driven for many years in Canada where DRLs are standard and I have never found them a problem (with the ultra-bright exception) and they are certainly helpful in identifying approaching traffic when passing on a regular two-lane road.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I went the foglight route to serve as DRLs. I installed a set of Optilux (by Hella) and then wired the "on" lead from the switch under the dash to the fuse block. So when the E is on, the lights are on, but you can still turn them off if you need to with the switch.

When I was done, I figured out that the 55w bulbs were too bright to leave on all the time. The were quite blinding even in daylight.

I then followed someone's suggestion and wired the fogs in series, rather than parallel. Routed in parallel, each bulb gets just about half normal power, dimming them enough that they're no long overpowering.

Now they work just fine.

eKennedy

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'll never understand why Honda doesn't make the DRL's standard. They would save money by only having one wiring harness, the customer would get a break on insurance, and if you don't like them just pull the fuse. It's dedicated to the DRL's only.

·
Registered
54 Posts
StephanB,

Some DRLs notoriously of some GM products are a pain when the idiots follow too close as those lights are bright enough for the blind to be able to see em coming! And yes they are aimed right at the oncoming traffic and high!

Some other DRLs however are very nice and visible enough but not annoying. VW comes to mind for such.

I like the posted gizmo for 1/2 bright lights but on the regular headlamp circuit, i'd even consider putting the circuit just on the marker lamps!

They really give the E and neat look

·
Registered
52 Posts
[quote:c4f3477d97="looseleaf"]i'd even consider putting the circuit just on the marker lamps![/quote:c4f3477d97]

I like this idea. Just the markers. Does anyone know exactly how/where to wire it this way? I'm no electrician, go easy on me!

·
Registered
97 Posts
It seems like there is alot of time and energy spent on DRL installation. I being a simple minded sort of guy, I installed a set of Walmart foglights, with a relay and the foglight switch, tied it to the hot side of the ignition switch. When the switch is on the lights are on. I can see my Element from a half mile away. I have had this install for over a year without anyone complaining. Just my 2cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts