Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread a few months back regarding DIY daytime running lights. I'm not interested in adding foglights (another recent thread) that run as DRLs.

I'm interested in installing one of the aftermarket DRL modules, such as (http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm100035.htm)

Has anyone wired in an aftermarket DRL kit? I pick my E up in a few days and this is one of the first mod's that I'd like to make.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm one of the guys who installed the foglights with the intention of using them as DRL's.

I was able to wire them so that they come on with the car, but I've run into the problem of the fact that they're too bright, and with the install brackets I used, I'm having a hard time getting them aimed downwards enough so that I'm not blinding oncoming traffic.

I'd be very interested in hearing if you successfully install and use the module you're considering. My fog's only cost me $50, so I could abandon them as DRL's and still be happy with them for their cosmetic effect.

Be aware though, there's a post either on this board or the "other" one, where one of those aftermarket DRL modules caught fire in some guy's Pilot or MDX I think it was.

eKennedy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I installed the $20 driving lights that http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3025 did. I hooked them up to the parking lights (so could also use as DRL's) but get bright lighted when I drive at night by the oncoming cars (they are really bright white lights). The E however, seems to have very good headlights by themselves so I am going to turn mine into full time DRL's.

Here is how I plan to do it, get a normaly closed 12v auto relay and wire the DRL's thru the closed contacts to come on with the ignition. Then wire the coil of the relay to the headlight circuit to open the relay contacts when I turn on the headlights. This will have the DRL's always on except when you turn on the headlights.

I thought a normaly closed NC 12V relay would not be hard to find but as of yet have not located one i.e. Radio Shack, Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City. I need to go to an independent car audio/alarm shop.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I installed the Optilux 2500's. I just leave the switch on all the time, and wired the power lead from the switch directly into the fuse block. Ironically, I was able to use fuse #12 which is the DRL fuse.

Then, when the car comes on, the switch gets power, activating the relay, and then the lights.

I like your idea about wiring in another relay to turn them off when the headlights come on though.

Where exactly would you tap in? Somewhere under the dash, or into one of the headlight leads itself?

eKennedy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Okay I found a relay and am going to hook it up.

Where exactly would you tap in? Somewhere under the dash, or into one of the headlight leads itself?
I am planning on taping in to all wiring under the hood so will probably piggyback to the low beam headlight lead itself.

More about my install soon.

·
Registered
137 Posts
[quote
Here is how I plan to do it, get a normaly closed 12v auto relay and wire the DRL's thru the closed contacts to come on with the ignition. Then wire the coil of the relay to the headlight circuit to open the relay contacts when I turn on the headlights. This will have the DRL's always on except when you turn on the headlights.

I thought a normaly closed NC 12V relay would not be hard to find but as of yet have not located one i.e. Radio Shack, Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City. I need to go to an independent car audio/alarm shop.[/quote]

Mark,
You won't find these type of part at the Shack!

For automotive applications most relays are NO, I don't see too many NC ones.

Have you try Digi-Key? If you can't find it give their Tech Support a call.

It maybe spendy, but Digi-Key and Mouser may have it.

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T031/0851.pdf
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?han...andler=search.listcategory&N=114130&Ne=300030

Good Luck,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.