Honda Element Owners Club banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey question for the OP or anyone that might know this... regarding post #13 in this thread...I have an '07 SC with OEM fogs and I wanted to do the quick easy install to run just the fogs only as DRL's. Would the details described in post #13 work for my SC? On my previous car I did a similar mod where I simply removed the fog relay and then ran a wire from that to a spare spot in the fuse box and it made the fogs come on only as DRL's. Know what I'm saying?

Just wondering if something this simple could work? If so, stupid question, but where is the fog relay? I bought my SC with the fogs already installed and that's not a stock option so it doesn't list in my manual where the fog relay is located.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't count the number of times I have been through this thread...I have run out of digits.

I have a USA model 2008 and went to do the "DRL Lite" mod. Because I couldn't find anyone here that had done this (or any other DRL mod) with a 2008...I took my time...and checked some stuff.

In my humble opinion...it won't work as detailed for a 2008. Someone please prove me wrong.

What I did find out...is that on connector F there is two wires (red with blue stripe and grey bands). When you apply 12v power to either of these wires you will get 1/2 power headlights. I DID NOT DO THIS AS A MOD!!! I want to know if someone out there has an electrical schematic that can say...yup...do that and you have DRLs.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What I did find out...is that on connector F there is two wires (red with blue stripe and grey bands). When you apply 12v power to either of these wires you will get 1/2 power headlights. I DID NOT DO THIS AS A MOD!!! I want to know if someone out there has an electrical schematic that can say...yup...do that and you have DRLs.

Thanks for looking.
The two wires that you reference are the High Beam ground circuit wires. Providing voltage to either of these wires, with the dimmer switch in the 'low' beam position, will allow current to flow through the high beam filiments and the low beam filiments to ground.

If you ever inadvertantly switched the high beams 'ON' or used the Flash-to-Pass feature while you had a voltage source applied to either of the Red/Blue wires, it would instantly cause your power source to over-amp and blow the fuse that you would have installed as circuit protection.

Not recommended to proceed in this manner, unless you are going to do some re-engineering of the circuitry. You'd be better off following Benny's original DRL modification instructions - it'll still work for your E, the only real difference is that your E only has one headlight relay instead of the two that early models used. The DRL "lite" mod that Benny posted (13) is simply an automatic low beam headlight application.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I can't count the number of times I have been through this thread...I have run out of digits.

I have a USA model 2008 and went to do the "DRL Lite" mod. Because I couldn't find anyone here that had done this (or any other DRL mod) with a 2008...I took my time...and checked some stuff.
I purchased an aftermarket kit for this. It isnt as neat, but was rather simple. You tap into the headlight wires and connect power to a capacitor and box. I tried to find the company, but was unsuccessful (maybe they went out of business).

·
Registered
36 Posts
DRL Lite on an 08

Are there any known differences doing this on an 08?

And I would guess the one thing one would always need to be cognizant of is whether your lights are physically on at night. It seems you could be easily lulled into thinking your lights are on...but the only thing on would be the headlights by virtue of the DRL mod. This could obviously make for a dangerous situation...ie no rear (or other) lightiing. Or am I missing something? That little pitfall might talk me out of doing this. I might remember myself...but if someone else drove the car there could be a real issue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks a lot for the detailed DIY

I followed the DRL lite instructions but have a problem. All my lights go on when I start the car. Headlights, parking lights and instrument lights. It's if I had turned on the lights normally. How do I get just the headlights low beam to come on? Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Also noticed that when I arm/disarm my Compustar alarm/remote starter both the parking lights and headlights flash when prior to the DRL mod it used to be just a parking light flash

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks a lot for the detailed DIY

I followed the DRL lite instructions but have a problem. All my lights go on when I start the car. Headlights, parking lights and instrument lights. It's if I had turned on the lights normally. How do I get just the headlights low beam to come on? Thanks
I've been comptemplating this mod for my 08. What mainly stops me is the fact that (unless I'm missing something) you could be driving at night with DRL lights and never realize the other lights are not on. I'd view your situation as a benefit. If I could make this mod so that all lights automatcially came on in the run position....I'd be out wiring it tonight.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
What is an "LED city light bulb"?
Not sure how I missed this. In Japan, most cars have what is called a City Light
in the headlight. It comes on with the parking lights and lights up the headlight
area. We dont have them here in the states. Its Japan's version of a DLR.

Here is the what the Civic headlight from Japan looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Quick question:

I have a Canadian E with DRLs from the factory. Is it possible to switch the DRLs to the turn signals instead of using the actual headlights as DRLs? I'm sure it's just a simple rewiring of sorts right?

EDIT: Like this, having the parking lights act as the DRLs (ignore the LEDs)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Bump: anyone?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Auto Lights?

This is a great thread for the conversion to drls!

My question is there a way to make the light system an auto system? so that you coulds leave it on auto (like in other cars) and the lights would go on and off by themselves; come on when you unlock your doors; and auto off after a minute or so when you turn the car off.

I imagine it would take a system from another vehicle to do this, but it might be viable getting one out of a junk yard

Any thoughts? maybe this should be a new thread.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
This is a great thread for the conversion to drls!

My question is there a way to make the light system an auto system? so that you coulds leave it on auto (like in other cars) and the lights would go on and off by themselves; come on when you unlock your doors; and auto off after a minute or so when you turn the car off.

I imagine it would take a system from another vehicle to do this, but it might be viable getting one out of a junk yard

Any thoughts? maybe this should be a new thread.
Here you go, no need to start a new thread, just need to use the search function.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70596

·
Registered
1 Posts
DRL Lite for 08 & later

Anyone know of a way to bypass the parking & dash lights always on this modification? It's difficult to read the radio during the daylight hours.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have read through this entire post. And I have a question. On the US models, is there a molex for the DRL module in the factory harness?
if so, where is it located?

there are DRL modules availed for about 40.00 that may be plug and play. I would rather spend an extra 20, and be done with the installing a few minutes.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
here is what I found online
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20..._electrical/daytime_running_light_module.html

thanks

Mitch

·
12,179 Posts
I have read through this entire post. And I have a question. On the US models, is there a molex for the DRL module in the factory harness?
if so, where is it located?

there are DRL modules availed for about 40.00 that may be plug and play. I would rather spend an extra 20, and be done with the installing a few minutes.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
here is what I found online
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20..._electrical/daytime_running_light_module.html

thanks

Mitch

The isn't a provision in the harness for US vehicles for DRL.

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Three years ago I installed a Philips DL 4 kit on my 206 EX-P. Cost $30, about 30-45 minutes to install. Mounted the lights in the grille area, using the provided clips. Be sure to get the kit specifically for Honda, Acura.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bh
I don't know if you are still active, but I was hoping to tackle your DRL conversion. I was thinking of making the parking lights the DRL. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Eric

81 - 100 of 100 Posts