Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased the exterior roof bike rack? My hubby and I are in the process of getting an Ex 2wd and he really wants the $467 bike rack. Dealer told us this is a good idea ( 8) since it might be impossible to find a commercial one that fits due to the size of the roof. thoughts? thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Who's quoting $467?
I have the factory rack from HandA $205 delivered. I have two Yakimat bike racks at $85 each and two seats of 23H mighty mounts at $30 each. That brings my investment to around $435 - not much different. Just be sure you are getting as much for your bucks. I would have used Yakima for the roof rack, but they have not released theirs yet.

Thule has a system for the E. You might check it out. I miss my wider bars I had on my old SUV using the Yakima 5' bar. I carried two kayaks and two bikes. Now I use a hitch carrier when I take the kayaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the replies. I also got one that said that the top rack kills your gas mileage as well as being difficult to get the bike on the top of the car. I think we will try looking in to the hitch kind.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't think the Honda rack should kill the mileage. I seem to be doing fine with mine. It's pretty sleek.

I just returned from camping where I had two kayaks on the factory rack and two bikes on a 3 bike Allen Rack. (www.allenracks.com). I kept noticing the bikes bouncing around in the back. The hitch racks just have a lot of play that I am not used to. I felt like the bikes were going to bounce off.

I liked the three bike feature of the allen rack because two bikes don't rub together, but the receiver is not designed to accept a locking bolt. I guess their theory is you like a cable to the hitch.

Getting the bikes on and off the roof will require you to carry a small stool or step ladder, but I liked having them up and out of the way of curious fingers in parking lots.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey there, i mountain bike a lot and if it's just going to be two people, use the interior space for the rack and make one that costs around $30. put the two rear seats up and get a fork holder from jensonusa.com by saris and then go to a hardware store, home depot, and get a plank and mount those two holders onto the wood by some bolts/nuts, and voila! your very own SECURE interior bike rack, even get some cables if you're not satisfied with its stability, MUCH better than the dealer installed/honda accessories from handa.com...IMHO

·
Registered
6 Posts
If just the two of you will be out in the Element in your bikes, I suggest folding the rear seats against the windows, grabbing some tie down cables, and setting one bike against each "seat wall." For each bike: run the cable through the hand-hold bar (no idea what these things are really called) near the interior roof, across the front (really the back) of the seat, and through the metal hook at the floor. Then cinch the cable securely around the front of the bike. This holds the bike against the seat, cushions it against bumps etc, and costs like $2. My husband and I jerryrigged this solution and couldn't believe it worked so well--no movement in the bikes at all, even on an exceptionally rutted road. Of couse, you'll want to wipe your bikes down a bit after an off-road ride so that the backs of the seats don't get all cruddy. But, seriously, why would anyone pay what Honda's asking for that interior bike rack when a pratically no-cost alternative is so much easier to use?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts