Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought Stubby, my E, the end of May, I also ordered mudflaps, the oversized armrest, and the keyless entry. Unfortunately, at that time I hadn't heard of handaaccessories.com..... So I ended up having to pay the dealer price as well as the installation charges.

By the time I found out about that website, the parts were already in. But I was able to see what was involved in the installation - almost nothing.

Dealer called to let me know parts are in. Since I use my car for work each day, I can't afford to be without a vehicle, and I saw no reason I should have to rent a car for a whole day to do this tiny bit of work when the dealer told me they'd need the car all day. I asked why so long for such little pieces, and they didn't have any valid answer. he just said they'll need it all day. I asked if I could schedule it enough in the future that they could make sure my car was first one in the morning, thus ensuring it'll be done quick, and they repeated they needed it all day.

I ended up just going in, getting the parts, taking them home. Not even being a "honda mechanic" I was able to install the mudflaps, armrest, and keyless entry in under 17 minutes.

What are my chances of demanding the money back for the "installation charge" I had to pay for these overpriced things? My dealer has done nothing but piss me off since the day after I drove off the lot.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lodge a complaint with the BBB.Dealerships are supposed to piss you off :D

I think that is part of the "experience"

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Having worked at 2 honda dealers for the l;ast 14 years i dont remember ever being told that part of my job is to piss off customers.Most if not all dealers take CSI ( customer satisfaction ratings ) very seriously.We have a dedicated customer retention department to handle and resolve all customer complaints.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Honda instructions list a very specific amount of labor time for each accessory. Ask to see these labor times and then calculate out what they need to refund you by multiplying that number by their labor rate.

I did soemthing similar - I ordered the roof rack and did it myself even though I had paid for installation - my dealer was nice enough to apply that money directly to another accessory though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my expeirience has been when the wheels hit the road you are treated in a completely different manner.

Tell me why then Lizzurd would they tell this guy they need the car there all day when the job took him 17 minutes?Seems rather odd to me.That does not seem to be at all fair.They could have at very least given him a morning appointment and a reasonable timeline for completion of the job.That in my opinion would have been fair.Not "dictate" to the ciustomer until he is so frustrated he does the work himself.Obviously this dealership is not "customer satisfaction rating" too seriously.That is not to say yours does not.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Dealers typically tell people they need the car all day so they can be flexible about scheduling jobs during the day. Sometimes they wait for parts they didn't know they'd need etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealer called to let me know parts are in. Since I use my car for work each day, I can't afford to be without a vehicle, and I saw no reason I should have to rent a car for a whole day to do this tiny bit of work when the dealer told me they'd need the car all day. I asked why so long for such little pieces, and they didn't have any valid answer.
Does not appear to be the case here.........

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:6ba24c3246="eMass"]Dealers typically tell people they need the car all day so they can be flexible about scheduling jobs during the day. Sometimes they wait for parts they didn't know they'd need etc.[/quote:6ba24c3246]

I think you took that a little out of context. At every dealer I've ever used they always want you to leave the car for the day if it's anything other than routine maintenance.

BTW, I did say - parts they didn't know they'd need - this is typically something that they had not planned for - like something that they didn't know they'd need until they started work - maybe they break something or - well -who knows. Not everything always goes as planned.

Rather than have the customer breathing down their neck all day asking "is it done yet, is it done yet?" they'd rather the customer get a ride or a loaner car and just call them to pick it up at the end of the day.

·
Registered
424 Posts
emass is right.

Dealers need the car all day because they do not tend to your car right away. Hey that rhymes :D

The only way the dealer tend to your E is if you wait for a oil change. I waited for about an hour last week.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Teek I am sorry for your frustration. I can't speak for the dealer that you dealt with, but Emass pretty much hit the nail on the head. It is ZERO fun to have a customer waiting while we are installing accessories. Also, the prices we charge for installation are set by Honda. Honda might allow us 2 and 1/2 hours to install keyless entry (I'm sure it isn't that much, but just giving an example) so we charge for 2 and 1/2 hours. If the installation only takes the mechanic 10 minutes, he's still paid according to Honda's allocated time. This might sound like a rip-off, but I have also seen the same mechanics take 4 hours to do a job Honda says should take 1 hour and they only get paid for the 1 hour. Overall I'm sure it works out favorably for us (the dealer) or we would demand more time, etc from Honda. That isn't my department so that's about all I can say about it.

To alleviate these type issues, we generally do offer a loaner car or some type of transportation for our customers if they haven't already made arrangments. In customer service it is also important to know that it is always, always better to tell a customer you need their car for 4 hours and return it in 2 hours than to tell a customer, "no problem we will have it back to you in 2 hours and then end up taking 4 hours." That is almost always a losing battle and can ruin the relationship you work so hard to earn.

Finally, if the dealership did not install the accessories, you are certainly entitled to a refund. You should certainly ask for this and if it gets ugly demand it. Don't blow the horn to the BBB over this issue unless you just really feel like it, because it won't get your refund any quicker or make things any easier with your dealer. There are definitely no dealers that I know of that intentionally piss off their customers. I have "fired" a few customers before though :oops:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I pretty much had the same complaint with my dealer. When I asked how much they would charge to install the roofrack and seat covers they stated it would cost about $275 just for labor! I told them they were "full of sh*t" and took it home myself. I was a little intimidated about the task since Honda wanted to charge so much, it must be difficult. I was literally done in 15 minutes. Not at all worth the money to have a dealer do installs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts