Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what appears to an after market alarm installed in my 08 E that I bought new last year. The car came from another dealer and I didn't order an alarm - it must have been installed at the other dealer. It may not be active, I don't know.

I did some research and I think it is a Karr brand. There is a little grey "module" mounted on the outside of the lower dash panel next to the fuse access panel - there a small gage wire connector going to this module but there is no button or LED on it. Under the dashboard there is a black box with words "Electronic Security Module" and a blue knob which would need a screwdriver to adjust with words "Min" and "Max" - then there is a whole slew of twisted (non factory) multicolored wires and wire taps going to the E harness and winding up at the larger black box. It appears most of the connections are wire taps but I did spy one which looks to be spliced into a little larger gage black wire with white strip - this is an E harness wire. It must have taken somebody a while to install it with all the taps and making sure the right wires are connected.

How would I determine if this thing is active/working? All the E remote functions are just like the Honda manual says. I'd really prefer to take this thing out as I don't like all the non standard wiring or the prospect of this thing keeping from starting my car some time if it fails. Anyone taken one of these out before and what do I need to watch out for.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
if everything is connected with t taps other than the large gauge black/white wire (starter wire) then all you would need to do is un plug all the taps and then reconnect (solder and tape or butt connect) the large black/white wire back together and you should be all set. if the wire you are refering to is the one in the picture then that is all you really need to worry about as that is the starter and if it remains cut then the truck wont start.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I believe that is the one. After installing fog lights last weekend and the trailer harness this weekend I am now one with the underside of my E dashboard. I pity the person who has to install these alarms for a living.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Thanks, I believe that is the one. After installing fog lights last weekend and the trailer harness this weekend I am now one with the underside of my E dashboard. I pity the person who has to install these alarms for a living.
well thanks for the pity, but most hondas are easy as most of the stuff the you need is centrally located, as you can see in yours. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I agree most of the stuff is right there but there ain't a comfortable place to be. My back will let me know tomorrow how it went today. Thanks for your tip on removal of the after market alarm - that's a task for another day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
am I correct that all Es have remote locks from the factory? I've got the same darn karr system in my E, and i really dont care for it. I would just like to have the remote locks....
Also does anyone know if it's possible to have both a honda and an aftermarket alarm system installed at the same time?

If so how would I go about adding a factory remote to the system to unlock and lock the doors? I would probably just leave the Karr system in place and not use it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
there is a little black box under the driver side dash with a 5 or 6 pin green plug plugged into it. if that is there then you will just need to get some factory remotes off ebay and program them. the large green plug in the picture is the factory security plug and if it is actually plugged into something then it has factory security, it it just has a bunch of wires connected to it then it is aftermarket and can just be removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I checked and do not have the honda option installed. guess I'll stick with the Karr for now.
Thanks again for everyone's help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, really sorry to dig up an OLD thread, but I too have this exact module wired into my element. It wasn't until recently I noticed it as we bought it used. What exactly does this module do? Were there extra remotes aside from the factory one? I'm jut really curious cause I took the dive and bought a new kenwood 9980 and was under the dash and saw it tapped in. I just didn't know if I was missing out on a real security system?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I just yanked one of these Karr alarm and keyless entry units out of my E - the previous owner had installed it and I hated it - the key fob was terrible...rather than having separate lock and unlock buttons like the OEM Honda key fob, the Karr one just had one button - push it once and it locks and push it again and it unlocks...problem was I was never totally sure it was actually locked without visually checking, vs. the OEM keyless entry that you clearly know what button you are pushing and if you want to be sure it's locked, just push it twice and the horn beeps.

As for the original post r.e. how to tell if the alarm portion is working, just lock the car with the key fob with yourself inside and then open the door manually and the alarm should go off.

I finally grew fed up with the cheesy Karr alarm/keyless entry and ordered the OEM keyless entry from H and A. It was super easy to remove the Karr stuff - as noted above, all the wires were spliced in with little couplers - I just followed all the wires and unhooked them. The thing came out with a couple of modules and a little black box with a LED on it. I promptly tossed it and the key fob in the trash where it belonged. The OEM keyless entry couldn't have been simpler to install (instructions on H and A website) and the OEM key fobs were easy to program. I'm much happier now and really enjoyed seeing all that crap removed from my car. The OEM alarm is also available from H and A - not really something I need where I live but it looks equally simple to install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the response. I actually have the Karr system as well as the honda key fob. So I guess tomorrow when I finish up my radio install I'll carefully unwire it. Thanks for the response. I was hoping it was a full alarm system and not just a lame honk the horn cause a door got opened from the inside while it was locked. I've done that a few times myself by accident.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm not 100% sure what features the Karr alarm had - it definitely would honk if a door was opened but when I yanked the guts out, one fo the boxes looked like it was some sort of motion sensor as well...i.e. bump the car and it goes off. If you already have the OEM keyless entry and you end up removing the Karr alarm, you can add the OEM alarm as well fairly easily and it looks to be a full-feature alarm. HandA has it for ~$160. Details on the alarm and installation instructions here:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementelect.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts