Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to EOC (although I've been lurking for a couple months) and am about to start shopping for a 2010 E as the lease on my 2007 VW Touareg V6 is up in about four months.

The Touareg has been a great car, unstoppable in the snow, but there's no way I'd own this car out of warranty, just way too expensive to maintain. For example, a xenon bulb just went out, would have cost $250 to replace (good thing it was under warranty).

My father has an 06 E that has been solid and cheap to maintain, which is one of the main reasons I am now interested. He is retired and takes it up to the mountain to go skiing all the time. I actually talked him into the E because I've always liked them.

I am interested in a Black EX w/Nav and have a question: Are all other options beyond 4WD and Nav dealer and/or owner installable? Meaning, when I am looking for a new E, do I need to ask for the additional options at the time of the search? Or can I add the additional options later?

Some of the options I am interested in: Roof Rack, Fog Lights, Dog Package, Rear Power Outlet, Grey Metal Interior Trim, Security System, and Bluetooth kit (was just added to the "build you E" section on Honda's site).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Everything you have listed is either dealer or owner installable and you'll find examples of their installations here on the site. The two exceptions I'm not 100% sure of are the Dog Package and Bluetooth. The dealer should be able to tell you for sure, give them a call.

A great resource for both buying optional equipment and finding the installation instructions is HandA accessories (www.handa-accessories.com). Give their site a look for some more info.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Welcome to the E world, fellow VWer. You'll probably find you fit around here, we are legion.

Like a newbie (which I was, at buying a new car), when I bought my '04 I got every add-on I thought I'd want. Maybe part of my excess was getting everything on the finance, but I probably cost myself a grand...plus interest!

A little while hanging around here and I came to realize I could've gotten lots of things, like racks and cabana, at lower cost than at the dealer. Doh!

BTW, you should make sure that cheap on-line source for parts is going to actually land the part at your door cheaper than the dealer. The freight on some parts is heavy, brother. Fr'instance my new front bumper was $489 at the dealer. It was only $250 on-line, but then they wanted another $250 to ship the big, bulky bugger. Details, the trouble is always in the details...

Two options I think every E should have...the scuba-diver seat covers, and the tailored inside window covers. (At least if you're as clumbsy as I am with your coffee, and you might ever spend a night in your E.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like the new handsfree bluetooth kit mounts right above the driver's sun visor and is NOT integrated with the stereo/nav, from what I can tell. My local Honda dealer printed out the install instructions.

First picture shows where the hole is supposed to be cut into the liner.

Second picture is the wiring, I don't see any stereo/nav hookup (I could be wrong, I don't know the Element's wiring).

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you're handy with tools and can follow easy directions, a lor of the accessories you mentioned can be added by you.

I bought a black EX AWD with Nav today - it has a rear power outlet. Although the dealer had already added splash guards, wheel locks and side steps, I could have done those myself, and even with shipping, come out for far less.

An EOC sponsor is H and A - I've purchased a lot from them. You can see their pricing, availability and shipping costs to your location. They have factory installation instructions downloadable from their website. Go to http://www.handa-accessories.com. Another place is College Hills Honda - http://www.collegehillshonda.com.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts