Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer (who is likely to get all top ratings anyway, because she was a joy to work with, as was everyone we had contact with at this dealership) told me that we'd be getting a survey that had several questions to be rated on a 1 - 5 point scale. She also said that any number other than a 5 would make the whole survey count as a zero.

Is this true?

If so, could someone explain the logic behind this to me? If every other score is zero, why not just have a box to check for "Good" instead of a point scale?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have heard from a number of people that the salespeople will do anything not to get a score less than 5 for all areas else they get blasted. This won't stop me from giving an honest answer on the survey however.

On my last vehicle, the salesman insisted I take in the survey to fill in in front of him so that he could fix any problems. My point of view is that I don't care to be bribed before or after for him to get a better score.

I work in Sales in the IT industry. I get reviewed by my students when I instruct, and I have to live with sometimes less than favourable reviews. No pity for the salespeople on my part for not getting a five.

I can also tell you that salespeople tend to move around a bit. Many of the salespeople I have worked with believe that the grass is always greener elsewhere.

Not sure if this helps, but it's my 5 cents worth.

Iskie

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, it is very true that any grade other than a 5 counts as a 0. Some might think this is stupid (many of us complained when Honda went to this new system) but Honda doesn't care. Honda cares about one thing. How their customers are treated. Honda is very, very strict with this and although it is sometimes a pain in the arse, I like the commitment to excellence. Honda takes this very seriously.

So, there are those in the world that will NEVER give all 5's, no matter how great the service is, and to those we say.....please refrain from even filling out a survey. You have to ask yourself, was the salesperson so terrible that he/she deserves a 0? Because that is seriously what you are giving them if you score them any lower than 5. This is not BS.

The other thing to remember, is the biggest impact of the survey is felt by the salespeople. The questionaire might ask about the whole negotiation process, your finance experience and even some questions about being introduced to service, etc. But, the salespeople are held accountable. Our dealership for example has a Customer Satisfaction rating of 96.5% in comparison with Honda's national average of 90% (approximate, because it fluctates some). Our salespeople get docked for being less than 90% ($250 month). It is actually a $500 swing, because if they are above the national average they get a $250 bonus. A salesperson who gets 10 surveys a month, must get 10 perfect scores to outweigh one 0. That's tough. Now if you give the salesperson/dealership a mix of 5's and 4's, the whole survey isn't a 0. They receive credit for the 5's and 0's for the 4's.

So, a couple of things to keep in mind. If you don't feel the salesperson deserved a 5, certainly don't give it. If you don't feel they deserved a 0, then don't give anything less than a 5. You can opt not to answer all the questions and give only 5's on the ones they deserve. You can opt not to answer any questions. To further complicate things, if you are in a hurry and tell the questionaire to just score the salesperson all 5's and don't answer each question, that counts as an incomplete survey. DOH. Even though your intentions were good, you haven't done the salesperson any good.

Dealerships that bride you to fill out surveys should be reported. Call the customer service number in your owner's manual if you feel compelled. Honda is even more strict about that, than they are about the actual survey. Dealership's caught bribing customers for good marks will face severe penalties (up to a loss of ALL holdback on every car). That would put most dealerships out of business.

If you had a somewhat mixed experience at the dealership, a great experience, or a terrible experience, it is always a good idea to give Honda your comments. They do follow up with complaints, concerns and unresolved issues. They send the dealership an opportunity bulletin, letting us know that the customer had a concern and give us the opportunity to resolve it. Hope all this helps get a better understanding.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Supamann.

That is probably the best response I've heard to the 5 or nothing questions.
I have a lot of customers that seem skeptical when I tell them about the ISKY surveys. I hope you don't mind, but I might paraphrase some of your response to help give them a better understanding.

I usually have one of the best scores in my dealership, but every other month, a customer will hit me with all 4's. Usually because the buyers wife or husband answered the phone, and did not know the details of the survey.

Another thing, if you tell the person surveying you to just give the person all 5's instead of answering each question, the survey does not count. So if you think your salesperson did a good job, please help them out. As Supamann pointed out, it does hurt our check if we get trashed on a survey. And if you do not think you can give your salesperson all fives, ask to speak to a manager and share your concerns with them. It will not only help you, but will also help the dealership correct whatever problem you had, which is the point of all the surveying anyway.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks Will. I am certain your scores are quite good, because you do care. Your committment to this board shows that. Do you keep an evidence manual by any chance?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys.

I guess my survey will get all 5's, because I think the salesperson did a good job and I don't want to hurt them by giving less than perfect scores on areas that could actually have been improved but which were out of their control.

That feels wrong to me, but I don't want to penalize someone who did a great job because of someone else who did a mediocre job. Maybe I'll write a letter. Probably not.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I can quite understand what Supamann is saying - that Honda has a committment to excellence and won't accept anything less.

But the problem is - excellence is developed through honest feedback and accepting constructive criticism. If customers know of this draconian interpretation of a "4" and that the salesperson gets the shaft for a finance manager who's a creep, then constructive criticism cannot be given.

The questionnaire instrument itself was probably have been designed to find areas in which there could be improvement, but the way that the poll is being used is incompatible with its design. It's not fair to the people who have something less than 100% positive but not 100% negative to say, because it throws away their time in answering and the value of their comments. And it's also not fair to the people to whom the questionnaire is applied.

If I had an issue that arose in my future Element purchase that either brought to mind my salespersons's excellence or deficiencies, I would write a letter. I've almost always written letters in such cases anyway.

I had an Isuzu pollster call me up about my last car purchase experience. They didn't know that I had bought one in September, wrecked it on ice, and then bought another in December, so they wound up polling me twice.

I gave glowing marks for my September (John Eagle Isuzu) sale and absolute zero marks, using the word "SLIMY" repeatedly, for the December (Crest Isuzu) sale.

Isuzu wrote me personally to say that the issue had been discussed thoroughly with my December salesman.

The salesman left Crest and went to John Eagle. THEN he had the nerve to call me and say that he was now 'at a better dealership' and would be available there to help me with my future Isuzu needs.

I believe my exact response was 'I'd rather eat a live toad than deal with you again." :evil:

·
Registered
220 Posts
[quote:3fc2cf33fd="toastyapricot"]I'm guessing all the sales folks went to the same training seminar because I was told the EXACT same thing at least 3 times by my sales guy.[/quote:3fc2cf33fd]

There is no training seminar for surveys. Just a daily grind to keep the salespeople in check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a Honda Internet Sales Manager in Houston Texas. Yes, it is true about the survey.We do need to get all 5's on the survey. However, if there is something you want to say about the dealership, finance manager or anyone including the sales person, at the end of the survey, they will ask you if you have any comments. That is when I tell my customers to speak their mind. Being a women in a male dominated business, I am always truthful with my customers. I give them the best service and price they can get. But sometimes people have a bad experience with someone else at the store, and they don't wait till the end of the survey :cry: . So please do answer all the questions with 5's. Unless of course you have a bad sales experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.