Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, got a quick questions for you. I just purchased an 03 with 79,000 miles, love it. I bought it in VA and live in Maryland. I nowhave it at the Honda dealer today to get it state inspected for tags. They said it needs a front left wheel bearing replaced to pass inspection, quoted me $418.89, is that good price? They also said I should get the two front struts replaced due to they are leaking, quoted $1,019.00. Even though I just bought it Saturday, I have drove it over 300 miles this weekend, no front end noises, no problems driving over bumps, etc. It does look like it needs a front end alignment. Even though it is seven years old and things happen, I just spent all the money for the vehicle, don't really want to pay another $1K right now. I asked the dealer if I could wait awhile due to if it was that bad they would have failed the inspection for the struts too. Do I wait, what signs do I look for problems? In seaching the old threads, looks like maybe having KYB struts installed would be a little cheaper, are they just as good as OEM? Any thoughts would help a new guy. Thanks!

·
Registered
816 Posts
they want 1k for everything or just the front struts????my co-worker last month go 2 rear strutts replaced for $300...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Take it to Jiffy Lube for the inspection... i doubt theyre going to be checking all that there... they just check lights and engine codes here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
79,000 miles is not too bad for OEM struts.
If you have access to a non-dealer affiliated shop, ask whether or not they’ll install parts you supply.
While I don’t recall seeing Koni or Bilstein struts for the Element, KYB used to offer some.
Monroe or some others may as well.
Fronts are typically more expensive than rears.
Good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
$418 is a LOT for a front wheel bearing, there's a shop I go to that will do thie for $150. I wouldn't pay a dime over $300 for it.

As far as the struts go, make them SHOW you the leak before you spring the $. If the car drives fine, then they are fine. If it bounces and floats all over the place, they need to be replaced. Shouldn't cost much more than $400 to get done.

In most states, a car CANNOT fail inspection due to bad shocks.

Stop taking your car to the dealer. Take it to an independent shop. The dealer will rip you off.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Definitely take it somewhere else for the inspection... and for service for that matter... I've got 239K miles on the suspension and it has never been touched other than the occasional alignment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
... I've got 239K miles on the suspension and it has never been touched other than the occasional alignment.
All I can think to say is Wow:shock:
As I understand it: Shocks are a wear item.
Their performance degrades slowly over time.
I’d really be interested in seeing how 79K mile shocks performed on a shock dyno, to say nothing of ones with 239K miles.
Wonder how the other suspension/steering components are holding up at 239K.

Hopefully someone in the chassis set-up/suspension business will chime in to offer some professional experience.

·
Registered
139 Posts
All I can think to say is Wow:shock:
As I understand it: Shocks are a wear item.
Their performance degrades slowly over time.
I’d really be interested in seeing how 79K mile shocks performed on a shock dyno, to say nothing of ones with 239K miles.
Wonder how the other suspension/steering components are holding up at 239K.

Hopefully someone in the chassis set-up/suspension business will chime in to offer some professional experience.

Likewise....I have 174k and have never had even an alignment done on mine, much less shocks etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had my struts replaced at 85K but I do a lot of dirt/rutted roads plus about 3 months per year on cobblestone streets in central Mexico. I word of caution: if you do replace the struts, then either get the whole assembly (which is what most dealers will ding you for) or make sure that the guy doing the work knows how to properly assemble the strut/springs/mounts. I had a terrible time with mine making lots of noise after being replaced and finally took it to a guy that does front end work for a Honda dealer. The strut assemblies on the E are tricky and a lot of shops get it wrong.

The price quote from the dealer sounds about right for a dealer but you should be able to find someone that can replace just the struts and mounts for about half the cost. As to the "leaking", I would have it checked elsewhere. As others have said, if it rides ok then the struts are probably ok. Unscrupulous mechanics have been known to squirt a little oil on the shock to show you that it is leaking.

Have fun with your new purchase!

·
EOC Rank: 999
1,793 Posts
In all the cars I've ever owned I have never had the "dealer" do any work on them (outside of the things that went wrong under the warranty). Dealers ae so over priced its ridiculous. Go to various shops around where you live and I guarantee you're gonna get a bunch of different quotes. I've learned in life that thee's always someone out there that will do something for less. (But) as in everything you do, you have to judge whether the price sounds just too good.. Best of luck and stay away from dealers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
FYI, I have an 04 with 44,500 miles on it and one of my rear struts is leaking already. So, I am jealous of any of your mileage on the stockers!

I plan on waiting a couple of months to get mine replaced. I found the parts for $260 and a mechanic buddy/acquaintance will install for $350. That's for all 4

1 - 11 of 11 Posts