Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...Any one else wondering about the supposed check's required by Honda. This is my second E, first one was an 03....loved it, now have an 07 love it even more.
Just went in for the B check....reception said it's a 2 hour inspection, on check-in the Tech say's 90 minutes....went away for 45 minutes and it was outside ready for pick-up....$245 later I left thinking did they actualy do all the work or just change the oil, rotate the tires. The B check has several items including brake, caliper and several other items. Personally I think it's just a "cash crab".

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hi...Any one else wondering about the supposed check's required by Honda. This is my second E, first one was an 03....loved it, now have an 07 love it even more.
Just went in for the B check....reception said it's a 2 hour inspection, on check-in the Tech say's 90 minutes....went away for 45 minutes and it was outside ready for pick-up....$245 later I left thinking did they actualy do all the work or just change the oil, rotate the tires. The B check has several items including brake, caliper and several other items. Personally I think it's just a "cash crab".
Did they give you a print-out of the inspection, and the results? Not sure from Honda Dealers, but when my MINI Cooper went in for one, I always got a summary of the inspection, and the results, like how much brake pad was left, etc. If they did it in 45 minutes, doesn't mean it wasn't done. Could have been a slow day, and they had two or three mechanics all doing pieces of it in tandem. But I'd ask for the results to see.

·
12,179 Posts
Did they give you a print-out of the inspection, and the results? Not sure from Honda Dealers, but when my MINI Cooper went in for one, I always got a summary of the inspection, and the results, like how much brake pad was left, etc. If they did it in 45 minutes, doesn't mean it wasn't done. Could have been a slow day, and they had two or three mechanics all doing pieces of it in tandem. But I'd ask for the results to see.
C ould also have been a busy day. When a guy is doing the same services daily you can get pretty quick and good it at due to repetition.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I did get a printout...said 60% wear on the front and back.....a visual on that takes 30 seconds, my point being most of these items on the B check is visual anyway.....could be done everytime you get an oil change or tire rotation, very little actual labor involved....still seems like a cash grab to me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
what is the milege on you'r 07 BobW ? I have a 07 with 41000 and I do most of the work myself like brake's ,filters , oil , diff fluid, so on. I don't like the idea of paying a dealer $200+ for a vissuel check. Im not saying they dident do the work im just real carfull with my lute these day's..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is the milege on you'r 07 BobW ? I have a 07 with 41000 and I do most of the work myself like brake's ,filters , oil , diff fluid, so on. I don't like the idea of paying a dealer $200+ for a vissuel check. Im not saying they dident do the work im just real carfull with my lute these day's..
Hi Marvin....my 07 has about 50,000km or 30,000miles. No issues at all with my E. I like to do the checks when scheduled but it seems the Dealers use these as a way to bill the customer with minimal amount of actual work done, I've been feeling this way since my first E in 2003, I doubt if it's just Honda or even my current Dealer in Surrey BC for that matter.....I think it's industry wide. The newer cars/trucks have fewer maintenace issues and with Honda pretty much trouble free so they concoct (sp) all these checks to keep you coming in for more.
Yes I would like to do the work myself and have done so in past years...the thing is why cannot the dealer be trusted....I know I'm not the only one feeling this way.
BTW how do you like your 07....any issues?
Bob

·
12,179 Posts
Ya I did get a printout...said 60% wear on the front and back.....a visual on that takes 30 seconds, my point being most of these items on the B check is visual anyway.....could be done everytime you get an oil change or tire rotation, very little actual labor involved....still seems like a cash grab to me.

A "B" service is more than just a visual. There is a brake service as well.

Factory Recommended Maintenance

Maintenance Main Symbols

Main Item A

• Replace engine oil*
Main Item B/B1

• Replace engine oil* and oil filter.
  • Service front and rear brakes.
  • Rotate tires**, inspect for wear and adjust pressure.
  • Inspect parking brake adjustments.
  • Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
  • Inspect suspension components.
  • Inspect driveshaft boots.
  • Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS).
  • Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks.
  • Inspect exhaust system.
  • Inspect fuel lines

·
Registered
247 Posts
I love my 07 EX, no mager issues. I did have a rear pass side brake caliper pin stick at 30000 miles or so that wore my pad down but it's easy (for me) to lube and maintain the brakes on my Honda. I think the E is very user friendly when it comes to mantinence and with the help of a service manuel you can do alot. I follow the mantinence light to the T and if I can't preform a service myself I trust my honda dealer to do so in a fair and respectible fashen. Im just extra carfull with my lute and ask alot of questions , if they cant anser to my liking I call them on it. So far so good...Ow ya and a recall on the instrement panel (Replaced by my dealer (Eartly Moter World )
P.S. you'r owners manuel should have the brake down of what each code means like Lizzurd posted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx Lizzurd for posting the B check info.....yes you are right there is some work to be done, namely servicing the brakes.....now what would that entail under normal circumstances. They pull the wheels for tire rotation.....the meat on the pads looks OK....that's it or would there be more to it than that....if so doesn't seem in my case it could be done in 45 minutes or less.

·
12,179 Posts
Thanx Lizzurd for posting the B check info.....yes you are right there is some work to be done, namely servicing the brakes.....now what would that entail under normal circumstances. They pull the wheels for tire rotation.....the meat on the pads looks OK....that's it or would there be more to it than that....if so doesn't seem in my case it could be done in 45 minutes or less.

The tires are pulled off and the caliper bolts are "supposed" to be removed so the caliper slider pins and associated hardware can be cleaned and greased. When done properly it is a time consuming job. But it can be done in less than an hour.

·
Registered
872 Posts
$$$$$ thats seems thats all the dealers want to do.and the techs are getting lazy & not doing what there are there for. but you never know unless you check thier work.

·
12,179 Posts
$$$$$ thats seems thats all the dealers want to ..

Isn't that the purpose of any business? To make money? My department makes money and i get to keep my job. If my department was to be loosing money consistantly i would be looking for a new job.

A lot of dealers are no doing daily quialty control spot checks to make sure what the customer is paying for is getting done.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A "B" service is more than just a visual. There is a brake service as well.

Factory Recommended Maintenance

Maintenance Main Symbols

Main Item A

• Replace engine oil*
Main Item B/B1

• Replace engine oil* and oil filter.
  • Service front and rear brakes.
  • Rotate tires**, inspect for wear and adjust pressure.
  • Inspect parking brake adjustments.
  • Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
  • Inspect suspension components.
  • Inspect driveshaft boots.
  • Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS).
  • Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks.
  • Inspect exhaust system.
  • Inspect fuel lines

Interesting, where yours shows "service brakes", mine (2008 ) just says "inspect brakes" Otherwise, all the other items listed are the same!

Just had mine in for service "B" 1&2 @ 50k miles. My Dealer does an inspection as part of the lube service, so that took care of the "B". I rotate my own tires and check the brakes, taking care of "1", and I bought the filters and installed them myself, for "2".

So for a "B" 1&2, it cost $45 for the lube/inspection, less $10 mail-in rebate they give you, and $55 for an air filter and the two cabin air filters, so $90 out the door!

·
12,179 Posts

Yesterday while i was hanging out in the shop i had a chat with my shop foreman and a couple other of our licenced guys about this service. They all agreed for one guy working on it that it would take at least an hour to do a proper job. Two guys working together could do it in 45 minutes.

A quick service would just be pulling ogg the caliper and cleaning and lubing the pins and applying some M77 to the brake pad shims.

The "proper" way to do it is to pull the calipers and mounting brackets and clean out all the rust and crap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yesterday while i was hanging out in the shop i had a chat with my shop foreman and a couple other of our licenced guys about this service. They all agreed for one guy working on it that it would take at least an hour to do a proper job. Two guys working together could do it in 45 minutes.

A quick service would just be pulling ogg the caliper and cleaning and lubing the pins and applying some M77 to the brake pad shims.

The "proper" way to do it is to pull the calipers and mounting brackets and clean out all the rust and crap.
OK that's good info...so maybe it was done maybe not....in my case I say the later, the shop was busy during my appointment so I believe only one guy was on the vehical....however knowing this will have me "forewarned" for the next check to ask the right questions.
Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts