Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know if the service dept will give you an option on your oil type? I know honda wants you to use w20, but here in Chicago it gets really nasty in the summer and i want the option to use w30.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I agree with you on this one - to some extent. I differ from you in that i do all of my own work. I definitely agree that 5W-20 oil shouldn't be used under harsh conditions. When I do my first oil change in about 2 weeks, I'm going with Quaker State 5W-30. The summers here in Oklahoma have been very hot with many days over 100 degrees F. The "20" component can't take that kind of heat for very long, so it's 5W-30 for me. I've been using it my civic and my wifes accord and have had excellent luck with it. P.S. you might want to try doing your own oil changes -there very easy on honda products and gives you sense of pride in doing your own maintenance and besdies that YOU pick what kind of oil to use.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ion,

I never changed my own oil so i was wondering if it is easy to do? Can anyone give me a step by step process of doing it. Where do i dispose of the oil :roll:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I spoke with Honda and they said that the tolerences on the engine are so tight you should not go over the 20 weight oil. As far as oil changes the dealership we bought ours from will change it fo $21.00 and that is using a Honda filter.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Element - Your owners manual has great instructions on how to do it (pp 223 -224). Most any parts store, dealership or "quickee oil change" place will take your used oil. Always remember to use a Honda filter and new drain plug washer. Since it sounds like to me that you haven't done work like this before, i would highly recommend letting your dealership do the first oil change because they put the oil filters on very tight at the factory and could be difficult to remove if you don't have the proper wrench. Good luck!

Flattop - The crankshaft bearing clearances on the E are 0.0007 - 0.0016 inches with a maximum service clearance of 0.0020 inches. On a civic they are looser (0.0020 - 0.004 inches 0.006 max). Yes, the dimensions are tighter on the E, but i'm having trouble with the carbon chain length on 30 W oil being much larger than 20W oil. it's difficult to imagine any oil would not be able to flow in those very tight bearing clearances. I can see a possible increase in friction while using 30W oil during the winter months but the summer months are what's worrying me. Hmmm - this one requires more thought.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will their be a problem using 2 grades of oil during the year? For example, using W20 in the winter and then switching the grade to W30 in the summer months? Will it hurt or make the engine last shorter?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil Viscosity

I just spoke with the dealership that sold me my '06 Element and they said when they ran out of 5W 20W recently they used 5W 30W temporarily. Said no problem if one uses 5W 30W oil.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Manwhoknewtoolittle said:
I just spoke with the dealership that sold me my '06 Element and they said when they ran out of 5W 20W recently they used 5W 30W temporarily. Said no problem if one uses 5W 30W oil.

Welcome to the EOC I see that this is your first post. First fill in your profile. second check the date of the original post this was a question asked in 2003. It isn't a concern anymore. Thanks for the input and again Welcome

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
For what it's worth I use 0W20 in the winter and 5W20 in the summer. Yesterday it was 104. Today will be about the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts