Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to buy an Element this week, but I'm finding all sorts of price differences. It seems like most everyone is within a few hundred dollars in relation to price off MSRP, but what kind of deals are you finding on the extra charges? It seems that some charge destination and processing fees, while others don't. Some even throw in accessories to sweeten the deal. The best deal in my town isn't offering anything off MSRP but is knocking off destination but still charging a $300 processing fee. That doesn't seem that great to me, so can you give me some ideas on what kind of deals you gotten beyond the MSRP price? Getting a bunch off MSRP doesn't mean much if I'm going to be hit with all of extra prices. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All!

Destination charges are not negotiable in the true sense of the word. This is a fee charged to the car by the manufacturer. If the dealer is coming off of the car $300 then that is the discount on the car.

As far as processing fees they are a bunch of crud as well. Here is what you pay for Car including destination, tax, and title fees for your state. You may have a DOC fee as part of your title that is no big deal. Tax is based on the sales price and is not negotiable. If the dealer says they are including tax and title it is in the price of the car. The best thing to do is get everything itemized out. If you want to know what the cost of title and things are in your area call around.

If they want a processing fee or prep charge tell them no or negotiate it out. There is a cost of doing business and they are trying to get you to pay for it.

I hope this doesn't just sound like rambling.

Good Luck!
JSHY

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our family has always gone with fleet sales when buying cars, and we've NEVER payed more than $600 over dealer cost. No dealer mark ups, no proccessing fee's, just $600 more than the Kelly bluebook dealer cost. We've usually ended up saving around $3000-$5000 and all accessories are priced at cost usually with no installation fee.

-Wolph

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jshy et al,

Thanks for the info...it can be so confusing.

Has anyone ever bought a car out of state, and if so what's your take (positive/negative)? I emailed Kim in Joliet who posted an ad on the board, and she's quoted me a 4WD EX (no accessories) at $20,528 (which includes car, destination, DOC, and a couple of items totalling $17). It seems like a pretty good deal since my local dealer is charging $21,150 (the difference being about $400 on the car plus a $300 processing fee). Kim mentioned that I will have to pay tax and tag in my state. Kim seem very easy to deal with and saving an extra $600 sounds good, but am I'm running into potential problems by buying out of state?

Wolph, how do you get a fleet rate? Can I join your family?

Thanks!
HondaHappy

·
Registered
311 Posts
[quote:1971f0873f="Hondahappy"]I'm hoping to buy an Element this week, but I'm finding all sorts of price differences. It seems like most everyone is within a few hundred dollars in relation to price off MSRP, but what kind of deals are you finding on the extra charges? It seems that some charge destination and processing fees, while others don't. Some even throw in accessories to sweeten the deal. The best deal in my town isn't offering anything off MSRP but is knocking off destination but still charging a $300 processing fee. That doesn't seem that great to me, so can you give me some ideas on what kind of deals you gotten beyond the MSRP price? Getting a bunch off MSRP doesn't mean much if I'm going to be hit with all of extra prices. Thanks for the help!!![/quote:1971f0873f]

The dealer I went to that has a good reputation charges a $460.00 freight charge and a $249.00 processing fee. That is $709.00 right off the bat in fees. :shock:

LittleDogBox
Arlington,Va.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts