Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming home the other night and a deer jumped in front of my Element. I had ZERO time to react and was going 70 mph!

No airbag deployment and the Element kept going straight as an arrow. My dashboard lit-up like a Christmas tree and the temp gauge went red-line in about 10 seconds.

Speed dropped to 45 mph and rpms jumped to 6,000. Was able to pull-over at a rest-stop just a mile away (one of the few still open in CA).

Body shop says $5,000 in damages, but could have been a lot worse. I bet if I had been driving an Xb (my second choice), I wouldn't be writing this.

State Farm is picking-up the repair costs, and no, I don't have anything salvageable for sale!

Me: 1, Deer: 0.

Cheers!

·
Registered
67 Posts
So.....how's the deer???
...... taste? I might suggest brine-ing it in a seawater tasting salt water bath with black peppercorns and bay leaves over night. The following day I would suggest a roast it to 120 with layers of prosciutto laid over it to keep it moist and serve with a cider elderberry reduction with some garlic sauteed mustard greens. :)

Don't forget to let it rest for 15 minutes after roasting, before cutting.

Glad everyone's okay ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
176 Posts
yep me too, just after last Thanksgiving. $4000 damage. The Element was super in the crash. Made it home. The main repair cost was the radaitor, ac condenser, trans cooler, etc. The good thig was no one else was involved, nothing but the deer hit, and we never left the roadway.

Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm wondering why the airbag didn't deploy? It looks like there was enough impact on the front end to set them off.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I'm wondering why the airbag didn't deploy? It looks like there was enough impact on the front end to set them off.
If i receall the triggers are here (circles)
because those weren't depressed the car didn't know.

most of the time the reinforcement is so "pushed" it pulls those back ( in a collision with a bumper persay) but since the deer hit the middle and probably slid under the truck it was RIGHT THERE....but not enough.

Anyone confirm?

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

most of the time the reinforcement is so "pushed" it pulls those back ( in a collision with a bumper persay) but since the deer hit the middle and probably slid under the truck it was RIGHT THERE....but not enough.

Anyone confirm?
That was my thought as well. Plus, it didn't experience any sudden deceleration, so those sensors were never triggered either

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Looking at that, I'm think the deer wasn't very big...

The one I hit in the old sunfire bounced off the windshield, and along the passenger side...and I was only doing about 20 when I hit it (or it hit us...) and was turning to avoid it...
Granted the Sunfire is a lower profile vehicle, but the damage to the hood, windshield and side panels was pretty bad...

·
Registered
8,753 Posts

Anyone confirm?
I don't know if that is completely true. If you were to hit let's say a tree or telephone pole dead center I would certainly expect/hope the airbags to deploy. They deploy in other cars and can't imagine that Honda wouldn't allow for accidents other than bumper to bumper to trigger the airbags.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know if that is completely true. If you were to hit let's say a tree or telephone pole dead center I would certainly expect/hope the airbags to deploy. They deploy in other cars and can't imagine that Honda wouldn't allow for accidents other than bumper to bumper to trigger the airbags.
I think such an impact would trigger the airbags due to the rapid deceleration of the vehicle.

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts

From the service manual:

The SRS is a safety device which, when used with the seat belt, is designed to help protect the driver and front
passenger in a frontal impact exceeding a certain set limit. The system consists of the SRS unit, including safing
sensor and impact sensor (A), the cable reel (B), the driver’s airbag (C), the front passenger’s airbag (D), seat belt
tensioners (I), seat belt buckle tensioners (J), and front impact sensors (K). Since the driver’s and front passenger’s
airbags use the same sensors, both normally inflate at the same time. However, it is possible for only one airbag to
inflate. This can occur when the severity of a collision is at the margin, or threshold, that determines whether or not
the airbags will deploy. In such cases, the seat belt will provide sufficient protection, and the supplemental protection
offered by the airbag would be minimal.

It comes down the the severity of the impact.

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts

Anyone confirm?

The sensors are mounted on the outside of the frame rail just under the headlamp. You can see the passenger side sensor beside the washer bottle.They are an inertia type sensor that do not need to take a direct hit to signal the airbags to pop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All fixed!

I got my Element back on Friday!

Thanks to Davis Automotive in Atascadero and State Farm, my car is good-as-new and I didn't have to pay a dime. Plus, because I didn't rent a car, State Farm gave me enough cash so I could buy my Droid R2D2 phone.

I think of that poor deer every time R2 rings...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Deer vs Element

That sucks - I pegged one in October. $5,500 in damage to the Element. The deer ran off but who knows if they die shortly after?!?

Look at the good side, the front end will be all new! Thank goodness for insurance!

Buy deer whistles (Actually, I don't know if they work but it would be a good mythbusters skit).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Buy deer whistles (Actually, I don't know if they work but it would be a good mythbusters skit).

Good Luck!
:lol: You need to submit that to them at DIscovery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts