Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Been a lurker and owner for years, and finally decided to start posting my build and the projects I've been working on. I recently posted in the ‘show me your rack’ thread and wanted to do an individual post. Hope you enjoy and sorry in advance if I ramble as I type this all up and remember the last couple of years.

Being an avid tinkerer and customizer, I definitely wanted a certain look and worked pretty hard to get it. But I found a lot of inspiration from this site and other off road vehicles like the Jeeps and Toyotas.

First (years ago) I modified and tinkered with a Z71 Tahoe Rack, mostly because I think its the best factory rack out there and saw one available on craigslist, and I got the itch to be creative with that vision. It had built-in backup light spots and I liked the full length adjustable rails. Took a lot of work to figure it out, but I made it work and ran it with light bars, kayak bars and a Thule cargo box that I already had. I ran this setup for over a year and it looked and worked great!

Until I got the itch to do something better...

I saw these Toyotas and Jeeps roll around with these bad-ass roof racks and I got reinspired. So I started planning. I’m around design and manufacturing at work and knew I wanted to use aluminum sheet metal to do it one piece, but tried to figure out forever what to use for cross bars. Then 80/20 hit me and Boom! Problem solved! Coincidentally a co-worker came in one day with one of those racks on his Tacoma and I had to check it out. Surprisingly (or maybe not) the setup was exactly what I had envisioned in my head, so at least that confirmed I was on the right track.

It definitely didn’t happen overnight, actually took quite a while, designing, guesstimating, manufacturing, fit checking, revising, testing, more revising, and everything to get it where it is today. But overall I’m happy with it and get a lot of compliments around town. Added back on the light bar and new rear lights and that’s how it sits today.

It uses the 4 main OEM rail mounts, plus 6 additional others, for 10 total mounting points to the roof. And one of the cool features I built-in was a second set of bolt holes on the cross-rails. So it’s modular to make it a basket style or platform like you see in the pics.

Enjoy the pics. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Deezy, it's uncanny how much your rack and the one in this vid resemble one another, are you affiliated with them? I'd love this rack for my Element!

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Thanks for sharing. No - I'm not affiliated. And at the same time not surprised something else has popped up. I've had mine on my car since 9/2017.

But that's a good looking rack and it looks well built.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts