Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
With the rain and darkness is starting to fall in the PNW...

Here's what my E looks like lit up with my lighting setup.

After I re-do my Bull Bar setup, I plan to put another LED bar in the vicinity of the license plate. But that's a 2019 project as my new bull bar is going to take some time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Added some pics in the forum and figured I'd repost them in my build thread.

Here are some pics of the custom class 3 rear high hitch, semi-integrated and sticking out of the rear bumper. I wanted functionality and more clearance, and of course it had to look good. But throwing it all together can be a bit tricky.

I removed the curved crush absorber and this hitch uses those same 4 mounting points on the end of the frame (where the curved crush absorber mounts), plus the 4 mounting points from the class 3 hitch. Yes the curve throws a wrench in there, but I have it figured out.

For about a year I ran this hitch without the bumper cover, and only recently finally trimmed the cover for the recessed look. Not too bad. I'll also relocate the wiring connector one of these days.

I've been planning and toying around with different ideas for my 2019 projects, ultimately want a rear tire swing. But trying to combine the class 3, integrated high hitch, recessed into the cover, make usable rear steps, tire swing...and make it all look good, and have time has proven a bit difficult. Right now I only have 3 of the 5. I figure usable rear steps would be a really nice have too. One day...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Also decided to finally trim out the front of the wheel well to get rid of most of the rubbing issues. Should have done this sooner...

I think it looks good and is really discrete, probably wouldn't even notice if I didnt show and tell.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Nice!

Hows the steering over bumps? My Lincolns pull a little tug on the steering a little it. It seems to be worse now than it used to be, so I'm guessing my 210k mile shocks (or whenever the last person threw Monroes on) are making it a little worse than it would otherwise be.

If yours doesn't pull at all then my hypothesis is likely off base.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Really impressed with the notch. Ya I would have noticed it unless you told me.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nice!

Hows the steering over bumps? My Lincolns pull a little tug on the steering a little it. It seems to be worse now than it used to be, so I'm guessing my 210k mile shocks (or whenever the last person threw Monroes on) are making it a little worse than it would otherwise be.

If yours doesn't pull at all then my hypothesis is likely off base.
Hmm...I'm not even sure. I'll have to pay more attention the next time I drive over some bumps. I'm so used to how it handles that I dont even think about it.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Somehow forgot to mention the horn setup. I did this years ago early on too.

I bought red ones on ebay, then painted them to be more subtle.

Another one of those installs you probably wouldn't notice unless I pointed it out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Also forgot about the rear camera.

Saw a post about reverse cameras and realized I never posted anything about mine. I used to work in car electronics back in the day, and have always had DDIN screen and rear camera for as long as I can remember.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
this is an awesome build! have you had any issues with vibrations while accelerating?
I'd have to assume you are wondering about axle vibration under acceleration with lift kits?

If so, then yes I do. Its minor since I'm running a smaller front lift. But with these Elements anytime you run a lift with aftermarket axles then your asking for some vibration under acceleration. And I am running aftermarket axles.

I'll be trying the washer idea sometime this year and I'm hopeful that it fixes it or at least makes it better.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
do you remember what camera you are using and cost? looking for a rear camera to plug into my ddin.
Kenwood or Pioneer Back up cameras are what I recommend. I have a Kenwood CMOS-130.

I highly recommend the name brand cameras over the cheap china stuff. I tried to save a buck initially and went with the cheap stuff (twice) and was very unimpressed. I would have saved more time, money and effort if I had just gone name brand up front.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
No wheel spacers. 0 offset pushes out the tires and wheels quite a bit.

How big of a lift do you have?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Deezy, I really like the 3" driving lights. I didn't notice if you said what the manufacture is. Let me know the make ad model number please. Enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ended up being a historic amount of snow for the Seattle area. My E performed very well even with my worn Toyo AT's.

While I wasnt able to go up steep roads with 6" of powder (I think it was the tires or maybe me not doing something right at the time). I was able to drive in and out of the neighborhood with 12-18" of snow. I also found 2nd and 1st gears to perform better with the deep snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can you turn off VSA in a pre-07? I found that the VSA was killing my power whenever it sensed enough wheel slip (like going up a rutted hill and bouncing the tires)

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
for pre-2007 vehicles, Honda anticipated the need and permanently turned off the VSA at the factory. They didn't even charge extra for this service. And, since Honda is weight conscious, they removed all the VSA electronics, wiring and switches just to make the vehicle more responsive.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts