Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night, I had 4 passengers, and I couldn't keep the windows from fogging up.

I had the AC on, and the Defrost cranked up, but the side windows as well as windshield would not completely clear.

It was exactly like the AC wasn't engaged, even though the light was illuminated. Does that make sense?

NOTE: A few weeks ago, I performed that AC / Defrost MOD that was issued here, would this affect my issue?
I tried with and without recirculate mode, and cracking a window. Appears my AC isn't working?

MY Element is a 2010 with 600 miles on it.

Thanks for any help!

(NOT RELATED, But Also, I had a horrible rattle in the Drivers Door above the window, and am still trying to figure that one out)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I was going to do that after dinner, and after finishing shoveling the Driveway.
I'll update thread with results.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
All it takes is a few minutes with the recirculate on and a car full of mouth breathers and your windows will take forever to clear up. The ac mod does nothing but give you the ability to turn the ac off when running defrost. Try opening the wing windows or sunroof to vent the excess moisture or...

...tell everyone to get out or hold their breath. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
yeah, i was going to suggest that you remove 2 or 3 of the heaviest breathers and go from there, but that's probably not socially acceptable.
if not, then have the heaviest breathers exhale thru an open window and make sure you using defrost w/o recirculate.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I still haven't figured out why anyone would want to do that A/C disconnect mod.
Same here! I have always cracked the windows and vent out the moist heat quickly for a bit and the trucks system catches up. I have warmed up the truck for a bit before getting in it seems to help if you can.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I still haven't figured out why anyone would want to do that A/C disconnect mod.
The reason I did it is when it's -30F and 4% humidity it is better not to run the ac. I live in Babbitt a few miles away from Embarrass, the coldest spot in the lower 48. Prolly not a concern for most folks but up here it can be sub zero for several days at a time and the ac system can ice up pretty quick if you don't have a heated garage to park in. Otherwise if the humidity is higher than 25% the ac will keep the cabin air dryer and prevent condensation on the windows.

The reason many people do the mod is to save the six or so horsepower the ac compressor robs.;-)

·
Registered
226 Posts
"The reason many people do the mod is to save the six or so horsepower the ac compressor robs.;-)"

I don't believe that you loose that much at all. I drove up to central Wisconsin and got 25mpg with the A/C on. Power was great. No drop in performance. Mythbuster did a segment on A/C and gas mileage and busted it:039:. They found no change in fuel economy with the a/c on or off.

·
1,049 Posts
Motochef said:
Mythbuster did a segment on A/C and gas mileage and busted it:039:. They found no change in fuel economy with the a/c on or off.

Actually that is not accurate.

Mythbusters compared: Using the A/C with the windows up VS. No A/C and windows down.

There would be a noticeable increase in MPG if running the A/C with windows up VS. NOT running the A/C with the windows up.

Here is the link to the episode notes

·
Registered
715 Posts
The A/C compressor is constantly kicking on and off when you are using it. If it pulled that many horsepower, you would feel it every time it kicked in or out.

My daughter's first car was a Chevy Chevette and it had A/C. It would almost kill the motor when the compressor kicked in. That's the only car I have ever seen where you could actually feel a HP loss when the A/C kicked in while driving.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The A/C compressor is constantly kicking on and off when you are using it. If it pulled that many horsepower, you would feel it every time it kicked in or out.

My daughter's first car was a Chevy Chevette and it had A/C. It would almost kill the motor when the compressor kicked in. That's the only car I have ever seen where you could actually feel a HP loss when the A/C kicked in while driving.
I got you trumped! I had a 95' Geo Metro 1 litre 3 cylinder. I had to downshift when the ac turned on. I ended up gutting the ac since the windows were fully functional and you just don't really need ac in Minnesota. A good heater is another story!:grin:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
lol that was funny I spent a total of 3 weeks in winter in Minnesota heat is a major need there

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have my codes set so that the a/c still comes on with defrost, and it also turns on the a/c indicator light to remind me that it's running the compressor. Originally from the factory, my 2003 didn't light up the indicator.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I tried with and without recirculate mode, and cracking a window. Appears my AC isn't working?
I say don't undo your mod. It does take awhile to get all the moisture out of the cabin, even on proper settings, and when you tried "recirculate" it re-humidified the cabin and the system had to start from scratch. 4 bodies can put out a bunch of moisture... esp. if you guys were hiking, dancing, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts