Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen or done a professional install of the Delphi SkiFi in an Element? I do not want wires everywhere. I want to be able to reach the unit while driving.

I also want to hard wire it to the Aux input as I am not too impressed with the FM mod. Any help is appreciated!! I miss satellite radio in my car.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I am also very interested in this. I was planning to get a SkiFi and FM modulator for my soon-to-be-E. (I've got a Sony XM system on my current car; and consider XM more essential than a CD player.) I hadn't realized that the FM modulator would reduce the XM quality, if that's what you're saying, and I hadn't realized that there were other options.

I would also be interested in where other E-owners have placed the SkiFi.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had my Delphi unit installed just above the sub-woofer on the lip below the stick shift. It works well there, but when they pulled out the woofer cover the right clamp doesn't work. I'll have to have it fixed next time in the shop.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm getting that same adaptor tomorrow... a local vendor in San Jose has one on the shelf.

My question is -- once you've got it in, how do you select it? just press the CD button again? I'm hoping someone with a CD-changer can tell us. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
no, no... I mean the PIE HON-AUX adaptor.

I don't use the FM modulator. The sound quality on them is terrible compared to direct-aux input. Seriously. :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well, I think I found what I was looking for. Below is a link to a company that sells a hard wired connector for the SkiFi. It uses the CD changer port on the back of my head unit.

http://logjamelectronics.com/logjam/piehonaux.html
That converter looks like what I need to get, but the webpage mentions using Sony and Pioneer XM Satellite Interfaces, with different part numbers for each. It doesn't mention the Delphi SkiFi.

Does the SkiFi connect using either the Sony or Pioneer compatible converter, or is there a different part number for the SkiFi?

Thanks!! I want to get this part ordered so I can get XM in my new E as soon as possible after it arrives. Thanks!

Impatiently waiting for my SOP in Virginia....

·
Registered
204 Posts
[quote:7f198132d7="Tugrik"]I'm getting that same adaptor tomorrow... a local vendor in San Jose has one on the shelf.

My question is -- once you've got it in, how do you select it? just press the CD button again? I'm hoping someone with a CD-changer can tell us. :)[/quote:7f198132d7]

Yup, that's how it works Tugrik. When you press CD, it will change from "CD" (if you have a disc in the player) to "CDC". I am wondering if I could daisy chain onto this, as the specs for the CD changer indicate that there can be as many as four changers. I would love to be able to keep the changer *and* use this method for connecting both the XM and an iPod. Can you tell that music is important to me? :D :shock: :D

BTW, which store are you referring to? I work in Santa Clara (right next to Great America).

·
Registered
461 Posts
I wrote Precision Interface Electronics, Inc. yesterday to ask them which of their auxilary inputs would work for SkiFi and the E, and the reply just got here- NONE!

Here's what P.I.E. wrote:
Hello,

Our auxiliary input for Honda will not work on the Element. We are
currently working on this, but there is no ET.

Thank You for contacting PIE
So, have those of you who've bought an interface gotten it to work? Is there another manufacturer that I can try? If not, I guess I'll have to go the FM modulator route for the time being. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't been able to pick up the adaptor yet; busybusy at work, and the installer who has one isn't open late-hours. I should be picking it up friday.

The thing is that the element has 2 types of stereo depending on if you get the EX or the DX. The 7-speaker EX has the 14-pin changer jack that SHOULD work with the normal protocol PIE HON-AUX adaptors. I've been told I can get my money back if it doesn't... so we'll see what happens this weekend. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I picked up the HON-AUX adapter today; it's sittin' in a box on my passenger seat. :D I'll do the install later tonight (if I get time) or tomorrow morning. I'm also going to install an audio/power cord for my Garmin SP-III GPS and an overhead power for my Passport radar detector. I'll take pics when I'm done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The bad news: The 14-pin changer port on the EX-model Honda stereo is NOT compatible with the PIE-AUX adapter. :(

The good news: I was able to identify and tap to the AUX-IN line directly and under-dash wire the Delphi unit in. I also shorted the 'plug sensor' for the aux-jack so it thinks something is always plugged in. The installation looks smooth and cable-free. It sounds just as good as it did plugged directly into the AUX-jack... which is to say, notably better than when I tried it through FM modulation.

While I was in there I also ran a permanent power cord for the Garmin Streetpilot nav unit so the dash-top mount is now clean. Next came the disassembly of the overhead bin where I tapped the powerline from the map lights to give the Passport 8500 a dedicated power cord out the rear-view mirror mount hole. I wish this was a switched input, though. I fear forgetting to turn off the Passport upon leaving the car.

The end result is Nav, XM and radar-detection without cables dangling everywhere -- and my aux and power jacks are free and clear for use with the iPod and/or laptop, as they should be. If I run the XM and the Aux-in jack at the same time the signals just mix, but that's not always healthy for the audio equipment so I try not to.

I'll take pics later this week when it's done raining.

·
Registered
141 Posts
[quote:fc3c06ae7e="Tugrik"]
While I was in there I also ran a permanent power cord for the Garmin Streetpilot nav unit so the dash-top mount is now clean.
[/quote:fc3c06ae7e]

I was wondering if this was a StreetPilotIII, and if so are you even messing with the speaker for the voice commands? I have this Nav unit and have the speaker/car adapter setup for now.

Anxious to see your pics!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks for the info, Tugrik. Since I'm not as handy as you obviously are, I think I'm going to stick with the auxiliary input for my Delphi until PIE markets a converter for the EX Element. The email from PIE indicated that they were working on the problem. I too look forward to your install pictures.

By the way, where did you install your XM antenna?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got my delphi put in this past week! I will be posting a photo tonight - we put it in front of the cup holders and its perfect! We just tune to a channel on the radio and there are our 100 channels!!! :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Please do post a picture! I'm trying to decide where to put my Delphi.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't have a way to post them tonight. The site I use is down - if anyone wants me to mail the photo, let me know :oops:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I, too, have the Delphi unit and car adapter. Forgetting for a moment where to actually mount the thing (several posters have mentioned workable solutions), are any of you using the AUX input or FM modulator?

When I connected mine to the AUX input, everything was great except that the volume wasn't very high. I had to turn the volume up to max on the E's stereo even with the Delphi's line out volume all the way up. It was loud at this setting, but only as loud as the integrated CD turned up 1/2 way!

I'd like to know if this is just me (maybe a bad stereo cable or something) or if others are having a similar problem.

For those of you with the FM modulator in place, any problems with volume? It's not that I listen to really loud music all the time, but it just seems like I should get similar volume output between the AUX input and the other stereo outputs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts