Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2003 Element in SOP for about 4 years. Loved it but decided I needed a truck to haul my motorcycles in. So, traded it and got a Tacoma Doublecab. Now I don't do the motorcycle thing anymore but do more dog sports, so back to the honda dealer I went. I was struck by 3 things. 1. I don't really care for the CRV 2. The salesman didn't really care for the Element. 3. You can really take a huge hit on depreciation if your vehicle has been in an accident even if it's repair was superb.

So, I'm back to keeping the Tacoma for awhile longer. The CRV just didn't impress me, the Elements were few and far between with no deals on 'em and 4-5K is just too much of a hit to take on a trade in off what my trade should be worth. I'm tempted to go to a different dealer to see what the trade amount would be but not sure I want to bother. Nothing wrong with the Tacoma afterall and my dogs still fit. Just not as comfy for them as the Element used to be with the back seats out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I feel your pain. The Element has personality, utility and generally unique appeal. Putting the pups in the back is one of the primary reason we just bought an E.

Maybe in a year the depreciation gap won't be as bad. They may be hard to find, but good used Elements will be out there for awhile. Good luck.

·
Registered
541 Posts
try selling Tacoma privately would be my suggestion... ;-)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Ditto!

Go private party, the dealers just want to steal your Tacoma that's why you're getting such a low trade-in value.

Pre-owned Toyata Tacomas are the best selling small truck on the market.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was just in the same situation as you. Seems as though there's no clean cut number for a car that was accident repaired. There was $4,500 difference on the trade-in value from one Honda dealer to another! (trade in was not a Honda) I tended to ask for a trade valuation from the dealers before I would even talk to them about the Element just to see if it was worth a discussion. Good luck!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Doesn't hurt to try and sell it privately. The dealer especially these days won't give you what you want or need.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gobolts I did the same thing. I knew there would be depreciation so I went in asking the trade in value first. Thats interesting that you got that big of a difference between dealers. I did get an email back from the dealer telling me the manager wanted to give me more money for my trade. But I asked for an upfront straight answer on the trade amount and I don't feel like going back to their dealership a dozen times for them to give me whats right. They had their chance in my opinion.

I sold my last E privately because the dealer wouldn't give me the trade dollars I wanted. I may sell my Tacoma privately when I'm ready. It makes sense to sell it privately as there are thousands of dollars difference often. I just hate having to let strange people off the street drive my car around and I don't really care to ride around with strangers on test drives by myself either. So, I admit I have traded in before. I just never have been this burned on a trade in amount!

Maybe this is a sign I'm supposed to wait on a 2010 model :) Plus Honda has little to no deals right now on anything!

I was just in the same situation as you. Seems as though there's no clean cut number for a car that was accident repaired. There was $4,500 difference on the trade-in value from one Honda dealer to another! (trade in was not a Honda) I tended to ask for a trade valuation from the dealers before I would even talk to them about the Element just to see if it was worth a discussion. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I have always done it a little differently. Instead of asking the salesdrone what they will give me for my old vehicle I go into the dealership armed with a rough idea of what my vehicle is worth (in the case of the Element purchase I added $1000 to the trade in value on my E150 van), what the invoice is on the car I want to buy (or blue book if it is used), come up with the difference and that is what I will pay. I do not "gush" over the new car and explain that I don't have to buy a new car but if they will meet my price I will write a check today. I don't care what my old car is worth I am only interested in the difference. In the Element purchase I said I would pay $1X,XXX difference and if they couldn't deal at that price I would be on my way. The salesdrone took the paperwork into the salesmanager and when he came back he said "Well, we can't do that but we can do this." and showed me a figure two thousand above what I wanted to pay. I responded that he apparently wasn't listening when I said that $1X,XXX was all I was going to pay. He then went back to the SM and came out a few minutes later to tell me that they would meet my price plus dealer fees, shipping and sales tax. I got up from the table and told him that I would write him a check for $1X,XXX and not a penny more and the wife and I walked out to our van. Just as I was getting it started the salesdrone and the SM came runnning out to tell me we had a deal and that they would take my check for $1X,XXX. To their credit they even knocked off $48 which was the finance fee since I was paying cash. It can be done, they can work the figures to include everything in order to fit the price you want to pay. I've used this method three times and it has never failed.

OBTW, Serj22 has a good buying example:

The dealer did all their usual tricks... "wait here while I talk to the manager" "HE says I cant sell it for that price...."

I finished the deal, by saying, "look, I have $8,000 in cash in my pocket right now. I have to pick up my daughter from soccer practice in 20 minutes (I did not have a daughter or children) and if you can sign this over now, for that much, that's all I'm doing, otherwise I have to go."

...it worked...

·
Registered
727 Posts
When my driving needs changed (radically!), I took my 3 year old 1 ton Dodge dually with the Cummins turbo diesel and they made an incredibly low trade in offer. The price on the Accord LX, 5spd. manual was really, really good price. I told them the way the was going to go down or I was out of there! There was a phone message at home saying they would give me the deal I submitted to them in the first place. You just have to stick to your guns with those folks and mean what you say. According to the Kelly Blue Book indicated that I paid less than what the car was worth on a private party sale and mine was brand spanky new! With my truck, I knew what I had and what it was worth so a bit of knowledge going into a deal is a real good idea! If the dealer won't give you what, then sell privately. Toyota trucks are a real "Blue Chip" item these days!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts