Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went to David McDavid in Irving and was told they'd deal with me when I was ready to buy. Needless to say I'm not too interested in them. And I wasn't the last time I purchased a Honda.

Who's had great experiences? I'll use you as a referral! But I want to know what kind of deal you negotiated to use your name as a referral. I'm going to contact Eagle Honda next.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
19 Posts
onemetre,

I agree on McDavid Honda. In February, I went there also. The sales person barely spoke English, knew next to nothing about the vehicle and was not ready to offer me a test drive. I also hate the location. As soon as you pull out of the lot, look out and floor it or you will get run over.

I also test drove at Huggins and Vandergriff. Both were very accomodating. Huggins handed me the keys and let me and the wife go. Vandergriff did the same. I had purchased a car at Vandergriff before.

At Vandergriff, I drove both automatics and manual in both EX and DX. I purchased February 18, so they were still fairly new. The sales people knew less than I did about the E. I always get a kick out of hearing the sales people lie and/or show their ignorance about the product they are selling.

I would recommend Vandergriff Honda in Arlington. I got $500 off MSRP in February when they were still very hard to get. I also got that on an SOP, which are difficult to come by. Vandergriff also got me 3.9% for 60 months (not Honda finance), but only after I found 4.4% at my Bank. They originally offered me 7.9% (honda finance).

The one thing I do not like was the accessories they put on every car as soon as it arrives. Tint, VIN etching, and the protective film at the door edge. This added +/-$500. I would have had it tinted anyway and they computer cut the tint to fit well, but I don't care anything about the other two items.

So out the door, with window tint, mud flaps, tax, title, license, etc., I paid about $20,300. My payment is about $375. I did have a trade, so my taxes were minimal (the trade difference was less than $2000). I thought I received a fair value on my trade also. I dealt with Wanda Brown at Vandergriff. She is actually the online/internet sales manager.

E-mail her. Good Luck.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've gotten email responses so far from Lute Riley in Richardson, and Rusty Wallis near Mesquite.

Lute Riley - told me MSRP and 'my break even price' and I'm not sure if that included TTL and accessories or not. I'll probably follow up with them.

Rusty Wallis quoted me a price, without TTL, and then an individual price on each accessory I wanted - some of them marked up almost 100%. I'm not sure if that included installation or not.

I've contacted John Eagle before when I was looking at a CR-V and they weren't too prompt in following up. Now that I'm looking at an Element, I do have a contact name there (Reatha Haley) and I'll see what kind of dealing they want to do. I briefly looked at a Pilot (too much car for me, but quite nice) and the salesman there, *name removed*, was a wee bit smarmy for me.

I have no problems telling a dealer that they are dealing with a very informed buyer, competing against other dealers in the area, and out of the area. I have no problem going to Oklahoma, Texarkana, Waco, wherever I need to go to get a good price and the respect I'm owed as a customer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I didn't like my experience with Vandergriff Honda in Arlington.

Rusty Wallis in Mesquite was willing to work with me, but wouldn't commit to when they could get the car/color I wanted. (Talk to Val... he's great!)

Finally worked out a deal with Lute Riley in Richardson. Got $500 off for an "internet special" and another $500 off because it took a week for my car to come in from Austin. (Gibb Joseph was great as our sales guy!) Accessories are outrageously priced anywhere you go.

If you have question, feel free to e-mail me... [email protected]... and I can give you more info if you want it.

Mandy

·
Registered
183 Posts
I used Gillman Honda in Rosenburg (south of Houston), but they had my element shipped from north of Dallas. The salesman and manager I worked with there were great.

However, this was after run-arounds with two other dealers. We went in, told them what we wanted, told them the problems we'd had, and after looking at "the list" of what was arriving in the future, signed nothing unless a VIN number was on the form.

·
Registered
163 Posts
David McDavid's internet department is good. They will give you a quote and stick to it when you come in. No hiddens or added extras. Can speak for actually going in and getting a salesman. Lute Riley is bad in my opinion. If you go looking and give them your info they call you every day trying to get you in even after you tell them you already bought one. Vandergriff only had one on the lot when I went in to look so didn't even bother with them. If you are considering a lease you need to go to AutoFlex. A friend works there. Let them know I referred you if anyone goes there and I will split the $500 referral with you. They won't try to take you like a real car dealer. Those are my thoughts, hope they help a little. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in Mansfield and drove waaay out of my way to buy my S.O.P. 2WD Baby H2 at Frank Kent Honda on the extreme western edge of Ft. Worth. I bought a Civic EX from Vandergriff 2 years ago and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I met the Frank Kent Honda people at this years Ft. Worth new car show and they were quite friendly, promised me they wouldn't hassle me, and offered a $500 auto show discount (this was in February). I went to the dealership 2 weeks after the autoshow - true to their word, I never received one phone call from them asking me if I was ready to buy yet. Drove the E with my wife and made the purchase a few days later. Again, no follow-up phone calls between test drive and purchase. They left me and my wife alone to make up our own minds as promised. When I made the deal ($19,400 for SOP EX 2WD after the $500 discount), I didn't let them add any accessories to jack up the price, again no hassles from the dealer. The finance guy only asked once to add on extra warranty, when I said no, he let it go with no more pressure. An added bonus to Frank Kent is they are family owned, they are low/no pressure and they make you feel like you are in a comfortable small town dealership. They always have fresh hot Otis Spunkmeyer cookies available in the service department too.

Since the purchase, I have added keyless entry, side steps, mud guards, large armrest, cargo organizer and seatback bungees all purchase through H&A. Easy installation on all items and GREAT prices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm still finding the new owners for my present car. In searching for the a reasonable deal, I've found Doyle Pierce at Rusty Wallis Honda. He's been easy going and the last two weekends they've offered $1500 off in stock Elements (sounds like invoice to me!).

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought from John Eagle because they are only about a mile from where I live, but I suspect that Lute Riley would probably give the lowest price.

No matter which dealer you buy from, you're getting a really great car. My only recommendation is that you not buy any accessories from the dealer, unless of course money isn't an object for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just bought an E and a CRV last Saturday. Exceptional price & service. These 2 new Hondas are my 9th & 10th ones, and Bankston was by far the best experience. See Rebecca Agnew.

jr

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just closed a deal on a 04 SOP AWD EXS with John Eagle Honda and my purchase experience was fantastic. The sales managers name is Max Mediz and my E should arrive in about 2-3 weeks. I paid a little over 22K and they threw in a rear cargo mat. :p I can't wait!

·
Registered
1 Posts
:twisted:
I think David McDavid SUCKS! They were so rude to me. They offered me almost nothing for my trade and insulted me. The very next day I went to Lute Riley and bought my Element. Shop around, that's for sure. The only thing is that salesmen are totally slimy no matter where you go. I was stuck in Lute Riley for 8 hours haggling my deal...I hope I NEVER have to do that again! But I love my ELEMENT...they just need to make it easier to buy the frickin' car!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also have placed an order with John Eagle Honda. I delt with John Ingrham and was very impressed with their style. I was referred to John by Ed Wallace, the local auto talk show host who has a very interesting website: www.insideautomotive.com.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ordered my EXS AT AWD NBP Element from John Eagle Honda and it was built January 12, 2004. They suggested it would arrive in the first or second week in February.

Today they called to tell me it had arrived today! 6 miles on the OD.

Great experience with these people. They said it seems the Honda factory has has learned the method and benefit of faster delivery.

I take delivery on Saturday!

Thanks to all for the valuable information on this site!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry for the editorial errors. That's what can happen when you're 62 and excited!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know everyone has different experiences at dealerships. And every dealership has some idiot salespeople. We dealt with quite a few dealers when looking for our EXS AWD E. Neither Lute Riley or Bankston ever followed up with us. Maybe they weren't willing to do the work involved in a dealer trade since they did not have exactly what we wanted. Freeman Honda had what we wanted in an 03, and David McDavid in an 04. Both were willing to deal. I was surprised, though, that Freeman wouldn't deal a little more on an 03, and I was a little leary of McDavid because of some of the things I had heard. But David McDavid offered us an incredible deal. We worked with Alvin Webb, a sales manager, and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. I would highly reccommend Alvin to anyone. In our experience, everyone at David McDavid was knowledgeable, and professional.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my E at David McDavid 4 days ago.
Talked to the internet sales manager first and he gave me a quote.
I was then able to haggle the price with them a bit once I went in.
In the end, I came out with a 2WD EX AT for $17,500 after TTL.
I think that's pretty good since the MSRP on those is $19,700.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts