Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd post this because I've scoured the 'net for help figuring out my problem. Now that I've figured it out, thought it might help someone else who finds themself in a similar situation.
*** I'm writing this to get to my 'lessons learned': at the bottom of the post: read down!***

A few weeks ago my wife called while driving the car, "The check engine light is flashing, what should I do?"
"Pull over and turn the car off!"

I was thinking we had lost the oil pan!

When I got there, I checked the oil level, we're ok.

So what else makes the CEL flash/ blink?

I brought my code reader, multiple cylinder misfire, and the VTEC solenoid code P2646.

I traded cars and tried to drive it home, initially it seemed normal, but got worse and worse, rough/ stalling idle, and rough through all RPM, but I was able to drive it home.

Then I hit the internet to try to determine common problems with E's with these symptoms:
-Coil or spark plug
-Stretched Cam timing chain
-VTEC solenoid
-VTEC actuator
-Fuel injector problems
-Fuel delivery problems (Fuel pump, fuel filter)
-Cam position sensor
ETC.

When I started to work on it, now it wouldn't start. In fact it acts like it hardly wants to turn over. Great.

The flashing CEL meant either/ both extreme engine misfire or excessive fuel passing through the engine which could damage the catalytic converter.

Over the next three weeks I proceeded to-- in my spare time-- replace parts/ check for proper function all of these components, and continued to research what it could be as my efforts failed at every turn. And stupidly I erased all the codes/ didn't look at all the codes when it was running. (I erased when I replaced a coil to see if the code would reappear after the coil was replaced, but I didn't know how to work my reader properly and realize now there were other codes I didn't look at.)

Finally on Monday I checked the Mass Air Flow sensor. It was way out of spec: reading almost 4 volts with the engine off. *Lightbulb turns on* OOOOOH!
The MAF is telling the computer the engine is revved to 4k RPM when I'm trying to start the car, it is flooding.

The MAF didn't come up as a common problem, but it explains ALL of the symptoms. AND I didn't see a code/ there wasn't a code for the MAF because it only logues a code when the sensor fails completely whereas my sensor was working but giving false information.

I'll receive the part on Thursday and will update, but thought I'd post my lessons from this debacle in case it can help someone else.

LESSONS LEARNED:
1. Don't assume your problem is a common problem.
2. Own and know how to properly operate a code reader. Write down codes before you erase.
3. Don't assume codes tell the whole story: sometimes they are red-herrings.
4. Don't replace parts to fix the problem until you test the old part to verify it is the problem: "Don't throw parts at it with fingers crossed."
(Unless cost is no object, but in that case, have it towed and have a professional fix it.)
5. Diagnose starting with the most common problems and working toward more obscure/ difficult to check.
6. Verify the function of all sensors feeding information to the computer. Instinctively, one bad sensor seems like no big deal, but modern engines are entirely dependent on them! They are easy to check, easy and relatively cheap to replace.

BONUS LESSONS:
1. Use a magnetic tray for parts and tools: lost a socket and a fuel injector clip to the dark abyss next to my engine.
2. Don't over tighten your valve cover nut: stripped one out, and boy was it a pain to get off (copious use of Vice-grips and crow-bar.)
3. Use Genuine Honda parts: have read lots of reviews for off-brand parts that ended up being a major PIA (pain in a**) not worth the savings. BUT you can buy Genuine online for a discount over your dealership if you dig around online. Sometimes Amazon even has them, who knew?

If you are experiencing an engine not running right this is the sequence of diagnosis based on my research which I would use now:

1. Look at and write down any codes.
2. Verify spark at each cylinder.
3. Verify intake of air:
-air filter
-cam timing
-squirrel crawled into you intake duct and died?
4. Verify delivery of good fuel

** You might have spark, air, and fuel, BUT at the wrong timing for the engine**

5. Verify all sensors are functioning properly
-Crank position sensor
-Cam position sensor
-Mass Air Flow sensor "MAF sensor"
-Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor "MAP sensor"
-Oxygen sensor "O2 sensor"
-Air/Fuel ratio sensor

There are tons of YOUTUBE on all these subjects, get to it!

Did I miss anything?

Good luck!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts