Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading practically every thread on installing a hitch myself, I decided this was no big deal so yesterday I went to my local Uhaul and bought a shiny new black hitch with hardware for $135. Today I went to install it and there were none of the issues that other members have mentioned. No having to notch a hole to fit the head of a bolt through. No having to jam it up because it fit so tight. In fact I seem to have an opposite problem, mine seems loose.

The one I got has a flange welded on the end of each tube with two holes predrilled that match perfectly with the holes in the frame box. The flanges fit on the INSIDE of the vehicle frame. There are 4 long bolts that go all the way through and spacers that go inside the box of the frame. There is the standard u-bolt for the middle. My hitch went up easily and there was some slop so you can get the flange lined up with the holes and the spacer fits and then there is a large washer between the flange and the frame. It was easy to line up and push the bolts through and then put on the washer and nut on the other side of the flange and start tightening things up. I figured things would snug up but they didn't seem to as much as I felt comfortable with. So I un bolted everything and went to my hardware store and bought 4 more big washers to try to double up the washers between the flange and the frame so the gap between the flanges and the vehicle frame was less. Well I couldn't double up both sides because that was too tight so I doubled up the washers on one side and not the other. Everything seems real snug now, but I'm just wondering why nobody else has mentioned this issue. Also, do all the other hitches have the flange on the outside of the vehicle frame? Does it matter? Has anyone installed this version from Uhaul?

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I had my hitch put on by Uhaul (Arthritis attack + $30 for installation) and I recall that they ended up jacking up the rear end, sticking a couple of blocks under the ends of the hitch, and then letting the jacks down slowly just to get it to go in - it was THAT tight. It felt bad at first to spend the extra cash and have it done but after watching and checking later, I felt better again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
you got the right one. it appears that u haul changed the design to the hidden hitch / draw-tite method with the bolts through the frame with spacers. They used to mount on the outside with bolts fished through.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went to my local U-Haul and got it installed by them with the warranty for $135.00. I watched the guy install it and it looked easy but for the $30.00 intall fee I figured why not have him do it. Have already pulled my trailer and everything seems to be fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for the responses. So an FYI to anyone who hasn't bought a trailer hitch yet. The new style U-Haul hitch is easy to install! No fishing bolts at all. I do think they could improve the fit a tad by making it a 1/4 wider and changing the angle of the flange but overall now that it's all bolted down its solid!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hey thanks for the responses. So an FYI to anyone who hasn't bought a trailer hitch yet. The new style U-Haul hitch is easy to install! No fishing bolts at all. I do think they could improve the fit a tad by making it a 1/4 wider and changing the angle of the flange but overall now that it's all bolted down its solid!
It's the same hitch as the Hidden Hitch I have on mine. Yep just a little too narrow.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Uhaul used to sell a Valley brand hitch with their own label. That's the one that used the short bolts that had to be 'fished' into the frame rails. It appears that they switched to re badging the Hidden model. Previously Hidden just made a 1 1/4" hitch; now they have a 2". Both use the long spacers.

Both methods of dealing with boxy frame pieces are standard in the hitch industry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts