Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for a great forum.
I went to see and test drive an Element at the dealer yesterday. I am going to get one. Now I am at home daydreaming and costing out the accessories that I need, (BTW, having a problem with need vs. want) :wink:
Question: The Splash Guards.... I know what they are for but...
I am not sure whether to get them or not from the dealer. Or to get them at all... What do you all think? Did you get them?
What if I buy them aftermarket from H and A and install them myself? How hard would that be? Would there be any warranty issues with this? I would think not.
Thanks,

·
Registered
608 Posts
gyuris,

Well, I got splash guards. I had the dealer install them. I did not mind putting in things that did not involve drilling or poking holes in the Element, but that is pretty much where I drew the line.

The instructions are on line if you want to check them out on the H and A site. You may want to check it out before you make up your mind.

To me, at some point it is worth paying a few dollars to not have to worry about putting things on myself. Time is money, time is money.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Check out element-j's how-to website. He bought the splash guards and did not install them because they looked terrible on it. If you're really wanting them, though, maybe he'll make you a great deal on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the HandA website and all it takes is removing, placing the splash guards, and reinstalling the 3 self tapping screws at each wheel well. That's all. Anybody could do it. No drilling involved at all. So...I will do it myself, if it comes to that.

I was more interested in the practical value of the splash guards on this car. Are they really NEEDED on the Element? I had a Civic Wagon and the splashguards did not did not make a big difference. The aesthetics are not that important to me at this point.
Thanks,

A.T.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
element-j,

Hey, to each their own. :D

One of the nice things about the E is that you can customize it your own way. Add the options you want, and change things as you need to.

·
Registered
338 Posts
[quote:edd6ae36a3="element-j"]The splash guards I bought are on eBay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2403565792&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:MT:1

Auction ends tomorrow evening, 2/18.

But don't let my weird preferences influence you - everyone who has installed the splash guards seems to think they're pretty cool. Sheesh, I also removed the alloys wheels and put the steel ones on. I'm not kidding. No taste whatsoever.

e-j[/quote:edd6ae36a3]

Did you think they were cheap also - Element-j ? That comment you made about black licorice, I thought you were unhappy with the materials - not just the look.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, here's the deal. I bought them, took them out of the box and really did think they looked & felt like black licorice. I ran my fingernail down the inside (which everyone seems to be doing to their E's these days!) and, if you think the E's fenders are easily scratched, the splash guards are absolutely malleable. But I installed them anyway and they weren't even close to matching the plastic on the E and I just started thinking, "Why am installing more plastic to "protect" my plastic?" and took 'em off.

But I don't want to sound like I'm on some big crusade about Element splash guards. Absolutely everyone in the forums who has installed them seems to really like them so that's cool - I just prefer my E unguarded.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am having the dealer install them as a freebie. I have always wanted splashguards on my trucks just because I like the idea of reducing the dirt that sprays up. In any case, with the splashgyards so easy to install, I am sure that some after-market products will come out.

Iskie

·
Registered
608 Posts
The splash guards are in theory to help with snow, rain, and stones kicked up by the wheels. I have always had them on my trucks, and at this point don't even give it a second thought. I just get them.

Time is the best tell of what will work, and what won't. element-j may choose down the road to get an after market splash guard if he gets some damage, or his E may be find, and he maybe happy he did not spend the money.

I can't tell you, and won't till the facts are in.

I would say at best, if they don't work, according to some people, they like the look of them. Others don't. You go with what you want, what you like.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I gotr the splashguards, and I like the way they look. I can't say they work worth a damn, though. On the other hand, I have no idea how much worse the mud/salt/slush spatter on my doors would be if I didn't have them.

Carla

1 - 12 of 12 Posts