Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to how many people are replacing there VW's with Elements like myself. I had tons of problems with the VW and had to ditch her for a vehicle with a good reputation like Honda. It was a 2001 Jetta VR6 which I really did like except for all the trips to the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep... I'm replacing my 1996 Jetta GL with a Green EX 4wd

I loved my Jetta but got tired of the crap I've had to go through keeping it running.

Looking forward to getting my E but I have a long way to wait.
Mine won't be in until July/August.....

Doh!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am a huge VW fan even with all the issues. I have my E in addition to my '02 GTI 337--special 25th anniversary edition--only 1500 in the US. Another great car to drive. My E is the practical car and the VW is my little race car! :p

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought my E cause I could not wait till 2005 for the VW Microbus. I still want a Microbus.... I don't like hearing about VW's and??? mantainence. I love my E but I will want a Microbus. What will I do in 2005 :?:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Buy what you love. Love is about looking past the imperfections. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was thinking about the Microbus as well...but with the price of just the Eurovan with weekender package being way out of my price range...I'm sure the Microbus will be as well.

As for the E, I can't wait till June when it'll be sitting in my driveway. It was supposed to replace my Passat wagon (my second VW), but my partner's taking over the Passat (currently a Ford Taurus owner) and I get the E for driving to work and going camping everyother week or month.

I've also got an old 78 Camper Bus that I was going to restore and go camping in....but the last thing I want to do after work or the weekends is figure out what else on the bus needs fixing just to keep it on the road....so it'll probably go up for sale, or I'll keep till the new Microbus comes out and it's value goes up (like what happend to Beetles when then new one came out), then I'll either consider selling or send it out to someone else to restore for me......but for now, the E will be my new baby.

·
Registered
914 Posts
[quote:75823c4849="pedsflightrn"]I am a huge VW fan even with all the issues. I have my E in addition to my '02 GTI 337--special 25th anniversary edition--only 1500 in the US. Another great car to drive. My E is the practical car and the VW is my little race car! :p[/quote:75823c4849]

do you put super plus in your GTI? or will the super do?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I still have my '78 Westfalia Camper Bus... I must love big boxes on wheels, but I did buy the 4WD Element to be able to camp on the beach something I can't do with the VW!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought my 78 bus to go camping in and learn to work on aircooled engines. The bus broke down after a month of ownership which meant no camping....since no camping, no interest in aircooled engines. The month I did get to drive it.....I loved it!!!

Now it's a play gym for my nephew when he comes over. Pop the top and let him pretend he's camping.

As soon as the E comes, I'll probably push it to the street and slap a forsale sign on it....or push it to the side of the driveway and then maybe get interested in fixing it up. I'm thinking the E will be perfect for weekends hunting out junkyards for cheap bus parts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
migrated from a 93 eurovan.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I still own a 1980 VW BUS\\camper (westy)... Anyone intersted in buying it..
I loved driving it and camping in it but driving that thing through the mountains was kinda scarey at times becuase it is soooo underpowered. Never left me stranded tho, I'll giver that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In the seventies (says he, stroking his white beard) :wink: , I had two VW buses, both the old and the "new" model.

We named the "new" one "Fat Albert" after the Bill Cosby character (As in "Here come Fat Albert, Hee Hee Hee!) It took him a while to get going, but then, with that soft ride, he just seemed to "Hee Hee Hee" down the road.

Most of my driving in it was down the flat roads through the NJ Pine Barrens to the shore (Middle seat replace by a playpen - no kid's seats in those "frontier days!).

The though of possibly driving it in the mountains still gives me the shudders!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The GTI 337, definatly a sweet car, I love VW as well but I have to wait till they get their quality control back in order before I get another one. I do miss the German car feel. How about the new R32 AWD.

[quote:f082fbde01="pedsflightrn"]I am a huge VW fan even with all the issues. I have my E in addition to my '02 GTI 337--special 25th anniversary edition--only 1500 in the US. Another great car to drive. My E is the practical car and the VW is my little race car! :p[/quote:f082fbde01]

·
Registered
4 Posts
In December of 2001, I HAD TO HAVE a VW Cabrio.....what was I thinking! LOL

Anyway, I loved the little car, but not very practical for my purposes down the road...i.e. starting a family. Unless it isn't horribly wrong to toss teh kids in the back seat with the top down....just kidding....

Well, my husband and I are probably going to start down the road of becoming parents, and I HAD TO HAVE the E....so yes, The E replaced my VW......of course, my dear husband still has his 2002 VW Jetta.... :) :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
[quote:dad1778e0e="ShaneS"]How about the new R32 AWD.[/quote:dad1778e0e]

Anyone else kinda think 241HP in a Golf is a bit much? Maybe I'm just jealous cuz my V6 Passat only has 190HP. There is definitely a market link between the Element and VW - I've noticed alot of people on VWVortex and other VW forums have expressed interest. Admittedly, I've been insanely lucky, the V6 Passat is one of the only current VW models not to have major maintenance issues.

The Microbus is also in my sights, but it will have to go a few years in production before I'll think about it seriously. The Touareg is also pretty cool, and a real off-road performer.

Still, I'm looking forward to Honda reliability with our Element. But honestly, I'm pretty happy to be driving my 4-motion while she has fun in the E.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yup. 96 Passat wagon.
Oddly enough, the Element feels peppier with 160 hp vs. the 178 of the Passat. The car in general I was pretty happy with, drove great but the trips to the dealer were always $300, $700 and more! At least a couple times/year. I replaced the driver's side electric window regulator 4 times!!! WTF!...at 150 bucks/pop. Forget about working on it yourself, everything was proprietary. I had the transmission fluid changed by a third party Porsche guy, and the Santa Barbara dealer wouldn't tell him the fluid capacity to fill to... I had to take it into the dealer. It had 150k on it and the torque converter was going. The dealer said they wouldn't just change the torque converter but would have to change the whole transmission. $4500 minimum. The car's KBB value was only around $5k. The leather interior was flawless...I had lexoled it monthly and kept it either garaged or covered. Cosmetically it was beautiful, but I wouldn't buy another.
Love my Element!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sold my 2002 Beetle (Color Concept) when I got my Element. My wife's still driving her '99 Beetle, so we still have a VW in the family.

The only problem I experienced was a clear coat issue on the hood, that VW took care of. My wife's car had the popular 'window regulator' issue. She paid for it initially (out of warranty), but VW reimbursed all her costs.

All in all, our VW experiences are/were pretty good. Honda so far is meeting/exceeding them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Funny this should come up. Check my signature here ;-)

I have always thought the E was the modern day version of the microbus, but obviously with some major improvements performance wise. This is the main reason I bought it. I was actually kicking around the idea of getting another bus and keeping my Civic for my everyday ride, but once I drove the E..I was hooked.

All you folks have such great ideas about mods etc, that I am in the formulating stage of how to make the E that "back end" camper like the bus as well. The gentleman that came up with the PVC bed frame is a genious, and I have ideas about how to use that style for making closets and tables, etc.

The E is too new to me to start drilling holes in where they were not designed, so I think this can be done as a build the camper in in a few mins when you need it kind of thing.

That will be my winter project, for now..I am having too much fun taking the E out on the road!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For anyone who had to pay for those horrible window regulators in their late model VW's, I just recieved a letter the other day about a class action suit and I believe it goes beyond the expectation of the 7 year extended warranty of the regulators, possibly rental cars and all that crap.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts