Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
New owner of '03 GGM 4WD Auto. When I picked up the car the salesman handed me the envelope with the manual and finance papers in it. He said there was a survey inside and he asked me to give him 5 stars on all questions. I asked him if I could have some "toys" for doing so. He said that all the people that could authorize that had gone home for the day. Once I got home with the car, I went through the envelope and found no survey. What should I do? Did they keep my survey to fill out themselves?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The survey is conducted by American Honda and they usually call you to run through the list of questions and ask for your assessment of the dealership. I imagine Honda decided to do it that way to make sure the dealer wasn't able to directly manipulate the results.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ours was done right at the dealer's. We too were asked to give 5 stars, which we did. We also go another and much longer survey in the mail. We did not fill it out and so they sent it out to us again. I had read a post by a fellow who had given high marks on most everything in this second survey. He had it come back and bite him when he brought his E back to the dealer for a fix, the dealer quoted back to him his "everything is great" markings on that second survey. I don't believe that my dealer would do that but to be cautious I went middle of the road on most everything, just in case something went wrong later on.

ps

MY DOG IS BEST :D :) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
914 Posts
jnes said:
I had read a post by a fellow who had given high marks on most everything in this second survey. He had it come back and bite him when he brought his E back to the dealer for a fix, the dealer quoted back to him his "everything is great" markings on that second survey. I don't believe that my dealer would do that but to be cautious I went middle of the road on most everything, just in case something went wrong later on.
That sucks for that guy. My dealer said that anything less than 5 is a failing grade, and you kinda feel bad to have them "fail" even though they got like a 4 average or something.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Jesus Pete. Every time I hear about this survey with the 'please give me 5 stars on everything' I just get more and more annoyed.

With salespersons pressuring you for all 5s, then American Honda must know by now that they're getting sympathy surveys and not real results. This makes me impatient with the salesperson and Honda for bothering with a survey that's obviously baloney. I can't help how the survey is used against a seller if they don't get all 5s but if I'm being asked to rate something, I'm not going to give anything other than my unvarnished opinion. If I put my name on something, I don't treat it as baloney.

As for the guy getting bitten in the butt by "you gave all 5s - there must not be a problem" when asking for service - something like that would not sit well with this Hellcat and people would know about it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i was mighty annoyed when the salesman told us 3 times at the purchase to give all 5's and then called the next day to say the same thing. and then the day after, the sales manager called to say the same thing (and she got snitty with me when i told her that i couldn't guarantee that for her). then later that week i got a letter from the owner of the dealership.

i wish i could have just pestered my college profs into giving me straight A's.

anyhow, i plan on being honest whenever honda gets around to calling.

shawn

jnes - what kind of dog do you have?

·
Registered
273 Posts
>>>>I asked him if I could have some "toys" for doing so.<<<<<

i told my dealer the same thing,,, you want 5 stars and i want accessories... we walked away with mud flaps and a leather hood gaurd.... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, I gave my salesperson all 5s 'cause I think she deserved them, but yeah, it's really a stupid system.

Drew

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
We have yet to receive a phone survey or mail one.

We were told about the survey and the rating system, but were actually told by the dealership manager "Be Honest", and "If you think we deserve a 5 so be it, but if we don't deserve it let us know what we can do to change"

My husband and I were both blown away....once again we had received another reassurance that we bought from the right dealer.

I sure hope we get our survey soon....I do think that our salesman deserves all 5's because of his low pressure, easy to deal with attitude! THree Cheers for Steve Vincel Honda :lol:

·
Registered
653 Posts
No surveys here yet either...

Honda salespeople aren't the only ones who pull this underhanded and self-serving BS. The Dodge dealership where we bought our Grand Caravan about 5 years back did the same thing. Fortunately, we genuinely did love that dealership and thought that they merited the 5 star rating across the board.

But with regard to the Honda dealership, I'm still aggrivated that they stuck me with a salesman who had started work only 2 days prior to my first visit and knew much less about the E than I did. Even a month later, he still knew next to nothing about the it!! No point in doing a little homework to try to boost sales, eh? Heck, I never even got the pesky follow-up phone call from my first round with this jackass. I'm amazed that he admitted to me that he gave up a job as an EMT - an ambulance driver, for God's sake - to begin an exciting new career in automotive sales. Good grief, Charlie Brown!!

This was compunded by the sales manager becoming condescending and pissy with my wife while I was in the restroom. Had I not already sold myself on the vehicle and knew that I could get the price that I wanted for it, I would never have dealt with Performance Honda of Midland (Texas).

So, I love my Element, but I'll be giving the dealership low marks when/if the survey(s) materialize.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Survey ? who cares about some internal crap from Honda, Here's the money, gimme the car ! Honor the warranty ! Over . :roll: :twisted:

sorry couldn't help it..

·
Registered
540 Posts
[quote:0a9a4afbaf="rodaniel"]
This was compunded by the sales manager becoming condescending and pissy with my wife while I was in the restroom. Had I not already sold myself on the vehicle and knew that I could get the price that I wanted for it, I would never have dealt with Performance Honda of Midland (Texas).

So, I love my Element, but I'll be giving the dealership low marks when/if the survey(s) materialize.[/quote:0a9a4afbaf]

OOoh. Disrespecting the wife. No. Good.

::::Hellcat switches tail and hisses:::::

I guess I'm especially sensitive to this issue being a woman, but I like to think I'm fair-minded enough to be upset about a man being disrespected too.

I just don't know why the car-buying experience has to be so full of this sort of baloney. It can't be a positive thing for a seller, either. Why would anyone feel good about snarking at customers? If they're that frustrated with their job, if can't put themselves in the shoes of the purchaser, if they can't treat someone as they'd want to be treated, for Pete's sake - get another job.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well spoken Hellcat. As for the survey's, the dealers should not be giving paper surveys, unless it is their own survey to check and see how they are doing. Honda's surveys are done by phone, and they will try you until they reach you. Just take the time, answer honestly and if you feel pressured to give an answer you aren't comfortable with, just ask not to answer that question, or give your true answer.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hellcat...right on girlfriend!

I am a retail manager and I often think why should car buying be any different than buying a pair of shoes or piece of furniture. I hate having to hold out just to get the best possible price...then turn around and talk to someone on this board who went to the same dealer and got a better price with more options thrown in for free....I also despise that some salemen would only really speak to my husband....when in fact it was my car and I was the one who had done all the research.....plus while my husband is a full time student....I am the bread winner and the one ultimately making the car payments....I swear I was so angry at that condesending salesman that even if thay had offered a "deal" on the E I wouldn't have purchased their out of principal!

So much for womens lib when it comes to neanderthal car salesmen (not all just some.....please don't take this as I am bashing all salemen....becasue by no means am I)

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think perhaps some of these crappy dealerships should read some of the Ron Willingham books. Customers aren't obstacles in the way of your day - they're the only reason for the day.

My favorite place to do business is the little mom 'n pop dry cleaners about 3 blocks up the street. The employees all know and use my first name; they always remember that I prefer for them to remove the plastic bags; they don't ask for ID when I write a check; they always notice and ask about my wife when they don't see her waiting out in the E; and they're super friendly. End result: I tell everyone I can about that little dry cleaning shop. I tell people to say, "Rob sent me!"

Want to know the ironic thing? There's another cleaners about 5 blocks up the street (in the opposite direction) that's also quite quick and easy to get to - and they're less expensive. But when I first tried them out for about a year and a half, they never - not once - remembered my name. They'd ask to see my license each and every time I wrote a check, even though I live so close by. And they usually seemed "put out" by the fact that yet another bothersome customer had graced their door.

Customer service is an art.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow, now I remember why I keep cars for 10 years. I hate buying a new car. Yes, I too got the 5* plea from the salesmen saying that he would get no commission if anything less came in. We haven't heard from Honda in 3 weeks, but maybe they are one of those "unavailable" calls on the caller ID we keep rejecting during dinner.

I now have a 2000 Accord and the 2003 E. I don't plan to step on a car lot for the next 8 years at least.

·
Registered
540 Posts
[quote:f503cdf04d="Swan Quarter"]Wow, now I remember why I keep cars for 10 years. I hate buying a new car. Yes, I too got the 5* plea from the salesmen saying that he would get no commission if anything less came in. .[/quote:f503cdf04d]

"No commission"? Jesus With a Side of Hashbrowns!!!!!

That's the most manipulative one yet!

Pardon me while I go barf!

:evil:

·
Registered
160 Posts
After waiting in the dealership for over 2 hours on the night we went to pick up our E because "you have to see the finance manager", I was quite irritated. The salesman wanted us to come in to close the deal before the end of the month. Initially acted like he was doing us a favor by getting the car to us sooner until I called him on it. So when we got to the dealership there were multiple others there also closing the deal on the last day of the month. I in no uncertain terms expressed my unhappiness with having to wait for greater than 2 hours to speak with a finance manager when I was writing a check for the vehicle and did not intend on purchasing any of the their extras! I told him that we would NOT be giving all 5's on the survey. He admitted that the wait was not excusable, but of course offered nothing to remedy the situation. I think we would have left had we not really wanted the car. The only really good thing that came out of the wait was that instead of trading my Toyota truck in we ended up taking it home with us and selling it to my nephew instead. You should have seen their faces when I asked them where my truck was and could they go get it since we were going to take it home instead of trading it. I'm not sure that has happened with them before, they looked a little shocked! They already had the little sticker on my truck to put it on their used car lot in the morning. So to end the story Honda called for the survey and I was very honest with them. The dealer was great with some things and deserved 5's, but on other things I gave them the 1 they deserved.

·
Registered
540 Posts
[quote:2fb4181234="pedsflightrn"]After waiting in the dealership for over 2 hours on the night we went to pick up our E because "you have to see the finance manager", I was quite irritated. The salesman wanted us to come in to close the deal before the end of the month. Initially acted like he was doing us a favor by getting the car to us sooner until I called him on it. So when we got to the dealership there were multiple others there also closing the deal on the last day of the month. I in no uncertain terms expressed my unhappiness with having to wait for greater than 2 hours to speak with a finance manager when I was writing a check for the vehicle and did not intend on purchasing any of the their extras! ...<snip>... So to end the story Honda called for the survey and I was very honest with them. The dealer was great with some things and deserved 5's, but on other things I gave them the 1 they deserved.[/quote:2fb4181234]

Emphasis added.

Damn, that's rude of them.

I try to be as patient as I need to be to satisfy myself I'm not being unreasonable, or rude. I try not to take my problems out on others. But there comes a point where I am simply not going to be treated like crap.

Usually I just look at someone and say "Would you like being treated like this?"

That's about the clearest way to get the situation across to people. Well, the clearest way short of standing up on my chair and yelling "Who do I have to sleep with to get some service around this joint?"

:wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
[quote:02f31c9277="shawns"]i was mighty annoyed when the salesman told us 3 times at the purchase to give all 5's and then called the next day to say the same thing. and then the day after, the sales manager called to say the same thing (and she got snitty with me when i told her that i couldn't guarantee that for her). then later that week i got a letter from the owner of the dealership.

i wish i could have just pestered my college profs into giving me straight A's.

anyhow, i plan on being honest whenever honda gets around to calling.

shawn

jnes - what kind of dog do you have?[/quote:02f31c9277]

You might NOT hear from Honda. If your salesman percieves that you might give them less than the "5's" and their pay plan is tied to CSI or SSI numbers, they might set it up so that Honda wont call you.

A lot of dealerships do have the pay plans tied to the Customer Satisfaction survey scores, so dont blame a salesman if they ask you for a good grade.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts