Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello!

My 07 EX has 15k miles on it. I just took it in for an oil change and they said I needed to get my differential fluid change at $90. Isn't this a little too soon?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yes it is, on my 05 the owners manual states every 5 years. People on the forum have seen it last about 40-50K and then replaced it at that interval.

Read your owners manual and emphasize to the dealer that you want to follow the owners manual recommendations (not theirs, Exception above for the diff fluid).

Their recommendations are to pad their wallet.

·
Registered
616 Posts
When relying on the dealership or independent shop for maintenance your best friend is the owners manual.
Look at and know the expected maintenance intervals.
When I have queried the two Honda dealership service shops here in town on the recommended oil change interval one said 3k the other 5k. Both danced a little when I showed them the E owners manual. Quote "err aahhh we go by the extreme environment recommendations because this is Michigan".

In regards to the differential fluid. Some here have reported needing to do it as early as 15k. I needed to do mine at 25k. Will probably do it preventatively at that interval.

·
Registered
590 Posts
it's so easy to do and 2 qts of fluid @ $6 ea and such a simple task, do it yourself. there is an awesome DIY that Aprillia Guy has posted, check it out.

·
Registered
751 Posts
it's so easy to do and 2 qts of fluid @ $6 ea and such a simple task, do it yourself. there is an awesome DIY that Aprillia Guy has posted, check it out.
Easy for you and anyone that is willing the change their own oil, but not every interent forum poster wants to do this... (just saying, it looks easy to me too but, then I'm contemplating changing the timing belt on my wifes car).

·
Registered
590 Posts
i consider it easier than changing oil actually... only need a ratchet, no socket, and you can reuse the crush washers if you're unprepared.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Easy to do.

BTW- I think the reason the previous owner of my E traded it in at 42K was because the rear diff was grinding in corners! My wifes E was fine until until exactly 50K then the diff in hers started grinding- Fluid change with the new Dual Pump II fluid cured the problem. Took me 30 minutes and cost less than $20 following the great post from ApriliaGuy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts