Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
is there a difference between the Honda ATF Z1 transmission oil and other brands ATF oil ??
Yup.

1 is factory remended for use in Elements....one is not. ;-)

There is prolly a price difference too....and maybe a taste difference, but I haven't checked.

I've been happy w/ the Z1 for the past 115k miles.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
And I'm starting to notice several brands of ATF on the shelves of local auto parts stores that claim to be rated for Honda warranty as Z1. I don't believe in mixing brands of ATF and it's darned hard to get ALL of the old fluid out of an E.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Just try to get a replacement washer to go along with that tranny fluid @ your local parts place . You've got to go to honda anyway .......................

RUBY

Nice custom color , can you through up some pics Marco ? Can you get the Z1 in Holland ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you get the Z1 in Holland ?
4 liter ATF Z1 @ the local Honda dealer ...... $ 110,- dollar !!
other brands about $ 60,- dollar.
bub why is the Honda brand better ?? only because of the Honda sticker on it ?? is there realy a difference, or is everybody oem minded ??
i realy must know the answer, because my car mechanic means that Shell Donax TX is exact the same and even fine like the Z1 oil.
Shell Donax TX is also an automatic transmission oil.

Nice custom color , can you through up some pics Marco ?
next week i make some new pictures. i lowered the E, and ad some new 20" wheels.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The thing is, we have no clue what Honda put in it. All I know is that I can't just go to an auto parts store and buy fluid that will work with the Honda transmission. I've got to go to the Honda dealer. I'm not sure I'd want to risk the usefulness of my transmission over $50.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's not that i dont want to spend some more $ for good stuf, bud not every oem part is the best part. and when it's the same quality, why spend more for just a Honda sticker on the pakkage ?? bud it's my mechanic that says that shell Donax TX the same quality is as the oem atf. only difference ..... the pakkage.

·
Registered
510 Posts
yeah i use all the honda factory recommended fluids such as atf and power steering fluid and rear differential fluids..etc...except engine oil :lol:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the only answer i get here is that the most here use Honda fluids, bud no one can realy tell me why ?? what's the difference ?? Honda must buyed the fluids also somewhere at an oil company.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have never taken the time to research this fully and have not tried any of the aftermarket fluids that claim to work for ATF-Z1. Per Honda in a emergency you can top off with Dexron but do not use it otherwise, the transmission will not shift as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Trans Fluid

I agree with your concerns and Im not saying that the Honda Tranny fluid is any better.I dont think anyone on this forum likes paying the extra bucks for the fluid and I believe if we all could find a tranny fluid that wouldnt make our transmissions skip like a school girl we would use it. I get pissed every time its tranny fluid change time and I would love to find say a Mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid that would work well i would use it. Just my 02 cents.

·
Registered
873 Posts
the only answer i get here is that the most here use Honda fluids, bud no one can realy tell me why ?? what's the difference ?? Honda must buyed the fluids also somewhere at an oil company.
I'm with you on that one.I know the major 3 marine co's have citgo make thier oils to thier specs,thier specs that address thier problens,not the problems of other makes. lucas oil has come out with a new trans fluid that they say works beter than any other fluid,you might want to contact lucas oil for thier recomendation on the honda z1fluid. they are a major oil /oil products,fuel system caleners manufacture. they make it, they dont repackage or just stick thier name on it. they have very good products. I personaly would trust a $2.00 lucas oil, before I would trust a $20.00 mobile oil.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I stick with Honda ATF, Dual Pump II, Power Steering Fluid and Coolant. It's not like I have a fleet to maintain, so I go OEM on the tightly spec'd fluids.

Be glad you don't have a '09 plus Subaru!- The coolant is $28 per gallon and some of the other Subie fluids are just about as bad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
2003 Element 130,000 miles

Been using:
Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF trans fluid walmart
Pennzoil 20w-30 engine oil * walmart
Fram filters *change every 5k walmart
Autocraft Irridium plugs auto part store
Honda Dual Pump fluid (rear differential) no equiv avail honda

Had my element for about 80k miles and it runs like new.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts