Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the Rsx type s flywheel and the element flywheel? I want to replace my clutch with an aftermarket and I need to know if I can get an RSX clutch and mount it to the element flywheel?

thanks

art

·
Registered
24 Posts
RSX Clutch

The RSX clutch and the Element clutch are not interchangeable. However, the RSX flywheel will bolt to the Element crankshaft, allowing you to run an RSX clutch on the E. My vote is to replace the flywheel and clutch as a kit using a lightweight flywheel. This will allow the engine to spool up quicker (important with a turbo, no so much without) giving you a little quicker acceleration and definitely the ability to break the tire loose in at least 2 gears. It definitely made a difference when I made the change on mine. :D Check out E-bay for the hardware, should run about $300 for the kit. Have fun and let us know what your butt dyno thinks after the change.
Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
The RSX clutch and the Element clutch are not interchangeable. However, the RSX flywheel will bolt to the Element crankshaft, allowing you to run an RSX clutch on the E. My vote is to replace the flywheel and clutch as a kit using a lightweight flywheel. This will allow the engine to spool up quicker (important with a turbo, no so much without) giving you a little quicker acceleration and definitely the ability to break the tire loose in at least 2 gears. It definitely made a difference when I made the change on mine. :D Check out E-bay for the hardware, should run about $300 for the kit. Have fun and let us know what your butt dyno thinks after the change.
Steve
So the rsx type-s flywheel and clutch will work with out messing with the engines performance (in a bad way) or the balance of the motor? The reason I ask is because I read about someone putting a lightweight flywheel on a civic i think and the timing changed so much the motor went into limp mode.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The type S flywheel is slightly lighter and has the dowel pin spaced halfway between 3 of 6 clutch cover bolts. The E flywheel is more like a traditional Honda clutch with the dowel pins spaced about an inch away from 3 of the 6 clutch cover bolts.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If anything a light flywheel is better for NA motor than turbo, but there are benefits to all.

I read about someone putting a lightweight flywheel on a civic i think and the timing changed so much the motor went into limp mode.
Flywheel bolts to one end of the crank & timing belt is on the other end, the only thing the flywheel impacts is the clutch and the starter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The surface area of the flywheel were smaller on the element than my 08 SI flywheel.

Also I think the clutch is smaller on the RSX.

And just because it's a lighter weight flywheel doesn't mean it's better. You lose inertial energy when you change to a lighter flywheel. On a lighter cars it would be beneficial.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts