Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post =) I've been thinking about getting an Element, actually, I'm done thinking, I just need to go out and get it. They have a lot of 03's to 06's that are pretty affordable, and then on the high end, i've seen a few 07's and 08's. The main reason I'm getting it is because I'm a musician (or at least have the equipment of a musician) and having all that space in the back is just magical, so I'm trying to find out what the significant differences are. Obviously the newer the better but I'd like to know what huge modifications were made say between the 06 and the 08. Is there some kind of chart or something?

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I know that 07 they all changed on the intake so you have the MAF sensor to deall with if you are trying to replace the air intake. Most of the other differences have been cosmetic like the body colored panels on the newer ex's and such. all in all the truck hasnt changed that significantly over they years.

·
Registered
127 Posts
'06

I tell you I think the '06 is the most solid E for many reasons. I have felt that at the end of a model platform was the most reliable model. For example, issues like brakes, windshields, heater, radio, seatbelts. etc. have all been reworked to over come the problems. This site has proven my theory. '07 had some changes not all for the better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As a fellow owner of musical gear I can tell you that this thing'll haul it!

Without having the back seats raised two accoustic guitars in hard cases and two 15-30W (Blues Jr sized) amps fit perfectly (The guitars fit in the center, from head rest to head rest perfect fit stood upright).

Seats raised I've seen photos of entire drum kits inside.

Good luck findin an E!

Oi!
Tom

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Try to find an 07' or newer if you plan on getting an automatic, that's when they switched from a four speed to five speed.
If you're looking to buy a stick shift then get the first one you find since they are mighty hard to find.
No matter what year, 4wd or 2wd, auto or stick, galapagos green or a lesser color they all have the same groovy cargo capacity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tell you I think the '06 is the most solid E for many reasons. I have felt that at the end of a model platform was the most reliable model. For example, issues like brakes, windshields, heater, radio, seatbelts. etc. have all been reworked to over come the problems. This site has proven my theory. '07 had some changes not all for the better.
2006 models are in big demand!

Starting with the 2007 models is when they lowered the chasis closer to the ground. These models don't fair as well in bad weather and on bad roads.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Starting with the 2007 models is when they lowered the chasis closer to the ground. These models don't fair as well in bad weather and on bad roads.
Sounds like you're talking about the SC, introduced in MY2007. The "regular" (DX, EX) Element didn't change in that respect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2009 SC specs versus 'non-SC'

Sounds like you're talking about the SC, introduced in MY2007. The "regular" (DX, EX) Element didn't change in that respect.
RamblerDan - any ideas on where I can see 'non-marketing' description of the differences between the SC and the base models ? I am looking for more detail on specific suspension differences (springs, rates, shocks, anti-roll bars, etc.), motor/trans (if any differences), not so much about the visuals.....
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The SC models are FWD only, ride about 1.5 inches lower to the ground, come with 18 inch aluminum wheels and different interior and exterior trim. They are mechanically identical to the corresponding year EX model except for some suspension components like sway bars and bushings.

On the '03-'06 vs. the '07 and up- I won't buy an '07 plus due to the seat mounted seatbelts. They do not fit my long/wide torso at all. Also, if you want a stick-the '07's start the drive-by-wire throttle which is less than ideal for manual transmissions.

Seeing your location-I'd stay away from the SC or any FWD only Element. Canada in AWD territory. Fitted with proper tires, and AWD E goes like a little snow cat.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
any ideas on where I can see 'non-marketing' description of the differences between the SC and the base models ? I am looking for more detail on specific suspension differences (springs, rates, shocks, anti-roll bars, etc.), motor/trans (if any differences), not so much about the visuals.....
There's lots of info on the Honda used car site, more than colors and such. Still, I don't know where highly specific tech info such as you're seeking would be published.

·
Registered
242 Posts
RamblerDan - any ideas on where I can see 'non-marketing' description of the differences between the SC and the base models ? I am looking for more detail on specific suspension differences (springs, rates, shocks, anti-roll bars, etc.), motor/trans (if any differences), not so much about the visuals.....
Thanks.
This sounds like a good idea if there isn't a more comprehensive list on here already. If i get some time this weekend i'll see about getting a lit together.

The Honda Mechanics would be the best source for the info though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2007 was the first year with the belts integrated onto the seat. AND side curtain airbags - A BIG improvement in my book!

I really like the integrated seatbelts. They are a much better design concept. (See what the high-end cars do...) and they also free-up the door for entry/exit.

I am 6'1 and an ex-rugby player. I am not a 'small' guy, but I do not 'overflow' my seat...

2008 is the last year with the sunroof. Another desirable feature for many of us.

Engine is essentially the same. The SC has a 'street' susension - not available in AWD.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2007 was the first year with the belts integrated onto the seat. AND side curtain airbags - A BIG improvement in my book!

I really like the integrated seatbelts. They are a much better design concept. (See what the high-end cars do...) and they also free-up the door for entry/exit.

I am 6'1 and an ex-rugby player. I am not a 'small' guy, but I do not 'overflow' my seat...

2008 is the last year with the sunroof. Another desirable feature for many of us.

Engine is essentially the same. The SC has a 'street' susension - not available in AWD.
I did not know that. I have a 2004. Why would they have gotten rid of the sunroof? it was a real nice feature, I would have put a sunroof in the front as well if I was Honda

1 - 20 of 26 Posts