Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed there seem to be a few differences in the Canadian version of the "E". Notably:

* Our DX has a radio system
* We call the EX the Y-Series
* Our Y-Series does not have the rear power port

Anyone else noted any other differences yet? I think we have a block heater available which I have not seen as an option in the States.

In terms of availability, I have been told that the 5-speed is a rare bird in Canada. All of the dealers I have spoken to are getting automatic trannies. As of my clients has a wife who owrks at Honda Canada, I hope to get some scoop on "E" availability over the next few days.

Iskie

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm interested in the E. I live in Toronto and have visited a few dealers in the past weeks, E's in general are difficult to find! We were lucky enough to test drive the only one on the lot and that too was sold.
I'm not in any rush to buy one, but I visit these sites everyday gathering info to be best informed when I do make a decison. My only concern is the amount of plastic. Not the fact that it may scratch, after all I'd rather have a piece of plastic scratch than a painted metal panel that will rust, no, it's the change in design that I'm sure Honda will do. They will surely reduce the panel plastic and maybe go as far as to color match the rest. I don't want a dated looking new vehicle :?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The salesman at the Dixie Automanll said they had a green EX 4WD as of last Saturday. It was ordered - the client they ordered it for said they would not take it until April. If it's still there, you may be able to get it quickly.

Iskie

·
Registered
608 Posts
I seem to remember seeing somewhere that the canadian version has day time running lights, as well as the obvious KPH insted of MPH.

·
Registered
164 Posts
[quote:f771ed209c="RML"]I seem to remember seeing somewhere that the canadian version has day time running lights, as well as the obvious KPH insted of MPH.[/quote:f771ed209c]

Yes, all vehicles sold in Canada must have Daytime running lights. I can't understand why the US does no do the same, it really does help.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am sure it does. The insurance companies are also asking about it. Does your new car come with......

I wish they did come, or at least made it an option on the Element.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've got a black awd y package with 3000kms already (picked it up jan 24), thule rack is $345, beats $422 for the Honda rack which by the way is the same as the new style crv rack. rear side doors are sticky and cause interior light to stay on, everything else is great.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I though the Y did not have the rear outlet as it was listed as and option. Poking around tonigh I discovered it did have one and it works. My dad SOP also has the outlet. go figure

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you do live in Canada and have an E - how does it drive on all that ice? I've had a bad expierience thus far driving on ice with mine.
-pdub

·
Registered
894 Posts
Bonheadz:

Very interesting regarding the rear power port. Kick me for not having looked this past weekend at the show. The dealer told me it did not have one, and offered it to me as a "free" accessory. Ah well.

Pdub:

I don't have mine yet. I have heard that the AWD does better than many other 4WD vehicles. Reports say that the 2WD drive handles well also.

Iskie

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
This past weekend I did some highway driving and was on some back roads. Lots of ice and snow. Tested the ABS and loved it, not as grabby as earlier models. The AWD was also great. I was a little more confident then my past 4x4 because the computer does the thinking. That being said, AWD and 4x4 does not mean you can go racing down icy roads. In snow storms here, you will see people in SUV flying down the highway with the logic that "I have 4x4 I am invincible" AWD does not mean you can stop on ice. ABS helps but you still need to go slow.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Another difference: The US windshield washer tank holds 2.5 quarts, the Canadian tank holds 4.5 quarts.

There is a low fluid indicator light on the Canadian models as well.

Anyone spot any other differences?

·
Registered
125 Posts
[quote:88aff01404="X2E"]E's in general are difficult to find! We were lucky enough to test drive the only one on the lot and that too was sold.[/quote:88aff01404]

You should come to Brantford. They have three Elements just sitting there for people to oggle and poke around in.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think I'll stay with the U.S. version.....
Up north cars are...well....NOT U.S......
Bigger washer bottle....adds more weight= BAD
Day time driving lights....wears on the battery= BAD
Few 5 speeds...takes the fun out of rowing your own gears= BAD
Block heater....if it's that cold forget it= BAD
Livin' cross the border? Just say NO and move south!!!!
Just my $0.02.
djc

·
Registered
164 Posts
[quote:f0ef99bd38="djc"]I think I'll stay with the U.S. version.....
Up north cars are...well....NOT U.S......
Bigger washer bottle....adds more weight= BAD
Day time driving lights....wears on the battery= BAD
Few 5 speeds...takes the fun out of rowing your own gears= BAD
Block heater....if it's that cold forget it= BAD
Livin' cross the border? Just say NO and move south!!!!
Just my $0.02.
djc[/quote:f0ef99bd38]

I don't believe anyone asked you to buy a Canadian model, and can you explain how exactly the DRL wear out the battery :roll:
I can't see how larger fluid capacity (winter driving), DRL (safety feature), or a block heater (potential engine saver) can ever be a bad thing.

Your $0.02 is just that , and still not worth very much.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I was tempted djc's post as the moderator. It certainly did not make much sense, and really was not welcome. Let's get back to discussing what matters, in this thread, what's different between the US model and the Canadian model.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Some of us Yanks could make good use of a larger windshield washer reservoir. I suppose it would fit. . .

And, yes, I like the daytime running lights. GM cars have this in US versions. With a bit of detective work, we may find that all we have to do is add a relay or some such. I had a Volvo long ago on which I enabled a European feature that way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is that block heater a dealer installed option?

I live in Minnesota, and some cars around here do have block heaters. In Rochester MN there are parking garages with electric outlets that operate like a parking meter. Put in money for the amount of time you want juice, and plug it in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts