Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was digging around under the hood with a brand new SRI waiting to be installed and was approached by my mom wondering what I was doing. I explained it to her and she proceeded to tell me it was a bad idea because of my lack of mechanical knowledge and i would inevitably destroy the engine. Now my dad and I both share the vehicle and he and I had determined it would be an alright idea, but in the spirit of keeping our matriarch happy i have scrubbed plans to do an SRI, have in fact returned the SRI and now still wish to eek some more power of my beloved E. One idea I have which would by sly because she would never notice would be to remove the resonator box and simply attach a 3" bendable air tube to its port in the air box, thus allowing for a more direct flow of air to the air box and allowing me to place the intake further from the engine. Does anyone have history with this or an idea as to whether or not this would work? I have a mechanic friend who says that it might actually be a better choice than the SRI because I can still utilize the stock air box and filter which are in fact manufactured very well. If that doesn't work I guess it'll be back to screwing with motorcycles for me....

·
Registered
657 Posts
Your mom worries too much. If you can't install an SRI then you definitely shouldn't be working on motorcycles either :D (I'm sure you can install an SRI.) There is nothing to ruin by putting one on. You will be making your car run better. The reason the car didn't come with one is because they are a little louder - not by much, but enough to keep Honda from selling it to everyone. It will make you car sound better. (which could scare your mom.) With any mechanical project there will be some issues to resolve, but it just makes you a better mechanic next time.

Now go get that SRI back and put it on! (You can do what you are asking about, but it won't be quite as good.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yeah I told her that if I could take apart the engine of my motorcycle and put it back together I can install an intake. Maybe i'll bring it up to my firehouse and just do it there and not tell her. See what she says...:D

·
Registered
556 Posts
i installed mine with out my mom knowing and she found out after driving it to vegas she wasnt that mad actuallly surprised i did it my self.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My mom always used to try that with my camaro, but I never listened. I took her for a ride in it a couple of years back and scared the heck out of her, it was great. I cant wait until my new motor is done, gonna take her for another ride, gonna have 600+ hp, but probably wont be finished until next spring, gonna play with the box for this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts