Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a ding bar (not sure if thats what its called, but its the piece of rubber on the side of the body to keep from other doors dinging the vehicle). Just worried - there's nothing to prevent other car doors from banging my Element!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not yet. It's generally called doorside molding and can be purchased at any reputable auto parts dealer in a roll backed by self-adhesive tape. I plan to attach some to my blue Element--Stubbe.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Don't have dings because I park 8 miles away from everything. I scout around for end spots, secluded spots, wide spots, spots uphill from carts, faraway spots, solo spots, against wall spots, next to handicap spots, parallel parking spots and so on. I have to stop this and live normally. :x

I have bought those expensive rocker panels (online savings of course)but they are not enough. I am going to get the CRV side moldings and tape them on. Clips have to come off. The front fits but the rear ones need a little trimming. Then I am going to paint them all body color SOP. What do think and how far should I put them above the ground? :?:

I am not really happy with the aftermarket stuff I have seen and I think it is a little hard to paint vinyl.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The doors on the E are dings just waiting to happen. I bought some $2.00 rectagular magnets. I found a 5' piece of light blue hard foam insulation (about 1.5 " thick). I cut two 1.5"x1.5"x5' pieces. It cut easily and cleanly with an exacto blade.

Then I cut out inserts for the magnets on one side of each strip (about a foot in from each end). I hold the magnets in place with a few rounds of electrition's tape, then I covered the whole thing with black cloth duck tape.

Every time I park in a questionable spot, I deploy the ding sticks. They attach with a very pleasing thonk. It took literally 20 minutes to make them. I swear they look like they almost belong there and they cost nothing, so if some smart alec swipes em I'll just make another...oh yeah, I'm sure I could drive without losing them, but since they go right across the door seam, you won't forget to remove them...

I'd be glad to send in a pic if someone could post it...Lane

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:559b761b4c="ropedart.1"]Don't have dings because I park 8 miles away from everything. I scout around for end spots, secluded spots, wide spots, spots uphill from carts, faraway spots, solo spots, against wall spots, next to handicap spots, parallel parking spots and so on. I have to stop this and live normally. :x [/quote:559b761b4c]

Glad to see I have company!

·
Registered
82 Posts
fastlane, can you post a pic? i'd love to see it. i'm disabled so i usually park in handicap parking--the only benefit. but evey now and then, it's a bad day for the handicapped and i park in a regular spot--yes, miles from anything, up hills, etc. it makes life more difficult. so i'd like to try your method.

if you can't post, you can always post pix on the other site.

can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Please, there is no need to go to any other Honda site. I have an outstanding offer to everyone to host pictures from my ISP website accounts. I still have room to spare.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ooohh! that's good to know!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also worry about door dings and my wife was beginning to think I was the only one this twisted. It's not just fear of a dent, it's an aesthetic or artistic appreciation for keeping something unspoiled. There's nothing worse than a beautiful ride with a "look at me" dent thanks to inconsiderate people. In my case I've made up 1" pipe insulation with a liner and a bungie cord through it. I can wrap 1 around each door if I can't find a safe spot to park. In fact, I felt a bit silly but I used them during my first oil change (the dealerships are the worst places and many mechanics are not at all worried about scratching the paint etc.. let's face it, todays' paints scratch way too easy). I actually saw the Honda serviceman bonk my door on the hoist frame. And my pipe insulation gimmick saved my door! I'm looking for the market to offer magnet bars that look more like they belong, but will try to invent my own. Nice to see I've got some company though. :wink:

·
Registered
22 Posts
[quote:dd72666eb2="fastlane"]The doors on the E are dings just waiting to happen. I bought some $2.00 rectagular magnets. I found a 5' piece of light blue hard foam insulation (about 1.5 " thick). I cut two 1.5"x1.5"x5' pieces. It cut easily and cleanly with an exacto blade.

Then I cut out inserts for the magnets on one side of each strip (about a foot in from each end). I hold the magnets in place with a few rounds of electrition's tape, then I covered the whole thing with black cloth duck tape.

Every time I park in a questionable spot, I deploy the ding sticks. They attach with a very pleasing thonk. It took literally 20 minutes to make them. I swear they look like they almost belong there and they cost nothing, so if some smart alec swipes em I'll just make another...oh yeah, I'm sure I could drive without losing them, but since they go right across the door seam, you won't forget to remove them...

I'd be glad to send in a pic if someone could post it...Lane[/quote:dd72666eb2]

That is SUCH a cool idea. I'm gonna do it. It will give me something to keep my mind busy while i wait for my AWD EX GG 5speed to come in.

B

·
Registered
957 Posts
Just be careful, as someone who used to be in the sign business - I used to sell magnetic signs for use on truck doors and such. I always made my cusomers sign a disclaimer releasing my business from any responsibility regarding the use of these.

Any type of magnetic material has the ability to cause minor scratches on a car's paint surface. These scratches are not apparent in the beginning but over time and use develop into a haze that can be difficult and/or costly to repair, especially on darker colors.

·
Registered
32 Posts
emass, that's true, but I wound several layers of electrician's tape over the magnets and then 2" wide cloth tape over that. I think as long as you don't move them around once they're attached and always apply and remove by holding the strip at the magnets, I'll take minor abbrasions (that could be buffed out) over a ding any day...I'm washing the car and I'll shoot some photos and post them today....Lane

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have spent so much time parking miles away from any other car or shopping cart or anything that could possibily ding my Es doors that I am ding free, but my hood has a ding/dent and paint scuff from a rock or something. ARG! Time to break out the touch-up paint!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so do you guys think body side molding would look stupid? I'm thinking of installing black molding (my E is black) along the doors, about the height of the door handles. I'm so afraid to do something permanent without really knowing how its gonna look.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:8e4b116f2b="debiqny"]so do you guys think body side molding would look stupid? I'm thinking of installing black molding (my E is black) along the doors, about the height of the door handles. I'm so afraid to do something permanent without really knowing how its gonna look.[/quote:8e4b116f2b]

I dont think I would do the molding at that height - I would do a 1 to 2 inch shiny black molding at the bottom of the door - like the factory option - or I would do it about 6 to 8 inches up from there.

You can buy that type of molding from auto body supply stores like this one...
http://www.customautotrim.com/products/moldings/body_1_1eights.htm

This one is nice:

Use this stuff to attach it to your E...

·
Registered
32 Posts
take alook at the back door of most cars, they are usually shaped to accomidate the wheel well and comes to a point just below they're door handle. Unfortunately, they're all different heights, when one of those cute little kids wings that baby open, that 1/4" permanent molding is unlikely to line up and I question how much it will absorb the impact. With my system, you can literally set the ding stick to the height of the door of the car next to you, and because the foam is reletively soft (you can dig your finger into it) it really will absorb a pretty nasty hit. I sent a jpeg to isketerol, hopefully he can post it...Lane

·
Registered
540 Posts
Once again, Element owners come up with amazing and yet simple inventions to challenges that come with owning an E.

Skylight shades, ding guards, cargo mats, fabulous stereo systems - if it can be done to improve an Element - one of us has done it.

We rock! 8)

At the first annual EOC meet and rally (when and where that will be we don't know yet but it's got to happen!) we'll have to all bring our little inventions for sale and swap.

Hmmm, that means I'll have to come up with something more inventive than the yoga/pilates mat for the cargo area. :roll:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts