Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about a year ago I bought a set of goodyear fortega tires. Not the triple treads but the run silent types. Wow what noise! Sounds like I have snow tires on all the time. Since most of my driving is 30 mile trips one way on the turnpike, I want something way quieter. Anybody got any suggestions? I'm fed up and going to switch them out.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sorry to hear rdegood. There are many forums around here dedicated to tires. You should look around them so you can find a tire that will be a good fit.
That said if you are looking for a good Light Truck (L/T) tire with a mud and snow type tread I can quickly suggest the Yokohama Geolanders, General Grabbers or the Michelin LTX M/S's. I personally like the Michelin's for their ride, handling, wear and snow and ice traction. Though on some sections of highway they can have a bit of road noise.
Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Come to California. EVERY car is noisy on the highway. Some of the newer highways are a bit quieter, but the asphalt is what shrieks inside the car.

·
Registered
831 Posts
We wanted a tire that was quieter than the OEM tires and was good in the rain. After a lot of looking we picked the General Grabber HTS 225-70-16. We have been very happy with these tire. They are notably quieter that the Wrangler tires and they handle very well in rain from just wet streets to 2 + inch a hour down pours.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do not under any circumstances go to a Uniroyal tiger paw. I put these on my E a few years ago and have been Uni"royaly" unhappy. Financial considerations kept me from simply chucking them and going to something else. They have really reached their wear limit, and I have been researching tires for a few weeks now.

Seems to be no universal agreement on one specific tire. I was considering going to the same tire you had because of its "supposed" quiet ride. Now I am simply thinking of going to one of the least expensive options available. Tire rack has a nice selection of tires in all price ranges.

Leaning toward the Avon Rangers or the one made by General tire. They both cost around 70 bucks a tire and a few people have backed both of them on this site. At that cost, plus shipping, and installation, you can get a new set of tires for around 400 bucks.

Anything has to be better than these Uniroyals. Your experience seems confirm my suspicion that more money does not necessarily correlate to less noise. Plan to order them this week. Will keep all posted on my experience.

Dave

·
Registered
727 Posts
First off, the after my crappy relationship with Badyears I went to the Yokohama Geolanders on my daughter's AWD Element, my AWD Element and on the same day, on my recommendation, my friend put the Geolanders on his 2WD. The noise is about the same as the Badyears were when they were new and have not increased noise levels over the 25k miles on my E, 50k miles on the kid's E and about 10k miles on my buddy's E. The other plus about the Geolanders still handle well, get good traction in all situations and do well in hard braking situations even after 50k miles! My kid gets her tires rotated every 10k miles (5k Mobil One oil changes too!) and alignments every 15-20k miles. Those tire shops don't even try to suggest that she needs new tires because they are in such good shape!

Secondly, I have both rubber mats (aftermarket) and Honda carpet kit in my E. My daughter has the thick Honda floor mats on hers while my buddy only has the stock plastic floors. The cars with the mats and or carpet kits are noticalby quieter than the as delivered stock floors.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I looked up the tires of the OP on Tirerack. According to the owner reviews there weren't that bad, with an average score of something like 8.6 or 8.8. Only a few tires were better - within the highway allseason category.

I also looked a tests done by Tirerack itself. There weren't any for this specific model, but looking at other tires, there aren't significant differences. I believe the General HTS does well, as does a Michelin model, but neither were head and shoulders above the alternatives.

Consumer reports also rates tires by noise level, presumably measured with a meter, not driver impression. We used to discuss their tests on this forum, but I have seen any recent discussions.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My husband has the Fortera on his element and has the same complaint. Noisy. He put the Nokians on my element and they are perfect.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tire noise - gone

:DJust to let all of you who replied know, I just replaced the Goodyear Silent armors with BFG long Trail T/A. It's so quiet inside I can hear my artificial heart valve click away. The difference is incredible! the choise was down the these and the khumo's. I opted for the better winter traction. Tire Rack really helped. I bought them from a Tire Rack Mounter. They gave me $200 trade in and a $70 rebate. Even without the trade and rebate they were still lower than Tire Rack and I didn't have to schlep around the new ones and monkey with shipping. All told $330 mounted, balanced, road hazard, stems, and nitro. all is well.

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it!

Now to change the plugs and the cabin air filters

RdG

·
Registered
24 Posts
BFG Long Trail T/A Tour

Just bought these BFGs today at Costco in California @ 102.32 + 14 m&b less $70 off coupon. I'm quite leery after driving on Michelins for the last 10 years or so, but the cost difference was just too great this time (with my oldest transferring to university). Believe me, I'm a big Michie fan and I wanted the Michelin MS LTX but they were just too expensive at $166 + $14 m&b....even with the $70 off coupon. I've seen a few bad reviews on the BFGs on other sites...I hope they are isolated problems. I have to say, so far (about 20 miles...haha) they have been remarkably quiet and responsive. I mostly drive pavement; only light off road plus winter conditions during ski season, so we'll see. The commute back & forth to work next week will be the real test.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I had the BFG Long Trail T/A's briefly and traded them after about 2 weeks. They were certainly quiet, and they're very long-wearing, but I felt they had ZERO wet traction and would slip all the wheels when starting out in the rain. After a lot of talking and looking it seems like they were designed for heavier pickups and SUV's and not for something light and "airy" like the E.

But if it works for you, then I'm happy for the both of you :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do not under any circumstances go to a Uniroyal tiger paw. I put these on my E a few years ago and have been Uni"royaly" unhappy. Financial considerations kept me from simply chucking them and going to something else. They have really reached their wear limit, and I have been researching tires for a few weeks now.

Seems to be no universal agreement on one specific tire. I was considering going to the same tire you had because of its "supposed" quiet ride. Now I am simply thinking of going to one of the least expensive options available. Tire rack has a nice selection of tires in all price ranges.

Leaning toward the Avon Rangers or the one made by General tire. They both cost around 70 bucks a tire and a few people have backed both of them on this site. At that cost, plus shipping, and installation, you can get a new set of tires for around 400 bucks.

Anything has to be better than these Uniroyals. Your experience seems confirm my suspicion that more money does not necessarily correlate to less noise. Plan to order them this week. Will keep all posted on my experience.

Dave
What do you find wrong with Uniroyal TP? I've got them and they're quieter than the OEMs I replaced.

·
Registered
662 Posts
:DJust to let all of you who replied know, I just replaced the Goodyear Silent armors with BFG long Trail T/A. It's so quiet inside I can hear my artificial heart valve click away. The difference is incredible! the choise was down the these and the khumo's. I opted for the better winter traction. Tire Rack really helped. I bought them from a Tire Rack Mounter. They gave me $200 trade in and a $70 rebate. Even without the trade and rebate they were still lower than Tire Rack and I didn't have to schlep around the new ones and monkey with shipping. All told $330 mounted, balanced, road hazard, stems, and nitro. all is well.

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it!RdG

I'm curious about this trade in thing. Are my, on closer inspection, 1/2 worn Michelin Pilots worth something to someone?

I'm ready to make fishing reefs out of these. We went from being very happy with them to, as wear increased, not being able to stand to ride in the car.

The last trip we made to Panama City I wound up putting ear plugs in my ears on the way back. It sounds like a 4WD truck on mudders, inside. On wet roads it is just fine.

Twi, have you personally experienced the quietness of the WRG2's? :confused:

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nope, I have WR-SUV's right now, which are very quiet. The WRG2-SUV's will be my next set. But why would you want them in FL? Expecting major climate change in the near future? :lol:

I'm just looking for anything quiet so we don't have to trade the thing in----'cause if I don't get it fixed soon, that will be the next request I hear.

All we need here is wet traction and touring quietness.

I am expecting a snow in July in the future, though (climate change and all.) :D

Update: Just did some investigating-----Michelin rubber compound appears to be notorious for developing road noise from improper alignment wear patterns.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts