Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of talk about soft panels and I agree the interior plastic is soft. We have had our EX since 1/11/03. We are gentle on our cars and the one time we used it to haul sand (in buckets) the inside panel to the tailgate scratched.

However, I have an even more pressing issue. On the drivers side only, my panels are discoloring. It looks like wax build up on the plastic material, however, we have applied nothing to the exterior since purchase other than going through the "you-do-it" car washes. We live in New England and yes there is road salt. However, all the other panels are fine.

I called our dealership and was told by a detailer to try glass cleaner and an upholsestory brush and gently wash a small area. If that did not work to use "Simply Green". I voiced my concern that "Simply Green" might be too rugged and was assured if something went wrong it would not harm my warranttee.
I have not dared to try it yet.

Has anyone else had discoloring issues?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Element's plastic panels, just forward of the rear wheels, are being sand blasted by debris kicked up by the front tires. I've had mud flaps in place since day one. The ease at which these panels are scratched is a big concern to me as I am leasing this vehicle. Am I going to be responsible for replacing all of the plastic on this car at turn in time?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I live in Michigan and I too have the salt problem. I think more of the problem is the plastic is getting minute pitting from dirt kicking up. Now in the wheelwell behind the wheels, there the plastic has turned a slight discoloration.
Even though I thoughly LOVE my Element. And at this point I don't know what the future holds, if Honda does not redesign this part of the vehicle, there may not be another Element in my future. :cry:

·
Registered
113 Posts
That is a question, certainly... one that has been discussed elsewhere in this board in GREAT detail. As far as the discoloration goes, I wonder if there is a product that can coat the panels with a more durable finish... maybe spray-on truck bed liner?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey! The plastic fenders are pretty fragile in reality. I have scratched mine just by getting close to my hedges. The good news is that Lacquer thinner removes most of the discoloration on this material, and the new (non-oily) Armorall restores the original color. The detailer at my dealership used this combo and it has lasted for over a week so far. Try it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts