Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen only 1 thread for replacing the air filter. I have 70K and the dealer wants $450 for the 60K servicing that includes oil, filters (air & oil), flush & replace brake fluid and a whole bunch of "inspections" - so it sounds like they want me to buy several steak dinners for somebody.

I normally prefer to get my under the hood work at the dealer but I'm fairly mechanical.

Is replacing the air filter much of a big deal. From the exploded diagram on another thread it doesn't look to be too technical. I'll have to lift the hood tonight and have a look. I have all the tools I'll need.

If it isn't too much effort I'll just order the filters from H&A and do it this weekend and let the dealer do the $20 oil change.

· Registered
491 Posts
steveny said:
I've seen only 1 thread for replacing the air filter. I have 70K and the dealer wants $450 for the 60K servicing that includes oil, filters (air & oil), flush & replace brake fluid and a whole bunch of "inspections" - so it sounds like they want me to buy several steak dinners for somebody.

My own mechanic wants $350 to do the same stuff at 30,000 miles. Did you do any of it at 30.000 ?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the 30K servicing. At 70K I checked a new dealer for the 60K and they wanted $450. The former dealer relocated in downtown Baltimore and I was pissed at them anyway.

Anyway I just changed the air filter u/hood. Now I'm trying to figure out how the hell to get into the back of the glove box to chang the damn cabin filter. Thats the only think I don't like about Hondas - I believe they intentionally make this sh_t hard to do to dircourge the owner from performing some of their own work.

· Registered
109 Posts
I saw mention in a post about an exploded diagram for changing the air filter (NOT the cabin filters.) I did a search and was unable to find it. Does it still exist? Sure would appreciate seeing it- I don't want to screw up! Thanks in advance!

· Registered
1,460 Posts
While not as easy as removing a wing nut to open the air cleaner on top of a carburetor, it's really easy and you don't really need a diagram. Go for it!

· Retired.
13,245 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
changing the air filter is one thing, but a brake fluid flush/change is quite time comsuming and does require some know how, after all, it is your brakes! i suggest getting that done if you have never done it before, or spend a few hours trying to do it, then worry while driving. airbubbles in brake lines=bad time

· Registered
37 Posts
After success with changing my own cabin air filters (thanks EOC forum for pointing out the instructions), I decided the air filter didn't seem too bad.. so I went for it couple months ago and felt awesome after getting my hands dirty and the filter replaced.

If a computer geek can do this anyone can!

The only thing that took me longer than it should was finding the right tools to take the screws off.

Attached are some pics for those that like visual reference.

Attachments

· Registered
3,385 Posts
Can someone update this with 07-08 air cleaner pics and instructions? I got the replacement air cleaner from H and A, but for the 07 it is totally different from the one pictured above. Its #5 on this link from Majestic. Any tips would be appreciated, especially since it didnt come with instructions.

· Registered
3,415 Posts
It's the same basic principle. Remove the 3 screws (#20 on the diagram), lift up on the top cover (#1 on the diagram) to expose the filter. Replace filter, put the cover back on and tighten 3 screws.
Nope, it's even simpler than that. The top of the air cleaner box is held on with five little clips (#4 in the above illustration). The #20 screws are what holds the air cleaner box to the car.:)

· Registered
3,385 Posts
Excellent. Thanks guys. :) I'll try and get to replacing it this weekend-- maybe I'll take pics for the diagrammatically challenged. :oops::)

· Registered
1,437 Posts
Just a tip, make sure the air filter seats properly against the top half of the air box. It is easy to get the filter in crooked and partially occlude the airflow.:)

· Registered
3,385 Posts
Nope, it's even simpler than that. The top of the air cleaner box is held on with five little clips (#4 in the above illustration). The #20 screws are what holds the air cleaner box to the car.:)
It was that simple! 5 clips, pull off cover, pull out old nasty filter covered in black stuff and dead flies, put in new, clip back on, done! :)

· Registered
250 Posts
Help... anybody know the size of the phillips/hex head screws that hold the air filter housing cover? My service manual doesn't list em.
2003 please.
Mine are rotted and the phillps part stripped right out... used socket set to get em out but don't want to stick these back in.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.