Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I’ve been playing around with some ideas for a roof rack and decided to go for it. I’d do a lot different if I built another one, but it’s a good start.

The sides are 14 gauge and the crossbars are 3/4” x 1.5” rectangle. I welded nuts inside plates, then welded those to the ends of the crossbars.

Nothing crazy, just tried to keep it simple. I need to make a front wind deflector thing and maybe add a light bar, but here it is:

Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car Automotive side-view mirror Wheel
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Window

Might make a little ladder for the back, but one project at a time 😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all! I’ve been playing around with some ideas for a roof rack and decided to go for it. I’d do a lot different if I built another one, but it’s a good start.

The sides are 14 gauge and the crossbars are 3/4” x 1.5” rectangle. I welded nuts inside plates, then welded those to the ends of the crossbars.

Nothing crazy, just tried to keep it simple. I need to make a front wind deflector thing and maybe add a light bar, but here it is:

View attachment 211913 View attachment 211914

Might make a little ladder for the back, but one project at a time 😂
VERY NICE!

·
Registered
2007 Canadian-Spec EX-P, Tango Red
59 Posts
Very nice and very low-profile! That silver really makes the lines of the car pop. I like the consistent subtlety of the mods I see — looks like you have a lift applied too?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice and very low-profile! That silver really makes the lines of the car pop. I like the consistent subtlety of the mods I see — looks like you have a lift applied too?
Thanks Torino! I appreciate the kind words! This was some low tech work on the design. Lots of CAD (Cardboard Aided Design 😂).

It’s lifted about 2” on a DIY lift. Super simple strut spacers. Tires are 235-70-16 on some 16x7.5 wheels.

Just wanted it to look a little meaner. No clue what I’m going to put on the rack lol!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is awesome and has the more modern look the new style of roof racks. Remember to consider the weight limitations of Element roof racks, its pretty weak, like 75lbs max or something (Thule boxes start at 35lbs alone). There are lots of threads on the topic, some that include explanations for why its so low, and the bad outcomes when it is exceeded.
Still though, this is really nice work. If you can get the wind deflector, this could be a perfect solution for fitting a solar panel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is awesome and has the more modern look the new style of roof racks. Remember to consider the weight limitations of Element roof racks, its pretty weak, like 75lbs max or something (Thule boxes start at 35lbs alone). There are lots of threads on the topic, some that include explanations for why its so low, and the bad outcomes when it is exceeded.
Still though, this is really nice work. If you can get the wind deflector, this could be a perfect solution for fitting a solar panel.
Thanks for the kind words! I haven't read up on the weight limitations much, mainly because I have no idea what I'd even put on the rack :ROFLMAO:. So far, I put a camping chair up there over the weekend and it held up great!

I'm working on the wind deflector now. I might throw in a light bar, but I'm not too sold on that yet. In the meantime, I figured this would be a fun project and look cool.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX AT Polished Metal Metallic, 2003 EX AT Galapagos Green Metallic
105 Posts
Very nice.
How's the noise level and what kind of noise did it add (whistling, etc.) ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice.
How's the noise level and what kind of noise did it add (whistling, etc.) ?
Thanks! Noise level isn't bad. I'm interested to see what a front faring does for the noise level. Driving 70 mph down the highway with some wind in my face there was some noise. The tires make more noise than then rack so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts