Honda Element Owners Club banner

DIY Attempt Roof Rack

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  dad_wagon 
#1 ·
Hey all! I’ve been playing around with some ideas for a roof rack and decided to go for it. I’d do a lot different if I built another one, but it’s a good start.

The sides are 14 gauge and the crossbars are 3/4” x 1.5” rectangle. I welded nuts inside plates, then welded those to the ends of the crossbars.

Nothing crazy, just tried to keep it simple. I need to make a front wind deflector thing and maybe add a light bar, but here it is:

Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car Automotive side-view mirror Wheel
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Window

Might make a little ladder for the back, but one project at a time 😂

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks Torino! I appreciate the kind words! This was some low tech work on the design. Lots of CAD (Cardboard Aided Design 😂).

It’s lifted about 2” on a DIY lift. Super simple strut spacers. Tires are 235-70-16 on some 16x7.5 wheels.

Just wanted it to look a little meaner. No clue what I’m going to put on the rack lol!

#8 ·
This is awesome and has the more modern look the new style of roof racks. Remember to consider the weight limitations of Element roof racks, its pretty weak, like 75lbs max or something (Thule boxes start at 35lbs alone). There are lots of threads on the topic, some that include explanations for why its so low, and the bad outcomes when it is exceeded.
Still though, this is really nice work. If you can get the wind deflector, this could be a perfect solution for fitting a solar panel.

#9 ·
Thanks for the kind words! I haven't read up on the weight limitations much, mainly because I have no idea what I'd even put on the rack :ROFLMAO:. So far, I put a camping chair up there over the weekend and it held up great!

I'm working on the wind deflector now. I might throw in a light bar, but I'm not too sold on that yet. In the meantime, I figured this would be a fun project and look cool.

#12 ·
Quick update on this one. Finally finished my front faring. Not as easy as I thought, but lots of cutting and grinding later, it turned out pretty well. I ordered some basic weatherstripping and it sealed pretty well.

I was surprised at how much quieter it got! Not sure if I’ll mount a light bar in there or not, but it’s wrapped up for now. Also mounted an awning on the passenger side. Probably need some better brackets, but it was more of a mock up anyway.
Cloud Sky Car Land vehicle Automotive carrying rack
Car Sky Cloud Tire Plant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.