Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who are having the Bad or Ugly, maybe poor THROTTLE issues or the dreaded 1K Idle bouncing? Then get stuck at over 2K and up Idle. Try checking for vacuum leaks then try cleaning your IAC value before you go and buy any parts....and for those of you who can't get past 3-4K RPM's it's likely your sensor assy map connection or the unit is having issues.
Quote given was - $2300 parts & labor, plus one day in the shop time.

Gauge Tacking from 400 - 1500 rpm continuously..

Code P0505

-vacuum leak
-DIRTY THROTTLE BODY
-IAC motor defective
-Poor electrical connection to the IAC value

Now, SO lets try my easy option before anything else is done......

What you will need
-10mm socket
-12mm socket
-Philips screwdrive
-Dremel or file
-2 Claps or Zip ties
-1 Carb/choke/throttle body cleaner
I used 2 Carb cleaners, one the cans was from HONDA
-2 Micro fiber cloth

Cost - you shouldn't have internet if you can't afford this.
Time - 2 Hour, or maybe 1 Hour ( I went over Kill on this ).

First things First

DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Step 1
Locate your THROTTLE BODY (TB).,
Step 2
Remove the sensors that are on top of your TB, total of 3, along with the connections on the bottom side of your TB.,
Step 3
Remove the Throttle cables.
Step 4
Remove the 2 bolts and 2 nuts that hold in the TB, they are located on all 4 corners of your TB. Try to pull the TB off, if it doesn't slide right off use more umff and maybe a rubber hammer with gentle taps to pry it off.... BE CAREFUL to not break your gasket!!
Step 5
This is where you need claps or Zip ties... the only thing that is stopping you from taking the TB out is 2 hoses attacted to the side of it. There are little crimp claps holding them on, release those, hold onto a hose and pull it hard. Once the hose is off clamp the end to avoid fluid leaks.
Step 6
Your TB should be removed, if not you took off the wrong part.
Step 7
Time to remove your IACV, 2 screws, hold it place.,
Step 8
Now that we have what we need to clean off, its' time to whip out the Dremel. Cut a line into the safety screws.
YOU MUST REMOVE THE SENSOR BEFORE YOU CLEAN!
Step 9
Time to clean... put the black sensor off to the side so you don't get anything on it. Take your cleaner and spray into the vave. Don't worry about how much to use. Just clean all the S$$t out of it and make sure that it can spin freely and smoothly when you're done.
THIS IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEED TO CLEAN!!
But, I did clean the Throttle Body also.
Step 10
Make sure your IACV is clean and completly dry. Test spin it. If it's not moving fast and smooth then ---- RE - Clean ---- Again!!. Plus, a few drops of 3inOne oil into the bearings will do the trick. Or not and risk seizing up the bearing and you have to purchase a whole new IACV assembly. You can't just buy the part, unless you get one off 3rd hand.
Step 11
Assemble your TB completly, when you put the IACV back on make sure it looks this one... the valve can go on the wrong way.
Step 12
Put your TB back on and reconnect everything. Reconnect your battery and start your engine. I REV'ed my enginge for 5 min's untill the fan came on. I closed the Hood, then took a drive into the Mountains with a new car feel. I stoped at Costco for Pizza and a Hot Dog.:lol:
I'll fix pictures later.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DIY - Fix your THROTTLE BODDY...

More Pics from part of cleaning installing stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DIY - Fix your THROTTLE BODDY...

More pictures of cleaning and tools used.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a couple more pictures here. Only because, I know you like pictures folks:lol:.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any idea what size the IACV security screws are? I would rather not cut through them. Also it looks like you replaced them with some allen head screws and washers.

Is cleaning the TB a good idea? I'm having the hunting between 1-2k issue

·
Registered
102 Posts
F
What you will need
-10mm socket
-12mm socket
-Philips screwdrive
-Dremel or file
-2 Claps or Zip ties
-1 Carb/choke/throttle body cleaner
I used 2 Carb cleaners, one the cans was from HONDA
-2 Micro fiber cloth

Cost - you shouldn't have internet if you can't afford this.
Time - 2 Hour, or maybe 1 Hour ( I went over Kill on this ).
Note I'm in the middle of this job and noticed you used one thing that you left of this list, a Throttle body gasket!!!

If you do this job buy a $3 throttle body gasket BEFORE you start!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
FYI the IACV screws are M4 -0.7 x20
or 4mm thread with 0.7 pitch and 20mm long
Napa has some with a 7mm head, the hardware store did not have 4x20 only 4x12 and 4x25

Also FYI
The Napa warehouse does not stock the gasket and all the dealership parts departments are closed on Sunday

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Nope NOT TORX I just paid $10 for a set of security torx bits and the IACV screws are more like stars. I ended up doing the dremel method, not sure what I'll put back in
Sorry to hear that you spent money on the wrong bits.That's why I said probably, since I really wasn't sure if they were security torx bits, or not. Maybe you could return them and get your money back.:?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry to hear that you spent money on the wrong bits.That's why I said probably, since I really wasn't sure if they were security torx bits, or not. Maybe you could return them and get your money back.:?
I picked them up sears so I'm sure they will take them back. Sears also has a $30 set similar to what was linked to on amazon, not sure if that contains the proper bit though. I did some googling and didn't find anything that looks similar to the screw

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well I picked up the gasket today and put it all together and.....
It works perfectly!!
No more hunting and rock solid idle, all for about $10 in parts and materials. Over all a pretty easy job, you need some confidence to pull it apart but it all goes back together a little easier, which is a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lost my idle today, went online and found this great tutorial! Thank You! It took me a little more than 1 hour, but everything went pretty smooth. I bypassed the dremel by using Curved Jaw Locking Pliers. I used it on all 4 screws, IACV and Sensor, cause I was unable to unscrew them with the screwdriver. Just my 5cents in case someone have the same problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also I used a piece of thicker plastic and a zip tie to plug the hose on the end and then You put the TB back, before You reconnect the hose make sure to put a towel or something on TB (Cover it somehow), cause You don't want any liquid to get inside the TB.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Can't you clean the throttle body without taking it off the car with the engine running?

B

·
Registered
27 Posts
I still don't understand why the sensor has to be removed.

If the goal is to clean the throttle body so that it opens and closes smoothly, then why not just hold the flap open, put alcohol or solvent on a rag and rub the inside until it comes clean?

Anyone?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts