Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to do a CAI system but didn't want to spend a fortune. I went to retail me not got a coupon and went to autozone to see what they had.

I knew i wanted to go custom but didnt want to spend 250$. Autozone had almost everything i needed, i just had to imagine.

Air Filter Cone shaped - 22$
Flexible Black Tube - 22$
Cupling 9$

I just had to goto home depot for (2) 4 inch hose clamps. 3.50$
i cant remember the exact prices but these are estimates and i had a 10% off coupon at autozone.

This is before I started.

to the left of the box there is 2 bolts and to the right of the box there is 1 bolt. Remove them with a long socket. then take a screw driver and force the rubber tube off right after the case and just lift the box out.

the box has been removed. that was simple. notice the big black tube on the right. thats what you have to remove. i used my hand but some people might not be as manly as me :lol:

Proof box is out of the car lol

Put the air filter on the end of the flextube and tighten hose clamp.

Damn i forgot to take a picture of the next steps probably because they were the most frustrating. Loosen the battery clamp and slide the battery left. also I had a ground wire to the right frame over the box i needed to remove. also there is also a tube extender just put a screwdriver on it and pry it out.
if i confused u watch the first 20 seconds of this video. http://youtu.be/oMUcpMCd6dY

after the battery is slide left(im talking a few inches i didnt even disconnect it) you should see the 2 bolts to remove and the box should wiggle right out with q little muscle and finding the right angle.

once thats out put the collar in the original intake tube where the first box was. clamp it down to the flexpipe. run the flex pipe to right behind the headlight and mount it.

I got inventive and used a few self tapping screws, a bracket and a bungie cord because its like 20 degrees in new york right now. im sure ill get something better to mount it but it was really secure so im happy

I hope this helps anyone out there. I am a novice but I want to get more handy. I noticed a little more pep when i hit the gas but i also hear a whine now coming from the filter. is that normal or do i need a bigger air filter/cone?

my dad said its normal to hear the whistle. but im a noob looking to teach and learn here.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
the air filter seems kind of small, and the flex tube is probably not helping your intake flow. i might rethink this....

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't think it'd be worse than the stock resonators. I do agree with the filter though.

What I've done previously was cut a hole in the bottom of the airbox and route the tubing from there to lower in the engine bay where a CAI would sit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats cool. i actually am happy with the way it turned out. my car is definitely peppier.

the filter i used is a spectre 8162 and after doing research they are made small but are high performance so its good and im happy i can get on the highway without worry it hasn't negatively effected my gas milage either.

although i am curios about your view on the pipe and air flow? some reviews i read say how they tare after a couple months is that what your basing it on?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
well the fact that they tear is in itself a bad thing, but i was thinking more the small seeming diameter and the fact that its got all those accordian folds would make it a poor intake as far as air flow goes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the air inside the engine compartment cool?
i put it near the battery and the vent to the vendor so cool air is getting to it. its definitly good. im going to upgrade the flex tube only because i dont like it. i found a nice one on amazon that should fit nicely.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Used to muck w/ this stuff when I had a Supra but times pass... As do memories

CAI intakes were great when we were trying to make speed and times at WOT. The turbos, the intercooler and generally the entire engine bay were a massive heat sink which restricted how much air we could get into the engine. Devices like a turbo helped "suck" more air into the engine (and the engine was simply a massive air pump), and ice around the intercooler (water spray, alcohol combo) helped increase the air density.

But with those engines, it boiled down to getting as much air into the engine so the larger injectors and fuel maps could combine it at the right ratio in order to increase horse power.

With the Element, it'd be different. The air/fuel mix is pretty good (constant) for whatever RPM you're at. Increasing the air density doesn't mean you have more air coming into the engine IF the throttle body is partially closed restricting that air.

The mass air flow sensors generally reads not only the amount of air coming through (fixed diameter, measures flow speed) but also the density of the air (temperature gauge). So the MAF knows exactly how much air is incoming.

Again, if your throttle body (butterfly plate) is wide open and you are still not getting enough air because of whatever restriction - then yes, CAI will help. But if it's at 50-80%, CAI won't do a thing as the MAF is telling the system how much air is coming in and the system is accommodating the overal ratio of A/F mix.

Too much air is bad. You run too lean, burn the rings and fry your engine. A little lean is good as that's where you're close to your max HP/Torque. Too rich is a safety valve as it only costs fuel.

Way back when we'd wire in potentiometers (aka resistors) to our MAF in order to tell the system it was warmer than it was in order to allow more air in. There's a limit as you do start to reduce the life of your engine (but hey, the Toyota Supra engines are/were bullet proof).

Am I off, is my memory that shot?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great incite. im not doing anything else to the engine. i wonder if what i did is going to burn the engine out faster. im not doing the turbos and anything crazy like racing at the track.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I seriously doubt that your harming your engine.

CAI are still in a small way an upgrade, at least when you stick you foot in it to pass that semi on the highway. They sound great too.:-D

Nice work, keep up the mods!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just wanted to update everyone. This mod has gone a winter and have had NO problems with it and I can get on the highway very easy now. This mod is a success...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would suggest replacing the flex pipe. Proven it is 33% more restrictive than straight tubing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts