Honda Element Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: How to convert your side markers to turn signals (With Pix)!

Great mod, I have been doing this for yrs on touring bikes with fairings. Never thought of doing it to my car, DUH!!
The way it works is that you are gounding the side lite through the hot wire of the front turn signal bulb. That is why you have 1 wire that is not used (the side lite ground wire) You are picking up a ground by back feeding through the T/S fillament. When you turn on the T/S the voltage interrups this ground circuit and the side lite then goes out ('cause it loses its ground.) thus it alternates with the front T/s. Hope I explained this simple enough, easy to do, hard to put in writing. Tim

Reactions: sadboi

·
Registered
51 Posts

Just completed this mod with no problems but thought I'd add additional comments to the original post. I hope to make it a touch easier for more people to do this, it looks cool and improves safety. Here goes:

1. I think the hardest part was popping the side markers out. I used a towel over a slim flat head screw driver and started at the top of the side marker. I didn't scratch the plastic because I was VERY careful and took my time, you do the same. Once you get the head of the driver under the lip of the side marker, push down and towards you. This will release the top clip. There are clips on the left and right as well, plus a retaining hardened clip on the bottom. Once you get it popped out most the way just lift up and out. This shouldn't discourage you I'm just providing as much detail as possible.

2. As noted before you DO NOT have to cut any wires on the existing blinker plug. This clip just splices through the wire to make contact. I used a yellow 16 gauge wire to go from blinker to side marker, this size worked great. Here is the splice I used from Home Depot:
Gardner Bender 12-10 Gauge Vinyl Insulated Butt Connector
Model 10-126 (I got a smaller package for 99 cents)

3. As noted the driver side wire is green/red with silver dots, and note it's the center wire coming out of the plastic blinker plug. This is important on the passenger side because the wire is different colors. It is still the CENTER wire you splice into.

4. Some people installed grommets to route the wire, and yeah it's prolly more secure, but I just ran mine through the large round hole. You can easily see this hole when you look in the side marker cutout. The plastic on the 16 gauge wire will never rub through to the wire. Your call but I skipped that step. Regardless, make sure you leave enough slack in the wire so that you can easily replace either bulb (blinker or side marker) without having to un-do your wiring.

5. I figure it's much easier to start with splicing into the blinker wire first, then cut into the side marker wire and crimp that 2nd. This is because you have less room to work with when working on the blinker.

6. When working on splicing the blinker I found it easiest to pop off the plastic connectors to both the blinker and headlight, also pop the wire out of the retainer below, so you have as much slack as possible to work with. I have big hands so this helped a TON. You DO NOT have to pull out the headlight or blinker bulbs for this install.

7. These are the end-to-end crimp I used for the black wire of the side marker, again from Home Depot:
Gardner Bender 22-18 Gauge Vinyl Insulated Butt Connector
Model 10-121 (Small package for less than 6x cents)

Sorry this was so long-winded but I wish I had these comments in hand before I started. Wanted to give you as much detail as possible. Took me 30 minutes and I was extremely careful. Good luck!

·
Registered
251 Posts

Great post...digital cameras are GREAT!!!

I'd just like to point out that there are some better connectors on the market. I've found that the quick crimp connectors corrode after a couple years and cause electrical problems.

I'd strongly suggest using shrink tubing or a "GM weatherpack" style on the marker splice.

The tap that I've had excellent results with is the Posi-lock..completely watertight. The one in particular is the tap made one for trailer wiring...available at Walmart for a couple bucks.

·
Registered
250 Posts

Ok. did the driver's side.

Followed the directions closely.... now I have no power to the side light.

The turn signals still light and flash fine, but I have no light on the side.

???

One question.. when you cut into the black wire on the side light and connect your wire from the turn signal splice, what happens to to the original black wire? Do you just cap it off?

Thanks for any help you can give... kinda frustrated since this went so smoothly for others.

B

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

blutch said:
Ok. did the driver's side.

Followed the directions closely.... now I have no power to the side light.

The turn signals still light and flash fine, but I have no light on the side.

???

One question.. when you cut into the black wire on the side light and connect your wire from the turn signal splice, what happens to to the original black wire? Do you just cap it off?

Thanks for any help you can give... kinda frustrated since this went so smoothly for others.

B
Same thing happened to me when I installed it....just make sure that there is a solid connection between the front turn signal and the side light...make sure the crimps are connected and nothing has fallen out or anything...just double check and worst comes to worst you gotta recrimp the connections, then it should be fine

·
Registered
250 Posts

Thanks.. turns out I just didn't have the quick splice thing tight enough.. squeezed it with plyers and everything worked.

Nice!

B

·
Registered
19 Posts

Hi,

Just want to say thanks to OP. I did it over the weekend but I've been wanting to do it long ago. Just a warning to some who is planning to do it. If you go by OP's instruction, you have to CUT the BLACK wire from the side signal wire. Otherwise, your fuse will go out. Mine went out twice because I refused to cut any wires in my car. Finally, I cut it and it worked.

P.S. Anyone know why there's a delay between front signal light and side signal light.

Thanks,
Cashneedie

·
Registered
661 Posts

cashneedie said:
Hi,

Just want to say thanks to OP. I did it over the weekend but I've been wanting to do it long ago. Just a warning to some who is planning to do it. If you go by OP's instruction, you have to CUT the BLACK wire from the side signal wire. Otherwise, your fuse will go out. Mine went out twice because I refused to cut any wires in my car. Finally, I cut it and it worked.

P.S. Anyone know why there's a delay between front signal light and side signal light.

Thanks,
Cashneedie
If you're talking about the blinking I noticed this:
If your lights are OFF, the turn signals and side markers blink TOGETHER.
If your lights are ON, the turn signals and side markers ALTERNATE.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

cashneedie said:
If you go by OP's instruction, you have to CUT the BLACK wire from the side signal wire. Otherwise, your fuse will go out. Mine went out twice because I refused to cut any wires in my car. Finally, I cut it and it worked.
That's why it says to cut the wire in this step on the first page by SHEN.

Cut the black wire on the side marker and strip the end. Do the same with the wire we spliced into the turn signal.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Any electrical guru's out there know where to splice into to make the turn signal and side marker blink in sync at all times and not be opposite each other when the lights are on? I imagine that you cannot do this without a 3 wire connector and a new bulb because your choices would be either to have the side marker only come on when the turn signal is on, or to only come on solid....like stock since you cannot make it perform like a turn signal without a 3 wire harness and new bulb. If anyone has accomplished this, may I please have instructions? I like the idea of the side marker flashing (like VW) but I cannot stand the thought of the side marker and turn signal being opposite each other at night.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

JasonS said:
....but I cannot stand the thought of the side marker and turn signal being opposite each other at night.
It's really not bad at all as they both blink fairly quickly. The alternating blink actually appears to draw more attention to the signals being on at night rather than blinking in unison. Infact if I'm not mistaken, I've seen several stock vehicles blink in this manner also.

·
Registered
847 Posts

Looks like one of the easiest mods ever, yet just now getting around to it. It's actually sunny here today. Hmm 2pm and do I actually have enough time to do this, the horn and clear the headlights?

OK now for the question which, I am not clear on.

"Using a quik-splice, to connect the wire with the wire leading to our side markers:

I see from the photo a black and red wire that is quick spliced with the green red w/silver dots. Or is that just the reflection on the black wire from the quick splice. On second review, it looks like it is. So I'm assuming this is a NEW wire that is going to be bridging over to the side markers to make a new circuit? Sorry to seem persnickity, it's the english major in me coming out, but if this is the case, "Using a quik-splice, connect a new wire with enough length to reach the side marker." sounds a bit clearer for the hamfisted apes, like me who look at bright shiny things and drool.

Also the wording: "Now, connect the wire from the turn signal to the wire on the side marker and it's done!" is just a tad confusing at first.

Now, connect the new wire from the spliced turn signal to the newly stripped black with silver dot side marker wire and you are done. Just make sure you cap off the old black with silver wire with a bit of tape and leave it in the sheath.

According to Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy, the write up on how this works is explained in yet another way...

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/markerflash/markerflash.html

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I'm going to do this now that I have answered my own question. Doh!

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts

valkokir said:
Then Volkswagen better stop selling vehicles in the US because the Jetta's side markers blink. Care to provide some sort of link that explains this vehicle code? My last car didn't have any side marker lights, was it illegal? :?
Are you sure? The Jetta from what I remember just has EXTRA signal.
What is technically required in USA is an light marking each corner of the vehicle(amber in front, red in rear) . The turn signals in USA need only be seen from basicly the front or rear corners(I'm sure there is some % and viewing angle formula but dont know what it specificly is). Europeans add an additional turn signal to the fender area so when driving next to vehicle it can be seen(many US makers add this as safety option but not required)
Frequently, as mentioned above the lens is shared by a double filament bulb. Makers design the lens so it can be seen from front or side thus meeting safety requirements (its cheaper) One filament remains lit and another lights when turn signal is applied.

I seriously doubt any LEO would pick up on difference since the marker light does light when "running". Even then, a judge would probably laugh his posterior off for wasting court time when U contest ticket. Of course if you are one of those into changing your bulb/lens colors then you're SOL :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

I don't know if it would help anyone to have a quasi-schematic for this change. I know I sketched it out to better visualize this simple change.

I really liked the soldered connection approach to keep it clean and less bulky.
Used tape(held by cable ties) or heat-shrink tube at the splices and wear points.

And remember on EACH SIDE:
Only one wire is cut.
Only one wire is added.
Center wires on blinker lights are spliced to the cut black wire on the side marker light(at the light bulb side of that cut).

And I will not be offended if someone else comes up with a cleaner and more official looking schematic.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
One down...

..one to go. I did the driver side. It came out perfect. A buddy has his kids in town and brought them over for a swim so I didn't have time to do the passenger side. I quick spliced the wire at the turn signal bulb, but soldered the wire into the side marker wire... Double shrank wrapped that splice and electrical taped everything! Plus one Zip tie. Went a little overboard but what the hey! :twisted:

It worked as prescribed. Great Mod. Smart. A tip of the hat to the Shen!

Gonna do the right side manana. :-D

Oh, two more things. My lights now flash in sync. I thought people said the would alternate. Curious, but not a problem for me. And I think the metal on the inside is different on the 06's because I only found one hole to put a grommet in and even a 1/2" was too small. But I used it anyway! It was under the corner bracket cross bar.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Re: One down...

chad5 said:
.My lights now flash in sync. I thought people said the would alternate.
They will flash in sync when the lights are off, and alternate when the lights are on, (or vice versa).

·
Registered
12 Posts
jimtesla is right. the easiest way to pop out the side marker lights is to use a long screwdriver from inside the side panel and pop it out. it works very well and no tired fingers or possible scratches trying to do it from the outside.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
We used home depot plastic baseboard lifters to remove the lights. Worked great and no scratches...:D
It only took 10 minutes to do the mod, and Elaine did all the work...It took 30 minutes to gather the tools together before we could start, $%&%$#% kids 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
BTW use an old credit card or key card (credit card type) to help pry off the side markers in a pinch.

41 - 60 of 169 Posts