Honda Element Owners Club banner

121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
steve.... thats an epic amount of work that you put in there :D

i like it :D
Thanks Kit :). One of the caveats of my persistant obsession over quality and careful work is I can't do much less and feel comfortable about it. Every job I do is essentially a "calling card" and 99.99% of the time if I wouldn't do it to my own vehicle, I wouldn't do it to someone else's.

I had to install projectors on a new Si one time at work and the box only came with scotch-taps to work to tie it into the OEM lighting so I did the best I could with those. I didn't like using them but I still took my time and did a quality job. I even went so far as to wrap all the wires up nice with electrical tape to keep them neat and left some slack so the headlight could be removed if need be. Seriously hated using the taps and the worst was when one of the techs had to work on the car later on for an unrelated isssue which required the headlight to be removed. He pretty much made fun of the fact I used scotch taps and I took offense to it because I know I'm lightyears ahead when it comes to the quality of work I do. I made sure to point out how much time and effort I put into ensuring the wires and connections were sealed up properly and organized neatly. Didn't hear much after my rebuttal so I think I made my point :).

I'm a solder-and-heat-shrink guy myself, but it turned out okay because I was picky, took my time and did it how I would do it on my own vehicle if I had to. Wasn't too hot about cutting into the customer's harness and permanently soldering wires in there because it was still under warranty. Scotch taps made it easier to remove and go back to stock if need be, you'd simply remove the taps, de-pin the connector, slide some adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing over the cut from the tap and seal it up. Done and back to OEM with no problems. If I was to solder it like I was mocked for not doing, you'd have to cut wires, resolder everything again and it would just be a mess. If he had said I WANT A PERMANENT INSTALLATION, then solder it would be.

Again, you don't have to go to such lengths like I did and the only reason I did is because I plan to keep the Element for as long as it lasts and I want to make sure that it is as close to OEM as I could get it. It's probably not reversible without more work, but I don't plan to change it.

And yes, if someone was to come into the dealership and ask for something custom like that, they'd get the exact same thoroughness, care and attention to detail that I put into my own Element. Because at the end of the day, you only get paid to do it right once :D.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My aftermarket alarm blinks the parking lamps and the side markers at the same time when I auto-start the car. Am I going to have problems when I do this mod?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
My aftermarket alarm blinks the parking lamps and the side markers at the same time when I auto-start the car. Am I going to have problems when I do this mod?
They all do that,so no...you won't have any problems with it.8) Well as long as you do the mod correctly.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Problems

Did the mod, the side markers blink as expected, but now the emergency blinker doesn't work and the airbag light is on....what happened?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Funny, I checked out my 2010 EX to see how my side markers work, and they work just this way from the factory. They blink for turn signals but are off the rest of the time.
That's because on your model year Element they are dedicated turn signals.;-)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Did mine today after 10 months of ownership. I guess I'm a little slow. Thanks Shen for the original post and Honu for the cool diagram (pg 12). I did the grommet/solder/shrink tube/factory look method and took about 2 hours. Again, I guess I'm a little slow. I used a bright green 16 gauge wire so I'll be able to find it if I ever go back to stock (why would I?) I would like to mention I did 'lightly' twist the wires together and did a bulb function test before I was committed to solder and shrink tube. Great mod had everything but the 2 grommets so I'm out 90 cents :razz: Great mod!!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Since doing this modification, I have seen several vehicles make last-minute abrupt stops while trying to turn into a roadway which I am signaling to exit. While I can only speculate, I attribute this to the fact that my sidemarkers now blink to indicate to the side of my Element where I plan on going.

The front signal lights are abysmal for visibility to the side and I think this modification should have been done at the factory for safety reasons.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
So here is one picture of how I wired the side markers. I just used a simple marette and spliced it that way. Throw on some electrical tape and BAM!

Also I made a movie on how it blinks with the lights on/off

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Okay, I've completed 1/2 of this mod and have a concern.

Lights on:
Sidemarker is on solid. (normal)
Lights on w/blinker on:
Sidemarker flashes opposite of turn signals (normal)
Hazard lights on:
Sidemarker flashes opposite of turn signal lights (normal)

Lights off:
Sidemarker is off: (normal)
Lights off w/blinker on:
Sidemarker is off: (PROBLEM)
Hazard lights on:
Sidemarker is off: (PROBLEM)

What have I done wrong?

Disclosures:
  • I have only done the drivers side at this point (do I need to do both sides before this will work?).
  • I swapped the filament bulb in the drivers sidemarker to a philips LED bulb.
  • When I lock/unlock the car the sidemarker flashes at the same time as the turn signal lights.
PLEASE HELP.. :? :?

One more update. This morning I flipped the polarity on the LED bulb and the behavior inverted. With the lights off it would flash with the blinkers, lights on meant no running lights OR blinkers. I'll try going back to a standard bulb tonight just to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Shame this thread finally died after 44 pages, but I figured out my issue.

Note to future implementers of this mod: Do NOT use LED bulbs on the sidemarkers. Once I reverted back to the OEM bulbs, the problem behavior went away. Now the sides blink in tandem with the directionals with the lights off, and they flash opposite when the lights are on.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I'm new to the E community - pickup up my 2010 EX a few weeks ago. Read this thread excited to work on my car...only to discover it looks like it already flashes the side markers when the turn signal is on.

Is that expected?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just did this today- very easy, but I'm astounded no one has said to pop the clips out from the inside!!

After 30 minutes of prying with a credit card/screwdriver method to get the side markers out I just opened the hood and put my hand to the back of the side markers and squeezed the clips together- both came out in seconds... No more nightmare!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did mine today. I don't really like the quick splice connectors so I used butt connectors at the front signal. Cut the green wire, added connector to the flasher side, then twisted the bridge wire onto the other half of the green wire and crimped that side on. Should be more durable.

Works great! Nice mod. I'm really surprised Honda didn't do this as factory. Generally speaking I always thought DOT wanted the front turn signals visible from the side of the car as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
DIY: Converting side markers to turn signals

Last year I did mine. Chose to cut and then splice the wires, soldering them and then covering all with thick heat shrink tubing. Much neater, and less bulky. Been thinking that I may actually add larger amber lenses that stick out a bit... for much better visbility for inattentive drivers.

W. Li

·
Registered
464 Posts
Word of note:

For those planning on putting LEDs into the side markers, it might be the LEDs I purchased, but if your lights are not on, i.e. no parking lights, low beams high beams vice versa, the signals will not blink even if you're signalling.

However, if your lights are on, i.e. parking lights low beams high beams, then the markers will blink as usual.

Has anyone else had this issue? It could just be the LEDs I purchased, the eBay 5-LED SMD bulbs.

Also, the standard cheap cool blue LEDs will not work in the side markers, even with the OEM orange lens. The end colour looks more like a sickly green hue than orange. I will be going back to my standard halogen bulbs for the time being until I can find an alternative (as my standard bulbs have gotten so old the bulb glass is smoky for some reason)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mine work just fine. Side firing orange LED from VLEDs.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts