Honda Element Owners Club banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
First post! just got my 2009 ex on Tuesday. I noticed that my side markers blink with my turn signals (that's good!), but don't come on with my headlights or parking lights (that's bad.). Before I start tracing wires to figure out what the previous owner did, I want to make sure that this isn't the way honda designed it. Did the side marker operation change for the 2009s? Should the side markers come on with the headlights and/or parking lights?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Help!

So I did this mod tonight and after finishing all the soldering it doesn't work. now none of my blinkers work and my hazards don't work. This worries me. Does anyone know what could be the problem??? Please help!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
you may have connected the wrong things together. you may have blown a fuse.

you need to review all your work, from the very beginning. or you could let someone pretend to do the mod from the very beginning and see if they try to do the same things you did.

blinkers and hazards use the same bulbs and share lots of circuitry, so it's not surprising they both don't work. you could think of left side blinkers as being half of the hazards.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
you may have connected the wrong things together. you may have blown a fuse.

you need to review all your work, from the very beginning. or you could let someone pretend to do the mod from the very beginning and see if they try to do the same things you did.

blinkers and hazards use the same bulbs and share lots of circuitry, so it's not surprising they both don't work. you could think of left side blinkers as being half of the hazards.

So would it be a good idea to double check all connections and insure that they are solid?
Also what fuse should I look to replace? Or fuses?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You should go back and check that you connected the proper wires. The fuse will keep blowing if your connections are wrong. Check your owners manual for fuse info.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
You should go back and check that you connected the proper wires. The fuse will keep blowing if your connections are wrong. Check your owners manual for fuse info.
When you cut into the black wire on the side markers. Are you suppose to leave the part of the wire that isn't connected to to the side marker out of the connection or do you splice into the wire on the side marker?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
in order for the marker to light up it needs to have 2 wires connected to it. so, if you cut 1 of the wires going to the marker and didn't connect it to something else, it's not going to light up. and if you connected the other part of that wire you cut to the signal/hazard circuit, you just grounded that circuit and neither signal nor hazard will work. the circuit was probably saved by 1 or more fuses blowing.
so, before you check the quality of your connections, check to make sure the correct things are connected. if the connections are incorrect, undo them (both sides), do them correctly, replace any blown fuses and you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
in order for the marker to light up it needs to have 2 wires connected to it. so, if you cut 1 of the wires going to the marker and didn't connect it to something else, it's not going to light up. and if you connected the other part of that wire you cut to the signal/hazard circuit, you just grounded that circuit and neither signal nor hazard will work. the circuit was probably saved by 1 or more fuses blowing.
so, before you check the quality of your connections, check to make sure the correct things are connected. if the connections are incorrect, undo them (both sides), do them correctly, replace any blown fuses and you should be good to go.

Do you happen to know what fuses are connected to this part of the wiring? And if so what amps?

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
i would have to pull out the owner's manual and then check the label on the fuse in the fuse holder. my E is about 12 miles away right now and my arms aren't that long.
there are both an underhood fusebox and an underdash fuse box. you may have to check both.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been enjoying this mod for a while now and it has worked great! Today I found a use for the two ground wires that were left hanging. I added amber led running lights to the fog light areas by tapping into the red/yellow wire for power and grounding them to the black wires that were left by the mod. I really like the way it turned out and the pics don't do it justice. I'll try and add a daytime pic tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front blinkers not working

I just bought a 2003 Element and love everything about it! It looks like the side marker to blinker mod was done by a previous owner, but much to my dismay, only the rear blinkers function. There seems to several cut wires just bare hanging around. Also multiple other mods for sound equipment CB radio etc which were removed I'm assuming the cut and spliced bare end wires were for these mods but with only rear signals working I'm wondering... Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
So here is one picture of how I wired the side markers. I just used a simple marette and spliced it that way. Throw on some electrical tape and BAM!

Also I made a movie on how it blinks with the lights on/off
Do you have more picture of how you did it?

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
141 - 160 of 160 Posts