Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I painted my 08 SC headlights...I used to have RVinyl tint on them to achieve the dark look I wanted, but they did my 8000K HIDs no good...so I just went for it and painted them.

1st) I had to take off the front end of my E

2nd) I had to remove the headlights

3rd) I wrapped all the bulbs with ziplock bags so they won't get dirty chillin in the engine bay

4th) I baked the headlights in the oven at 250 degrees for 10min in order to soften the goop holding them together

5th) I pulled the lens away from the actual headlight

6th) I removed all of the parts of the headlight

7th) I applied tack coats of Plasti-dip

8th) I applied at least 7 coats of Plasti-dip to all of the parts

9th) I hand painted the circle around the projector beam with red engine enamel because it will have to withstand some heat and engine enamel withstands upwards of 500 degrees

10th) I took the old tint off and cleaned the lenses really well

11th) I put all the parts back into their original places

12th) I reheated the headlights in the oven for 5min

13th) I squeezed the goop stuff back together after it was heated

14th) I screwed everything back together

15th) I put the headlights back into their spot and plugged all the bulbs back in

16th) Put the front bumper back on

17th) enjoyed the new look of my E!!

all in all it took me about 10hrs including clean up...and it costs me $20 (not a bad deal!)

p.s. I know there maybe some aspects that aren't 100% legal in all 50 states..please no haters...(the tint was more illegal :evil:)

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Nice job ! Gives me some incentive to do mine one of these days :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OH and one more thing....ALL the parts in the headlight besides the amber lens will turn a glossy black if you rub alcohol wipes on them....it takes off the chrome and you are left with a perfect glossy finish :p

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds good, I used plastidip, but you can use anything..if its a smooth paint i recommend using prep adhesive spray

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
you can get adhesion-promotion prep spray..it just reduces the chance of drips
Actually adhesion promoter is exactly that. It promotes adhesion on plastic
parts. If you spray a regular paint on plastic, it will NOT stick. It has nothing
to do with drips. You prevent drips by NOT spraying your paint on too thick.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Light mod

I have been flirting with the idea of painting my headlights. I have a 05. Is it necessary to take the bumper of to get the headlights out? Did you add any extra glue before you put it back together... did you put it back together and THEN put it back in the oven (the second time upon completion)?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've done this mod to an 04 civic si and an 03 wrx wagon, both times I had to remove the bumper and I'm sure that's the case here as there's hidden bolts that hold the headlight to the frame. This is usually behind the bumper. Both times I've done the mod I used black high temp. engine spray paint (your choice low, medium or high gloss). I've never applied additional glue or sealants as the factory glue creates a perfect seal when you put it back in oven to cure. I've never had an issue with condensation or moisture buildup on either car after completion. Multiple coats will ensure a one time only needed spray application. The outcome is awesome and the awes, new aggressive look and feeling of satisfaction that you did this yourself is great! I was skeptical at first about putting the headlights into the oven, piece of cake and a lot easier than I thought. Good luck, take your time and let us know how it goes! I just bought my E a week ago and plan on doing this mod once spring comes around.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts