Honda Element Owners Club banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Did the 05 have radio controls on the wheel, if not there is no wiring in the column for the controls. Drew:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
No it doesn't have radio buttons currently, so I am sure you are correct that there are no wires waiting for me...

I presume you are saying the wires going in during the project are not part of the plan.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I went with the SC leather-wrapped steering wheel instead of the Pilot wheel so that it would match my shifter. (Copper stitching).

Here's a pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Wow that really looks good Maximo Park!!! I too would have bought the SC wheel if it wasn't so dog gone expensive:sad:. Although now I'm thinking of changing over my interior to SC covers:-o. Merry Christmas Drew:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wow that really looks good Maximo Park!!! I too would have bought the SC wheel if it wasn't so dog gone expensive:sad:. Although now I'm thinking of changing over my interior to SC covers:-o. Merry Christmas Drew:)
Thanks Drew. :) Yes, I know what you mean. It's ridiculously expensive, IMO. It took me a looong time to justify the price. 9 months, to be exact. Anyway, I really, really like it. It feels great. Make sure to post some pics of your interior if you decide to change it.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi,

I just wanted to add that I got mine from Reliaparts.com via the automotix.net website. I guess Automotix has a network of wreckers in the US and I paid about $6 to send out a request and I got my response a day later. I'm still waiting for the wheel but it has only been a few days and when stuff comes to Canada, it takes a few weeks.

It's too bad that the screens from Emass' first post in this thread are gone. Anyone have the instructions with screen shots?

My wheel cost $100 + $20 in shipping.

thanks,

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I've got a Pilot wheel from '05 or '06. Doesn't work with my '05 E. I need an '03 or '04. So if this wheel will work for somebody just make me an offer and send me a PM here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got a Pilot wheel from '05 or '06. Doesn't work with my '05 E. I need an '03 or '04. So if this wheel will work for somebody just make me an offer and send me a PM here.
In one of the posts in this thread someone mentions that the 03 & 04 wheels are getting rare and the prices are going up and they are very hard to find. Like I said above, Automotix.net is where I had to go.

good luck

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just finished the swap on my 08 E

So I just swapped out the wheel on my 08 with an 08 Pilot wheel. This is the third E I've done this on, so it went pretty quick.

Since the other pics in the thread have disappeared, I took some of my own. They're from a cell phone, so sorry for the quality, but I figure they're better than nothing.

Airbag unscrewed, showing the one wire harness you have to release to get it out.

From under the wheel, there's a little cover you take off to get access to the airbag clip.

The airbag.

Airbag off, remember where all the connections go.

Horn plate off.

Rest of the trim pieces removed. Remember to loosen, but not completely remove the main bolt holding the wheel in place. That way you can yank on the wheel without worrying about pulling the SRS cable out also.

Wheel totally off. I had to crank it to the right to get it to lock so I could get enough leverage on that big main bolt. Don't let the SRS cable pivot or fall out while you're working on it.

After that it was just a matter of putting the new wheel on, and then reconnecting everything.

All the trim and airbag replaced. The color is a bit more gray than black, but maybe that's just the one I got.

That's it.

eKennedy

·
Registered
57 Posts
back at it

I will attempt the swap to a Pilot wheel and can't find a spot where the instructions with pictures that work still resides. Help would be appreciated.

tn3m3l3

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just to be sure, an 08 Pilot leather steering wheel will fit an '08 element without modification? Majestic is showing a part number for a dark grey wheel as 2329262.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Would this Modification work on a 2004 LX? I'm not sure if the wires would be there or not and before i took it apart to check i was hoping someone knew!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
anyone looking for "detailed" instructions and pictures can just go to the links at h and a for the steering wheels them selves for both the pilot and the element. thats what i did when i did mine. they say 03-04 and 06-08 on their site for the pilot, but the instructions are the exact same for both, i think the shape of the swc and cruise surrounds might be the oly difference. the ones for the pilot wheel i did on mine and the original had a different shape, but all the electronics and resistance values are the same for th pilot and the element so if you get the whole thing off ebay with the controls then you dont have to worry about any of that. the inside where the airbag goes is the same shape.

·
Registered
296 Posts
AFter reading ekennedy's post it appears that a straight swap is possible from an 08 pilot to an 08 element. I purchased a dark grey leather wheel from Majestic as there were none on ebay that didn't look worn. The instructions look clear enough, I;ve pulled wheels off before. Hopefully the trim pieces swap over as well because the only thing I am getting is the wheel structure. I guess I'll find out either way.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I changed it out today, took under an hour. I follwed the directions on the H and A website and in my service manual. All '08 trim parts swap out perfectly to the '08 Pilot wheel 78501-S9V-A61ZC. The center of the wheel where everything is attached is the same between the Element and the Pilot. I had to use a steering wheel puller on mine, I don't think it would have come off by yanking it.

I reused all the bolts, cleaned them and put new loctite on where needed. The new wheel comes with the holes for the horn ring already preloctited.

I think the wheel spokes are as close to centered as the original wheel, there are tick marks on the wheel and on the shaft but even the OEM wheel did not line up to those so I used a sharpie to make new match marks.

Dark grey leather is a good match, not quite black but very close and not really a noticeable difference. The leather feel is much better than the stock E wheel which feels rather cheap. I imagine the market for a used stock E wheel is pretty weak....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I swapped out my wheel this weekend using this thread as a guide, the instructions couldn't have made the project any easier. A big thank you to all that gave input to this thread.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I know this is a long thread thats been going on for ages but... i thought ide add some of my own experiences

i just installed my steering wheel and shift knob. now i forget if i mentioned it but i had purchased the only full leather steering wheel for elements... now pilot wheel might have same issue im not sure. but..

my steering wheel was a 2007 orange stitching (i restitched to red) but it appears a 2007 wheel is lacking a drilled and tapped hole for a ground wire that is on 2009+ elements

i was able to reposition the wire to use another screw but I thought ide toss that out there

all in all very easy didnt need a puller and was done in under 30 min :)

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
I know this is a long thread thats been going on for ages but... i thought ide add some of my own experiences

i just installed my steering wheel and shift knob. now i forget if i mentioned it but i had purchased the only full leather steering wheel for elements... now pilot wheel might have same issue im not sure. but..

my steering wheel was a 2007 orange stitching (i restitched to red) but it appears a 2007 wheel is lacking a drilled and tapped hole for a ground wire that is on 2009+ elements

i was able to reposition the wire to use another screw but I thought ide toss that out there

all in all very easy didnt need a puller and was done in under 30 min :)
You should post some pics of what you did for the ground wire.
You should also post some pics of that restitched steering wheel!!!!

101 - 120 of 158 Posts